Imalent

Thread: Good First light

Smile Good First light

I am looking for a good first LED light with nice throw.

Budget: Around 50$ (flexible)
    Format: flashlight or headlamp
    Battery type: What do you recommend?

Some other important things would be : more than one brightness setting, decent run-time, plenty of lumens:D, and for it to be fairly tough.
    One model I have looked at Is the EagleTac T100c2 MarkII. Does this make a good first light?

Default Re: Good First light

Quote Originally Posted by slickseal View Post
    I am looking for a good first LED light with nice throw.

Budget: Around 50$ (flexible)
    Format: flashlight or headlamp
    Battery type: What do you recommend?

Some other important things would be : more than one brightness setting, decent run-time, plenty of lumens, and for it to be fairly tough.
    One model I have looked at Is the EagleTac T100c2 MarkII. Does this make a good first light?
    Thanks
    I recommend all first time buyers to head over to Shiningbeam and see what he has.. it's more budget-y, but the quality is very nice.

EagleTac is a very respected company, but I like my lights to have more output levels, so I'd pass on that particular model.. but that's just me.

Just make sure whatever you get will use rechargeables.

I would suggest a zebralight H51 or SC51. It is not built for throw but as you said that it would be used for, i think its throw is enough. The best part is its an AA light with 6 different modes and can be used as a flashlight or a headlamp

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by ico View Post
    I would suggest a zebralight H51 or SC51. It is not built for throw but as you said that it would be used for, i think its throw is enough. The best part is its an AA light with 6 different modes and can be used as a flashlight or a headlamp
    I agree with that suggestion. Be sure to be clear with yourself, if you want a dedicated thrower, it won't be any use for anything closer than 20-50m. In my opinion, most people don't REALLY need to see much past 50-100m, so make sure you checkout some beamshots first. Its important to know exactly what you want. Throwers are generally more impressive though .

shining beam has a rominsen for about $30 with around 800 lumens, that will throw due to sheer horsepower alone.

Okay. I was really looking for a all purpose light that would be used for throw (100-150 yards) and for closer range general purpose use.
    would the eagle tac do that?

Thanks.

I have the EagleTac D25LC2, it has multiple modes for close settings and it puts out a lot light for stuff farther away. I have the neutral white and really light it a lot. It is a bit more than $50, but not by much. Take a look...

With you budget retrictions I would go with a Solarforce L2 body and get an R2 dereelight drop in from flashlight connection. I have one in my 6p. I bought the 3 mode version, it has lots of throw but yet still has plenty of spill for an all purpose light.

Im not sure what "nice" throw means.
    But for under $40. the JETBEAM BA20 will easily light up an area 100 feet and also a great spill area around you.
    If you need to see 100 yards or so and clearly see what your looking for, well thats a tuff order and still use the
    light for general up close use at least for your target price range.If you dont really need a thrower i recommend
    starting with the JetBeam and then getting yourself a dedicated thrower down the road.For $100.you can have both.
    Good Luck
    Union Proud IBEW Local 683