Nikon Coolpix 8700 get wet while kayaking in Fl, droplets in lenses, what to do?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought this Nikon 8700 back in late 2005, after my truck was broken into while I was visiting a new Home Depot and my 5 month old Canon point-and-shoot was stolen(along with about $2,000 worth of tools, phone, etc).

The Nikon Coolpix 8700 is a great camera. It's a type of digital camera called a "Superzoom", and is kinda in between point and shoots and digital SLR's. When it came out in 2004, it had the same resolution potential of the top end SLR's of the time(8mp), whereas the low-medium priced SLR's were around 5-6mp, plus, unlike the SLR's, it has a built in 8x zoom with Nikkor lenses. What I like most about it, and why I dont want to buy a new camera, is that the 8700 has a cast/machined magnesium body/frame, whereas the newer cameras are mostly cheap, thin plastic. When the 8700 first came out in 2004, it retailed at around $850. I got it online in 2005 after much price shopping for $500.

So the only issue I've ever had with this camera, is that it's previously wonderful Macro setting could take VERY close pictures, but then out of nowhere about 3 years ago, the macro setting stopped working, in that it just stopped taking clear close-ups. I cant get closer than about 1.5 - 2 feet away from the subject now, or it will not focus in clearly and the picture will come out blurry, so I dont know if that can be fixed in a digital camera or not, so that will be question #1.

Now. I just got back from vacation in SE Florida, and on day 2, I went kayaking down the Loxahatchee river, about 9 miles total, and I brought my camera, but had it stored in a ziplock baggie, and I had other items also in ziplocks. That worked well on the 1st leg of the kayaking trip, then on the way back, the ziplock failed, and I had to flip the baggie with the camera inside upside down to prevent any water from splashing in from above, but when I got back to the dock, it was obvious that some water still got in. I did get some good pics at the beginning of the kayaking trip, but then the camera was out of order for the rest of my vacation.

When anything electronic gets wet, its not necessarily ruined outright. The important thing to do in this case, is dont turn the wet electronic device on until it dries. Thats what will destroy it, because the water will cause a short circuit and fry it! So I immediately removed the battery, and opened up all the little doors and covers on it, and I let it dry for a few days. Then I took the chance and turned it on. It came on OK< but then I noticed there were droplets inside the lenses. They seem to finally have dried out now(2 weeks later), but sure enough, there are spots left behind, and a bright red warning light comes on inside the viewing lens area. I have no idea what that light means, but maybe its just letting me know that the lens in obstructed by these spots, who knows.

So, with a complicated digital camera like this, can this and the macro issue be fixed? Can an "expert" disassemble it and clean the lenses, and fix the macro?

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best bet would be to contact Nikon directly and see if they still can service that model. Some of the camera companies have fixed rates for service. For example, minor service might include checking the timing and a basic cleaning. Full service might include replacing the system board or some of the optics. Most companies will give an estimate prior to any repair work being done. With an 8 year old camera, you might do better just to replace the camera rather than spend the money to repair.

If Nikon can not do the repair, there are most likely other shops that could do the fix. Chances are the lens assembly might have to be replaced, and then it becomes a matter of the parts availability.

Anyhow, contact Nikon and see what they have to say.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best bet would be to contact Nikon directly and see if they still can service that model. Some of the camera companies have fixed rates for service. For example, minor service might include checking the timing and a basic cleaning. Full service might include replacing the system board or some of the optics. Most companies will give an estimate prior to any repair work being done. With an 8 year old camera, you might do better just to replace the camera rather than spend the money to repair.

If Nikon can not do the repair, there are most likely other shops that could do the fix. Chances are the lens assembly might have to be replaced, and then it becomes a matter of the parts availability.

Anyhow, contact Nikon and see what they have to say.

Thanks....

I would buy a new camera, but when I have looked at the newer models, including new Superzooms and SLR's, they are now plastic. I want to avoid plastic cameras. Not only are they plastic, but they feel cheap and thin. I imagine the internal electronics, circuitry is probably good and all, but its plastic! Mine's magnesium... It still took great pics too. I recently had sent some pictures to have them blown up to around 24" x 18" or so, and there was no sign of pixelation whatsoever.

I did contact Nikon, and they said to send it to them, but didnt give any useful info or estimated price, or anything. They didnt even say whether they could even do anything with it or not!

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did contact Nikon, and they said to send it to them, but didnt give any useful info or estimated price, or anything. They didnt even say whether they could even do anything with it or not!

Nikon probably has a few different price points for repairs. It is difficult to give an estimate without actually looking at what needs to be done. Be prepared, it most likely will not be inexpensive.

There are Nikon 8700s listed on ebay. But, they are used cameras.

Last edited: