PK Design Lab

Thread: Gift flashlight for my lovely bride

Default Gift flashlight for my lovely bride

Gentlemen (and ladies!),

I'd like to get my wonderful wife an EDC for her purse. She is a girly-girl and not interested in tech. I'd like it to be:
    Small– single AA or AAA cell
    One-hand, one-button on/off
    Single brightness level (could live with two if it's easy to operate)
    Neutral or warm color temp
    Pink or purple exterior

I don't expect to get all of these attributes in one light, but hey…

I have researched recent threads on this topic, and I see the Fenix E01 purple flashlight mentioned. Looks okay, but has a twisty interface (or so I have read). Do y'all like that? What do you suggest? I gave her a Photon Microlight long ago for her keychain, but am looking for something better.

I promise it won't be a primary gift, but a bonus, stocking-stuffer kind of gift. Been there, done that, learned my lesson!

Al Thumbs

I gave my wife a purple Fenix E01 for Christmas. She put it on her keychain, and it's still there. It's three only light I've given her that she's held on to for more than a week.

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse brevity and typos.

Default Re: Gift flashlight for my lovely bride

JETBeam E3S R4 Stainless Steel is pretty cool light, cept it does have two holes on the tail end to install a clip that I don't think it was ever made, but not sure about that!

How about KLARUS Gold MiX5 Cree R2 LED 76 LM AAAA.

Norm

Take a look at the Xeno E03 - AA, XM-L cool, neutral or warm, three levels, GITD clicky, $35, no PWM, available in black, rose red or blue (mine looks purplish). Nice quality budget light - good value. Not a keychain light, more for a purse.

I just got my girlfriend a purple olight i3. It's a 3 mode light. She likes it a lot and it's small enough that she can keep it with her all the time.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thrunite Ti Red/Blue/Green/Gold/Black (no pink nor purple).
    Simple twist 2-mode AAA. No neutral/warm tint though.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    How about KLARUS Gold MiX5 Cree R2 LED 76 LM AAAA.

Norm
    I didn't know there were AAAA cells!

Al. T.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Thumbs View Post

Al. T.
    There are AAAA cells.

Get her a colored Fenix E01 (purple, gold, or maybe even blue). Or even one of those gold Sunwayman R01's.

You said that she's not interested in tech, and I can all but guarantee you that anything you spend over $15 will be lost on her. She's gonna be much more likely to carry it (and thus be able to use it when the need actually arises) if she thinks it's cute versus being impressed with tint/brightness/modes/etc.

Flashaholic

my wife has been happiest with cheap lights. She loses them and feels bad if they're very nice

They're supposed to
    a) look nice, (so far that means shiny SS or nice red color)
    b) be small, (AAA usually)
    c) clicky (she doesn't like twisty, although she made one exception)
    d) clip preferred

so far she has been happy with
    Trustfire F21
    pro: shiny SS, small, clicky, high-low modes
    con: blinky mode, no clip, quality (I think they don't survive the drop test)

Tank007 E06, Red
    pro: red, small, clip, 2xAAA extension for penlight form
    con: quality (one has died), head glued on

CQG S2 (cnqualitygoods)
    pro: SS, small, AA(! really small for AA), hi-med-lo, spare switch, nice box, CW and NW available
    con: no clip (until I put an ld01 clip on it), very lightweight/insubstantial - we'll see how it holds up. This is the one she's been carrying recently so I guess it's a winner.

Other notes:
    Yezl S7 looks just like the Trustfire F21 but might be higher quality; I'm thinking of checking that out.

She has a DQG Mini AAA attached to a purse, it's the only twisty that she's kept.

She finds the Xeno E03 to be larger than she wants. I still highly recommend trying a red or blue(purple) one for her. it is 3 levels, but M-L-H can be treated as single level for most purposes. Friends that I've gifted it to rarely switch levels, but like knowing that they can go dimmer or brighter.

She didn't like the ITP A3 - twisty. That clicky requirement of my wife's really makes it tough. If you can get yours to love twisties there are so many more options

Hmm. for a purse, maybe a Preon1 with a clicky cap? I don't think the protruding preon clicky is suitable for pocket (other than shirt pocket) for accidental activation issues, but in a purse it might be just right. I guess she might not like L-M-H modes tho... well it's a thought. Someone's selling a pink one I think.

Sorry for the ramble.

Quote Originally Posted by pepekraft View Post
    Sorry for the ramble.
    No apology needed- that's a good and thoughtful list.

Al T.

Flashaholic

Al. T.
    If you can't find AAAA's easily, the MiX6 is the AAA version. Also available in the Midas Gold. They do look good.
    186,232 miles per second. The speed of the light from all our flashlights.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruel View Post
    Thrunite Ti Red/Blue/Green/Gold/Black (no pink nor purple).
    Simple twist 2-mode AAA. No neutral/warm tint though.
    +1

My wife has the green regular version in her purse. The UI is very intuitive. Twist -> low, Twist a bit more -> high
    My friends wife asked for the redish pink one. She loves it too.
    The 4sevens p0 is also an option as it is quite small and looks quite nice. Again a low -> high twisty.
    I've kinda given up finding a decent AAA clicky that doesn't compromise in other departments.
    4Sevens Quark AA^2 Ti, ReVo SS, Zebralight H51W, Fenix TK35, itp A3 EOS, Fenix E21 L2D, E01, TK20, LD01 SS, E01; MAG 2D w terralux drop in; AKOray k-106

Quote Originally Posted by squaat View Post
    The 4sevens p0 is also an option as it is quite small and looks quite nice. Again a low -> high twisty.
    I've kinda given up finding a decent AAA clicky that doesn't compromise in other departments.
    That's a good recommendation. The SS is kinda classy, the light is tiny, the two mode twisty is simple, you get great warranty overage from 47's, etc.

Oh, and $22 shipped makes it affordable enough to gamble on.

Enlightened

Red face Re: Gift flashlight for my lovely bride

For my first wife I gave her; 4 Sevens purple AAA 1 cell key chain light. She use it and loves it.
    "The Flogging Shall Continue Until Morale Improves!"

Quote Originally Posted by TadpolePilot View Post
    For my first wife I gave her; 4 Sevens purple AAA 1 cell key chain light. She use it and loves it.

Is this still in production?

AT

all good suggestions above - also maybe check out the itp a3 eos SS

Enlightened

Is this still in production?

AT
    It doesn't sound like the wife is... ;-)

I got my wife a Fenix E 11. Bright, small, two levels. She likes it!
    That old Black Maglight has me in its spell;
    That old Black Maglight that shines so well...

And the winner is…

Thanks so much for all the replies. I checked out all suggestions, and learned quite a bit about flashlights from your suggestions (there are Quad A cells!). I was ready to go with my original pick, the Fenix E01 in purple. That light was suggested a couple of time with some practical advice (anything trickier would likely be lost on the wife, or she'd lose it and feel bad). But finally I selected the Fenix E05 for $22, twice as much, but brighter, actually slightly smaller, and still inexpensive enough that if it's lost it's not a big deal. It comes in purple, which she will like. And it was readily available to toss into an Amazon order.

Again, thanks for your generous input.

Al Thumbs

E05 is a real solid light, if she gets mad at you tell her it's to make her ring shine brighter
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

Did someone already propose Preon P1? It's pink, can have clicky, ..
    single brightness level? .. hard to find in today's power LED flashlights.

the E01 isnt bright enough and lacks a clikcy

Please explain the "can have clicky" part. I looked this light up on foursevens.com. It seems that the P1 (single AAA) is a twisty, but the P2 (double AAA) has a clicky. Does one mix and match?

Thanks
    Al T.

Please explain the "can have clicky" part. I looked this light up on foursevens.com. It seems that the P1 (single AAA) is a twisty, but the P2 (double AAA) has a clicky. Does one mix and match?

Thanks
    Al T.
    sorry, i thought that "everbody" already knows that most 4sevens lights and parts are interchangeable (lego-ability). authorized 4sevens dealers such as EnvironmentalLED . com sell the spare clickies for ~9$ apiece or less (see cpf discount code). it will turn your Preon p1 twisty (original config) to a P1 with a clicky.

problem, you gotta pay the 9$ extra!!

Smile Re: Gift flashlight for my lovely bride

Quote Originally Posted by shelm View Post
    sorry, i thought that "everbody" already knows that most 4sevens lights and parts are interchangeable (lego-ability).
    Am new in town, don't know nuffin! Thanks for the info.

AT

Quote Originally Posted by AZPops View Post
    JETBeam E3S R4 Stainless Steel is pretty cool light, cept it does have two holes on the tail end to install a clip that I don't think it was ever made, but not sure about that!
    I agree. The E3S is beautiful and elegant. I say go 'classy' ...the website even shows a lady wearing it as jewelry!
    Lightjunction.com - Illuminate Your World!

UPDATE: I bought the Fenix E05, and it has been given. The Bride liked it very much and it has gone into her EDC handbag. Time will tell if it gets any use.

I was amazed at how small it seemed, and how much light it put out. The twisty interface is not the inconvenience I had imagined. The color temperature is cooler than my Zebralight neutral, but is still not offensively cold. And it's sort of floody– not a clearly-defined hotspot. Might have to get one for myself…

Again, thanks to all for the insights and education on small lights.

Al T.