Fitorch        
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagletac D25 Clicky Series Round-up Review (D25C, D25A2, D25LC2 - XM-L & XP-G)

Default Re: Eagletac D25 Clicky Series Round-up Review (D25C, D25A2, D25LC2 - XM-L & XP-G)

I have two of these (warm tint XM-L D25C and D25LC2). Excellent lights, and another excellent review.

The only thing that bothers or disappoints me is that EagleTac doesn't include the 1.5mm "custom" hex key for the D25C clip screws. It has to be ordered directly from EagleTac, for $3.00. The key must cost them only a few cents (far less than the shipping costs) and I don't understand why they just didn't include it in the light. I've written to EagleTac about this.

And I wonder why a regular 1.5mm key isn't recommended.
    Last edited by JML; 06-15-2012 at 09:43 AM.
    ** EagleTac D25C, D25LC2, & G25C2 Mk. II ** JETBeam Element E3S, Jet-III Pro ST-BVC, Jet-III Military, RRT-01, & RRT-2 Raptor ** Olight Titanium Infinitum #62 (Polished) ** Sunwayman V10R Ti, V20C, & V25C**

Flashaholic

Default Re: Eagletac D25 Clicky Series Round-up Review (D25C, D25A2, D25LC2 - XM-L & XP-G)

ya, I was stumped for a while with the lanyard ring as well. Those are the times you feel stupid about the times you think "Me smart male. Me figure everything out". Should of asked the wife.
    Fenix TK35/TK21 U2/PD32/LD12/E01/ Romisen RC-T602/ Klarus XT2C/ EagleTac D25LC2 Clicky, Thrunite TN31. , Olight s10, Eagletac D25LC2 factory mod XP-G2 with 2amp driver. Eagletac D25C Ti XM-L U2, D25C ti XP-G2, GX25A3.

Quote Originally Posted by JML View Post
    I have two of these (warm tint XM-L D25C and D25LC2). Excellent lights, and another excellent review.

The only thing that bothers or disappoints me is that EagleTac doesn't include the 1.5mm "custom" hex key for the D25C clip screws. It has to be ordered directly from EagleTac, for $3.00. The key must cost them only a few cents (far less than the shipping costs) and I don't understand why they just didn't include it in the light. I've written to EagleTac about this.

And I wonder why a regular 1.5mm key isn't recommended.
    I wondered the same thing and so went to Tod @ IG (always a deep well of info, and extremely helpful) and his reply...

"... when ET sourced screws from several screw manufacturers, and then allen/hex wrenches from several tool makers - ET could find none that matched perfectly.
    The screw manufacturers said they oversized the tolerances so wider range of tools would fit, and the tool manufacturers said they undersized tolerances so they would fit more screws!
    LOL,
    it drove ET owner bonkers - this is why he went the custom size route."

Yeah, I have seen cases before where the supplied allen key was just a little too small, making it easy to strip the screws accidentally. The original Eagletac M2C4 comes to mind ...
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Spring 2018 Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

I took the clip off of my twisty D25A with a regular 1/16" hex and it seemed like it fit perfectly. Did they not use the same screws in the clicky model?

Well this is quite the little light here! Mine just showed up today and I've got to say I like the tint, beam pattern, size,
    weight, feel and balance of outputs over many lights in far higher price ranges.
    Very much a fan of UI's that allow you to optimize them through very simple commands, and right at the tip of your fingers
    here you have a light that can play as a normal flashlight with the head loosened, low light selection range or tactical
    switching between turbo and strobe.
    Probably one of the few lights that every one here should have at least one of, if not be buying them for gifting lights too.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    Well this is quite the little light here! Mine just showed up today and I've got to say I like the tint, beam pattern, size,
    weight, feel and balance of outputs over many lights in far higher price ranges.
    Very much a fan of UI's that allow you to optimize them through very simple commands, and right at the tip of your fingers
    here you have a light that can play as a normal flashlight with the head loosened, low light selection range or tactical
    switching between turbo and strobe.
    Probably one of the few lights that every one here should have at least one of, if not be buying them for gifting lights too.
    +1. I have the D25c, D25LC2, and a D25C TI, all with the XM-L U2 and am really impressed by the clean beam pattern, tint (the warmest U2 I have yet seen), and UI. I completely agree with your assesment. I have seen others complain recently about the thin walls and threads, reverse clicky, and different UI for many of these new ET clicky's, but the small form factor with such an excellent beam and class leading output with Li-ions (for now), far outweighs the few minor shortcomings these lights have.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclesport View Post
    +1. I have the D25c, D25LC2, and a D25C TI, all with the XM-L U2 and am really impressed by the clean beam pattern, tint (the warmest U2 I have yet seen), and UI. I completely agree with your assesment. I have seen others complain recently about the thin walls and threads, reverse clicky, and different UI for many of these new ET clicky's, but the small form factor with such an excellent beam and class leading output with Li-ions (for now), far outweighs the few minor shortcomings these lights have.
    I could complain too, but particularly at this price point I'm more than just a little hesitant to do so. It says moon mode, but is far brighter than moonlight, but however, if I were to list my dissatisfactions with this light, I'd likely have to find shortcomings in every other light I own as well.

To anyone complaining about the threads and tube thickness, I'd say it's a matter of them needing a different form factor rather than a case of malnutrition in this lights case. Tough enough is my assessment, for a slim, light, powerful, versatile and elegant light that will be leaving my pocket primarily only to be in my hand.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

I like the tint, beam pattern, size, weight, feel over many lights in higher price ranges.
    Yes, it is really small and bright, and has a very nice tint and beam pattern.

I could complain too . . .
    Ima go ahead and list a big complaint with my D25C XMLU2.
    On AW IMR 16340 which I have a bunch of,
    I get either 10 lumens or 750 lumens and nothing in between.
    It makes a less useful EDC as other lights I already have.

It would be great if they ever update the driver to fully work with Li-Ions.

Quote Originally Posted by GordoJones88 View Post

I guess I won't be using 14500's in mine then. What an oversight that was.

Quote Originally Posted by GordoJones88 View Post
    Yes, it is really small and bright, and has a very nice tint and beam pattern.

Ima go ahead and list a big complaint with my D25C XMLU2.

I too use 16340's as much as possible and going from low to 750+ in direct drive is the biggest shortcoming of the D25C, (although you still can switch between moonlight and low with Li-ion's). I emailed EagleTac about this when I first received the D25C clicky and was told there simply wasn't room for a more sophisticated driver in this small package to maintain regulation. In reality though, I seem to use either low or high/turbo in other lights as well.

Still...for a clicky this small and all it's previously mentioned attributes, I can overlook it till something better comes along. I like giving away outdated and less used lights to non-light friends and family anyway, since most are unaware how flashlight technology has advanced in the last few years.
    Last edited by cyclesport; 06-17-2012 at 06:33 AM.

Hopefully the XT-E version will be out soon and we will have some beamshots. Then i can finally decide

JD

Given that tiny hex keys cam out and recesses strip out so easily, they should have just gone the Torx route. Better QC and able to deal with far more torque.
    ** EagleTac D25C, D25LC2, & G25C2 Mk. II ** JETBeam Element E3S, Jet-III Pro ST-BVC, Jet-III Military, RRT-01, & RRT-2 Raptor ** Olight Titanium Infinitum #62 (Polished) ** Sunwayman V10R Ti, V20C, & V25C**

Enlightened

The whole clip/locking-ring construction might be my biggest gripe with the LC2.
    I don't want a clip at all and the locking ring sticks out from the otherwise flush body.
    Without the locking ring a sharp (but flush) edge is left on the body.
    I guess I will try to find a lathe and just machine the sharp edge off.
    Why the did not just go with the simple D25A / D25C solution (with Torx screws and including the tool) is beyond me.

Otherwise I am really happy with my purchase... a great light for daily use and biking too.

I guess I won't be using 14500's in mine then. What an oversight that was.
    Yeah, I was ready to push the D25A ti buy button until I found this out. For me, moonlight or direct drive couldn't be less useful. I seem to use the medium setting most often with my Quarks with occasional "turbo". And NiMHs aren't bright enough to justify the buy IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by SCEMan View Post
    Yeah, I was ready to push the D25A ti buy button until I found this out. For me, moonlight or direct drive couldn't be less useful. I seem to use the medium setting most often with my Quarks with occasional "turbo". And NiMHs aren't bright enough to justify the buy IMHO.
    Tis why I went with the D25C Ti. Brighter on Primaries and currently using LiFePO4 vs D25A. I just wish it didn't look so "chubby" -- the D25A Mini seems like the prefect proportion concerning aesthetics . So sexy .

Getting a little sick of ''head loosened'' mode flickering. Yes it happens when threads are perfectly clean and lubed. Reminds me of 4-sevens quark loos head syndrome.

Why don't they put low-med-high-turbo on head TIGHT mode and useless flashing modes on head LOOSE mode?

Head loose mode sucks on every light I've ever owned, and on every light with head loose mode, all the modes I use most are in the most unreliable head loose mode.

Ridiculous. I'm about to send it back and try again, for a third light (first was defective).

Quote Originally Posted by BWX View Post
    Getting a little sick of ''head loosened'' mode flickering. Yes it happens when threads are perfectly clean and lubed.
    Which lube do you use? Some lubes are not recommended in this case because they reduce the friction between the male&female threads too much.

Enlightened

Why don't they put low-med-high-turbo on head TIGHT mode and useless flashing modes on head LOOSE mode?
    That would be a great idea, 4 modes on a tight head with moonlight to turbo would make for a perfect interface.
    People with use for a tactical strobe could still have instant access to it with a loosened head.

My solution is to put a circular piece of paper between body and head, which completely locks out turbo/strobe.
    Not perfect since you loose max output but it is not that bad since High and Turbo are pretty close in terms of output (Especially after the step-down).

Quote Originally Posted by phips View Post
    That would be a great idea, 4 modes on a tight head with moonlight to turbo would make for a perfect interface.
    People with use for a tactical strobe could still have instant access to it with a loosened head.

My solution is to put a circular piece of paper between body and head, which completely locks out turbo/strobe.
    Not perfect since you loose max output but it is not that bad since High and Turbo are pretty close in terms of output (Especially after the step-down).
    My thoughts exactly. If I could have my way, I would leave out the strobe modes entirely. I should be getting my D25A Ti Clicky tomorrow, and I will most likely do what you did and lock out turbo/strobe.

Quote Originally Posted by shelm View Post
    Which lube do you use? Some lubes are not recommended in this case because they reduce the friction between the male&female threads too much.
    Not sure what friction has to do with it- but I use Super Lube synthetic grease right now. I've experimented with a lot from white lithium grease to pure silicone. Anything that will not damage rubber o-rings. Super Lube seems to work better than anything I've tried so far.

The problem seems to be because the head and body threads are too far apart ans cause wobble, so if you happen to be touching the head when using light, it might shift and wobble, breaking contact.

I know if I took a screwdriver to the threads and gouge them a little, that would actually help, because where those imperfections are, the threads will at least be touching. I don't really want to do that though.

I could also make the body slightly more oval. Yeah, seems a little overkill.. squashing the body slightly to make sure the threads are touching.. I know that would work if I didn't break the thing in the process.

Too bad they can't just use tight enough tolerances in the first place and make the threads tight enough for ''head loose'' mode to work properly in the first place.

Too bad they can't just use tight enough tolerances in the first place and make the threads tight enough for ''head loose'' mode to work properly in the first place.
    Is your D-Clicky the Titanium or the aluminum? If you think that threads are too playful in the loosened mode, i would have checked with other shipped samples of the same model. Maybe your specimen went a little off from the CNC machines. Typically o-rings are thick enough to solve such problems.
    I would definitely try sticky lube such as Nextorch Silicone Grease (~2$). With this stuff the threads will keep their position and not loosen further.

Quote Originally Posted by shelm View Post
    Is your D-Clicky the Titanium or the aluminum? If you think that threads are too playful in the loosened mode, i would have checked with other shipped samples of the same model. Maybe your specimen went a little off from the CNC machines. Typically o-rings are thick enough to solve such problems.
    I would definitely try sticky lube such as Nextorch Silicone Grease (~2$). With this stuff the threads will keep their position and not loosen further.
    Yeah the O-ring keeps it pretty tight, but if you touch it while it's on, it moves enough to sometimes cause flickering. Then it'll flicker until I move it again. I've experimented with 1/4 turn, 1/2 turn 1 turn out when operating it in that loose mode. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

I use it every day, and yesterday it didn't flicker once. I don't know. The Suber Lube is pretty thick, I have to sqeeze it out of a tube with some force. I could try that other stuff. I think the threads just lose good contact in certain circumstances no matter what.

EDIT- It's aluminum.
    Last edited by BWX; 06-28-2012 at 07:45 AM.

I think the threads just lose good contact in certain circumstances no matter what.
    BWX, you might well be right that with your sample, no matter what, you continue to experience issues. It would be too bad if you could not exchange it for a better machined copy ( i would check with your dealer or with the manufacturer ).
    I never tried Super Lube grease .. i only know that it is supposed to reduce friction between 2 metal surfaces (teflon-based lube!) and twisting action will be smoother if you apply Superlube (grease or oil).

As repeatedly stated in other cpf threads, sticky stuff like the mentioned silicone grease (watch the part with the toothpick!, i own this stuff) will fill in space between the loose threads, practically kill play, and make twisting threads harder. For example, a head in the loosened position wont get lost anymore!

To overcome your issues, i would ask the dealer for a replacement copy, and also order the 2$ silicone grease (e.g. from CPFMP supporting dealer DX.com).

Ok, got my D25A Titanium clicky today. It has a fluorescent rubber boot that is apparently larger in diameter than the black one seen on non-titanium clickies. The larger diameter prevents using the supplied lanyard, since the hook is too big to fit between the rubber boot and body tube. Has anyone else noticed the same? No biggie, since I don't intend to use the lanyard anyway.

Flashaholic

Can I use unprotected 18650 in D25LC2?

Quote Originally Posted by Romanko View Post
    Can I use unprotected 18650 in D25LC2?
    Well, judging from the runtimes, even my protected cells don't get tripped in regular usage (i.e., drop-off to a low level occurs). So you could use unprotected cells and expect much the same pattern.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Spring 2018 Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Fantastic review as always, great lamp, seemingly, with a too complex UI scheme for my tastes.

Thanks for the extensive tests and measurements! I am too in the market for the D-series. Now i need to find dealers with low international shipping costs

Quote Originally Posted by not a fighter View Post
    Fantastic review as always, great lamp, seemingly, with a too complex UI scheme for my tastes.
    How is one click to low, then soft click to medium then again to high complex? This is a very simple light to use. Give it a try and I am sure that you will find it very enjoyable!!

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast