PEAK

Thread: How about a decent grill light?

Default How about a decent grill light?

Can someone point me to a quality grill handle light or a DIY version? Everything I've seen in stores or online has been cheap junk that won't hold up to the heat, weather and greasy smoke.

As an idea would a couple bright LEDs illuminating the inside of a length of PVC pipe emit light properly if the pipe had a strip of polished-edge clear acrylic inserted in a lengthwise slot--to act as a light guide?

(Also--would I do better asking in a section that gets more traffic than this one?)

Default Re: How about a decent grill light?

I have 2 cheap blue-tinted magnet base lights and love 'em. High cri? No, high blue tint. They get the job done. The are also handy for working on the car or under the sink.

Get a warm white or high-CRI headlight. That way you have both hands free for cooking, and good color rendition wherever you are looking. I own (and like) a Zebralight H51cf which has come in handy for late evening grilling and smoking, and runs great on AA Eneloops.

External color isn't really the best way to know if something is cooked. But food sure does look more appetizing with high-CRI, warm white or neutral white illumination.
    "What that thing needs, is more power." - Tim Allen

I've tried it wearing a cap with a lighted bill but honestly I feel ike a dork wearing a headlight while grilling. But the kind you are talking about could probably be adapted to the handle and many are far better quality than the POS that Weber sells for that purpose.

Just remember that excessive heat kills semiconductors and batteries. An LED grill light would survive as long as you keep it clear of the cooking heat. Perhaps a goose-neck with a solarforce body and a M61 Nichia 219 emitter... mmm now I am thinking about doing that on my own grill. Could also use a 5,6,or 9 volt wall wart to power it.
    "What that thing needs, is more power." - Tim Allen

Well the handle is several inches away from the hood and whether up or down is always cool enough to hold so I don't think heat will be a big concern.

I might want to look for headlights that are rugged built & weatherproof. I often forget to replace the cover after the grill cools.

I have a Brookstone cold cathode tube light that runs on 4-D batteries (using 10,000mAh NiMH in it). Mounts to the handle. It doesn't seem bright right when you turn it on but once warmed up for a minutes it's pretty decent.