I bought a 2nd generation Inova X1 back in 2006 (You know the one with the 5mm LED that WAS NOT a spotlight?) and it was pretty much the end all be all Flashlight for me. I used it for pretty much everything and it worked great. It was just bright enough for pretty much everything and the battery life was absolutely Stellar. Well, I lent it to someone last weekend and they "accidentally" cut it with a chainsaw. Needless to say; it no longer works! I took a look at the newer X1s and they seem kind of nice but... I don't know why but I don't care for the white light much, which is unfortunate for me because it seems every LED flashlight that isn't flimsy as hell uses a White LED these days.
I am looking for a similiar sized flashlight(though I can go with something a bit larger) That has the old 5mm blue/white LED colored light. I would like the flashlight to be resistant to shock/impact and water. Battery life is also a big deal since when I go hiking at night I don't like having to carry tons of extra batteries with me. With that being said, I also filled out the sticky form for more details! Any Suggestions are appreciated!
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :-)
* Up to $200
4) Flashlight-specific format/size:
* 4 to 8 inches long, up to 1 inch thick
5) Emitter/Light source:
* Mass produced, ready out of the box
7) What battery type do you want to use?
* Single or Double AAA/AA
8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
* 5 Lumens or higher
9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light?
* 0 to 20 meters
10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).
* Atleast 3 hours
11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.
12) Switch Type and location
* Doesn't matter much.
13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. (any of the following)
* A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
* I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
* Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today’s flashlights).
* Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
* Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
15) Special wants:
* 5mm blue/white LED
* No silly Optical Spotlight, A regular reflector would be appreciated!
Thank you for your time!~