4 Sevens
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Every been to a Drive-In movie?

Flashaholic*

Default Every been to a Drive-In movie?

Have you ever been to a Drive-In movie?

What you like? And dislike?

I always wanted to try it. I found one around my area that is close to me; well it's NOT that close.

Default Re: Every been to a Drive-In movie?

Been like....20years since the last one closed down in our area. Fun as a kid, but the whole point of going to the drive-in had nothing to do with what was playing on the screen.

Before my time. I'd like to experience it once.

I'm guessing it was far more enjoyable in a convertible with a young lady next to you. (Back then, cars had bench seats up front.)
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

We still have one in the area but it's been a few years since I've been, you know THX theater seating and 3D takes presidence over the drive in now that I been married awhile.

Some cool things about the drive in is it can be cheap compared to regular theaters, if you go to the concessions you can still watch your, it's a pretty cool phenomenon to watch a movie while being outside, and like other mention if your on a date..well
    My flashlight collection HERE

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by blasterman View Post
    Been like....20years since the last one closed down in our area. Fun as a kid, but the whole point of going to the drive-in had nothing to do with what was playing on the screen.
    +1

You had one tinny sounding speaker to listen to, windows that would fog up, people walking around talking, etc. You had little privacy, which is why it's surprising that people would go to these things for a date then make out.

Quote Originally Posted by PCC View Post
    +1

You had one tinny sounding speaker to listen to, windows that would fog up, people walking around talking, etc. You had little privacy, which is why it's surprising that people would go to these things for a date then make out.
    Foggy windows, backseat, blankets.

Oh yeh about the speaker IIRC our drive in has and has had as far as I can remember a radio station you tuned into for the sound.

I really enjoy going to the drive in theater, it's such a nice experience going with your loved one and I really enjoy watching a movie outside, also I love my car so it's a win win for me, I have heard of the tradition of couples going and making out but personally I just like to enjoy the movie with her, my car is a hatchback so sometimes we put blankets, fold the backseats and park the car backwards with the hatch open, only downside is that my car shuts the stereo off every 30 min if the car is not on.

The drive in was a blast, used to go all the time.
    "I am not a Collector" - Tim

Flashaholic

I grew up near one. Fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    There are only 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Enlightened

Our family went many times. And I don't think we ever once drove off at the end of the movie and ripped the cord off the post with the speaker still attached to our window like people sometimes did.

Quote Originally Posted by dealgrabber2002 View Post
    Have you ever been to a Drive-In movie?
    Yes.

What you like?
    Summer night + girlfriend + Ice chest full of beer =

And dislike?
    The bathrooms were always nasty! See answer #2.

I always wanted to try it.
    Wait for a warm Summer night and go.

~ Chance
    Don't worry about your health, it's only temporary.

Yup, there is one about 12 miles from me, not too far. As I get older, the only issue is the start time for the shows, as they have to wait until it's dark ( summer only), and I can't stay up that late. LOL
    They are fun, the sound is on a channel on the radio.
    When we first moved to our current house, there was a drive in, maybe 1,000 feet from out house. We could hear the movie on our house stereo. Occassionally we would walk down and could see it from the path along the side.
    It's more about the whole experience,than it is about just the movie.
    The kids love them, as it is a FIXED Price per car, whether they are in the seats or the trunk, seriously.

Between shows guys with spotlights on their cars (50's style) would play light tag on the screen. In those days it was a cheap speaker. Later drive-ins used a low-power FM radio station for stereo sound.

My wife and I take the kids a lot. It's $15 a car load and they always show two movies. I like throwing the football around Before the show starts. Always a great time.

I loved Drive-Ins when I was a kid. There were many of them where we lived in the fifties.

Loved them as a kid and teenager. Cannot find one anymore. Surround sound did not exist at the move theatre. Sound as come a long way in our theatrs. Even the broadcast throught the car fm was not much better then the tin can you used to hang on your window for the sound.

My Girl friend (later my Wife) used to go to the drive In in Dandenong (Australia) in the mid 70's, it closed down for some years but is back up and running again.

I seem to remember the FM sound being quite good, dependant on the quality of your car stereo.

Norm

Love them. Wife and I go a few times a year. Take one of our old trucks with the bench seat and pretend we're teens again. For those in the area, the Motor Vu in Dallas, Oregon is a blast. http://www.dallasmotorvu.com
    Got Biodiesel?

Flashaholic*

I wish they will bring it back. I am sure many people would like that.

Unenlightened

Yes this is 6 months old but I just joined so pardon me.

I loved drive in theaters. It was great to be comfortable, no one kicking your seat from behind, bring your own food or snacks. The drive in my city had three screens and was built during the space age so the three screens were named Apollo, Gemini and Omega. By the time I got my first car in 1978 they had gone to broadcasting the audio over the radio. I used a label maker to make three labels that I stuck to the ash tray. Each screen name with the appropriate frequency. I even used the wood grain looking label tape so it matched pretty well with the fake wood trim on the ash tray.

Greatest memory was watching James Bond movies at the drive in. Scariest movie at the drive in? Alien. That would have been the summer between my Junior and Senior year in high school. I remember when the theater had a dusk to dawn showing of all the Planet of the Apes movies. I didn't go but I thought that was pretty cool.

There is one drive in still operating not too far from me, about 35 miles away.

I loved going to the drive in. Packing a picnic, blankets and lawn chairs. Just being outside watching a movie is just a great feeling.
    LED's impress but Incans satisfy

Quote Originally Posted by BenVincent View Post
    Yes this is 6 months old but I just joined so pardon me.
    No worries,
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

For some it was a family event, it was a great dating and double dating experience for others, and for some, it was like a Roman party of debauchery.

Imagine having all the iced beer and hard liquor that you wanted in your own van with your own food from home, and a date, blankets and no real, drunk driving laws.

If you had the van and the beer, and no date, remember that many teens didn't want to sit with their parents during the show, and were available.

There were all kinds of subcultures and dramas going on within the fences of the drive-in, even fights between youth groups, like the long hairs versus cowboys, or blacks versus whites, except they were done in the more teen like, fist fighting rules of the time.

LOL-There's none I know of around here anymore...the one by my house was closed, and was then an abandoned field for about 30 years and then was developed into a senior housing complex. The old sign for it and the framework for the screen survived for maybe 25 of those 30 years.

As a wee lad, my parents would throw the footed jammied kids into the trunk (So they didn't have to pay for us to get in, or a baby sitter to leave us behind....) and then watch the typically double features while we slept.

Later, when I ran away from home...I went with dates but no kids...and after I was married and HAD kids, I always let them SEE the movies at the drive in instead of making them stay in the trunk.

The sound is about the same in the trunk btw....its the picture that you miss.

Off the top of my head I really can't think of anything I enjoyed more than drive-ins during my youth in the 50s-60s. Hog heaven for a kid. Oh, what some of you have missed...sniff.

Flashaholic*

I love drive-ins as much, if not more, than I love flashlights. I even took the summer off of my regular job to work at a drive-in my buddy built up in Wisconsin back in 2008. The Stardust. What a fun summer. I lived in an RV on the property, and learned virtually every aspect of running a drive-in. From working security, to selling tickets, to splicing film and running the projector. It was my dream job. If only I was able to make a living at it. I may do it again someday.

The appeal of the drive-in for me, is it combines so many things I love. Cars, movies, being outdoors under a starry sky, good food (usually), and a sense of community with the other patrons. It's also about the most uniquely American way to spend an evening. We even played the Star Spangled Banner before the show started each night. We had car shows, Halloween costume contests, "trunk-or-treating" for the kids (trick-or treating from car to car), dusk till dawn shows, and classic rock and roll playing before it got dark. It's a great way to spend an evening like people did in the past.

If you haven't gone to one, you should give it a try.
    Aren't flashlights cool?
    Carry a flashlight, and you'll have a bright future.

Drive-in movies are great! But I never watched the movie! ...

Wow. Drive-in movies brings back some great times in my youth. Spent many a summer night there in my 69 Roadrunner with my High School girlfriend. We used to stay for several showings and never did see the movie...
    The nicest thing about not planning for a disaster is that it comes as a complete surprise and is not preceded by a period of worry and depression

Quote Originally Posted by AZPops View Post
    Drive-in movies are great! But I never watched the movie! ...
    Pops at the drive-in ............ Pop's date at the drive-in .................

~ Chance
    Don't worry about your health, it's only temporary.