Angryfox        
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagletac D25 Clicky Series Round-up Review (D25C, D25A2, D25LC2 - XM-L & XP-G)

Default Re: Eagletac D25 Clicky Series Round-up Review (D25C, D25A2, D25LC2 - XM-L & XP-G)

My D25LC2 is built as great as any other light from this factory: Olight, ITP, 4Sevens. Perfect fit and finish, well-centered LED, beautiful floody XML beam.
    I would fear that after long-time usage the small-ish threads could wear off because they are bare aluminum threads like 4Sevens Quark threads but you get 10 years performance guarantee so no need to worry.

It is also easy to replace the lens if it is broken or you wanted to deploy a diffuser lens for an even floodier beam.

In terms of build quality or production quality, i would rate Eagletac lights 100% on a par with Olight, ITP or 4Sevens production lights. Not worse nor any better than them.

Default Re: Eagletac D25 Clicky Series Round-up Review (D25C, D25A2, D25LC2 - XM-L & XP-G)

I hear you! I got one of the first D25LC2's when released and it has been perfect in every way, and was recently thinking of getting another one but w/all these recent complaints of numerous ET Customer Service and QA issues, I'm reconsidering it. Makes me think there's been a manufacturing glitch and somehow a bad bunch of D-Series lights has made it to market...it happens. If I do, I'll get it from Illumination Gear since I'm sure Tod will take care of any issues that might occur...that guy is golden in my book, and truly stands behind everything he sells.

So on your guy's LC2 the head doesn't wiggle back and forth about 2mm when about 1/2 turn loose? WTF mine's ridiculous.. since day one, and this was a replacement for first one that was defective (driver was FUBAR wouldn't turn on in head tight mode for more that 1 sec.). Amazing I can get two messed up ones.

Quote Originally Posted by BWX View Post
    So on your guy's LC2 the head doesn't wiggle back and forth about 2mm when about 1/2 turn loose?
    Not with the o-ring on.
    ( and none of us dares to remove the o-ring. it is soo thin and delicate looking. )

Hmm. my o-ring is there.. bet I got high end of QC tolerance head and low end of QC tolerance body and it's just a poor fit.. Unless they changed oring size to bigger after I got mine? I don't know.

Assuming that you got indeed a poor sample, i would not hesitate a day to contact your dealer and or Eagletac to ask for "some solution". If the product build quality doesnt satisfy you because yours is a poor sample, then Eagletac manufacturer and or dealer will do their best to provide something better. There's really no need to put up with an inferior sample.

Premium brand Eagletac is to please its users

I'm considering an LC2 in XP-G2 as well, has anyone seen them "in the wild" yet?

Quote Originally Posted by TweakMDS View Post
    I'm considering an LC2 in XP-G2 as well, has anyone seen them "in the wild" yet?
    Not yet. Please dont make your vote too early!

Poll: EagleTac D25-series: Which model(s) did you buy?

... Amazing I can get two messed up ones.
    Well, doesn't surprise me - as I mentioned in a post above, I got three D25A Ti Clickies and all three have different quality issues, although not as bad as yours sound.

Another weird thing is that there is a huge build up of dust and lint behind the lens somehow thay keeps getting worse, yet it seems waterproof.. I don't understand that at all.
    I have to laugh at this one.... this was how I finally discovered one my units was shipped with no lens! - and after a couple days of using it. I've even compared all three units looking for lens scratches and thought it was odd when I couldn't see the purplish reflection of the anti-glare coating on one sample (though the lens was in backwards).

(I have a habit of never touching optical glass, except to clean it with fluid)

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    Well, doesn't surprise me - as I mentioned in a post above, I got three D25A Ti Clickies and all three have different quality issues, although not as bad as yours sound.

I have to laugh at this one.... this was how I finally discovered one my units was shipped with no lens! - and after a couple days of using it. I've even compared all three units looking for lens scratches and thought it was odd when I couldn't see the purplish reflection of the anti-glare coating on one sample (though the lens was in backwards).

(I have a habit of never touching optical glass, except to clean it with fluid)
    Btw what fluid did u use to clean lenses with AR coating? Pressed the lens accidentally once instead of the gitd button. At least my to ti d25c clicky has a lens

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 2

Another question,
    does NE1 know how well the Quark diffuser (Quark prism) fits on the D25LC2 Clicky bezel?
    I am sure that it fits. But i am not sure how well it fits. Too tight? too lose.
    And what are the performance results? Recommendable, or better pass?

Another point of consideration is the generation of heat. The SS bezel gets really hot very fast. How does the high temperature influence the rubber? High degree of influence? Very bad?

Well, the chances that 1 cpf user owns both a Quark and the Quark prism and the Eagletac D25LC2 Clicky are rather low i guess
    Last edited by shelm; 09-21-2012 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shelm View Post
    does NE1 know how well the Quark diffuser (Quark prism) fits on the D25LC2 Clicky bezel?
    I am sure that it fits. But i am not sure how well it fits. Too tight? too lose.
    It fits fine. It is slightly more snug than on the Quark line, but I was able to get it on/off the D25LC2 without too much difficulty. It certainly won't fall off accidentally.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Spring 2018 Sale
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Thanks for testing!! Fitting accessory for the D25LC2 Clicky then, good to know!

I hope that the rubber material wont disintegrate or get damaged after long time use on HI (not TURBO) mode . Maybe the diffuser lens could be used as direct replacement for the D25LC2 Clicky glass?

Well, if the two lenses have the same diameter and the same thickness, in theory this would work. But there may be cheaper alternatives to get a diffuser lens for the D25LC2!

the 4sevens prism is rather pricey!

Quote Originally Posted by kaabob View Post
    Btw what fluid did u use to clean lenses with AR coating? Pressed the lens accidentally once instead of the gitd button. At least my to ti d25c clicky has a lens

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 2
    I just used tiny spritz of windex on a tissue for the D25, but what I really meant was for my eyeglasses.... I never touch the lens except to wash with soap and water, followed by a tissue drying. I'd consider the same for my flashlights, but I doubt my D25s are waterproof - most have pinched O-rings on the tailcap (which feels like it is glued on).

Enlightened

A big kudos to self built for this awesome great review. And to all posters to this thread. Now my 1+hour to read/digest all these information...Anyone had the d25A clicky?

Quote Originally Posted by Korgath View Post
    Anyone had the d25A clicky?
    you Serious?

It is one of the least popular models in that series.

Selfbuilt, thanks for this astonishing review.
    It happens that I own a D25C Ti flashlight.
    Do you think it would be worth investing in a couple of AW's LiFePo4 cells (in order not to lose the various levels)?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by daberti View Post
    It happens that I own a D25C Ti flashlight.
    Do you think it would be worth investing in a couple of AW's LiFePo4 cells (in order not to lose the various levels)?
    It's a good question. I haven't tested LiFePO4 cells in these lights, so I don't know how they perform. It's possible a fuller range of mode levels would be supported ... has anyone here tried it?
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Spring 2018 Sale

I'll test it myself as soon as my LiFePO4 cells from AW will arrive

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    It's a good question. I haven't tested LiFePO4 cells in these lights, so I don't know how they perform. It's possible a fuller range of mode levels would be supported ... has anyone here tried it?

Enlightened

I'll test it myself as soon as my LiFePO4 cells from AW will arrive
    Have they arrived yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalvik120 View Post
    Have they arrived yet?
    Received today. BTW I didn't receive the notification of your reply

Good news: all levels work as expected!!
    Dan

It is a pity that we dont have comparative data for the D25A (e.g. the coolwhites XML U2 or XP-G2). Ive been checking and comparing D25A reviews by several other reviewers and it seems that the XML U2 D25A on Eneloops is one of the brightest 1xAA lights of its kind, even brighter than Quark X AA² (with 1x Eneloop AA).

Since the Quark XP-G2 is out, it would be an interesting comparison: D25A XP-G2 vs. Quark XP-G2, on 1x Eneloop AA.

It would be great to have official output data (measured by selfbuilt) for the D25A XP-G2 and D25A XM-L U2 since the D25A appears to be a well-selling model from the D25-series.

Such data would be helpful only to satisfy my (or our) curiosity, i admit. Why? Because this CPF review thread is already among the "most active" review threads ever and has enhanced popularity and sales of these models to such a degree that probably every regular CPF reader is well aware of Eagletac and Eagletac D25-series.

Eagtac brand probably doesnt need/want more models of the series reviewed in this very thread. And since the D25-series has had already vast exposure on CPF i dont think that the company is too interested in sending out more review samples, e.g. the D25A models..

*sigh*

Anyway, @selfbuilt, would you expand the OP review with data/graphs/tests/measurements/photos/descriptions of the D25A models if the company sent you D25A XML U2 *and* D25A XP-G2? -- Maybe they are reading/listening right now :P

Enlightened

It is a pity that we dont have comparative data for the D25A (e.g. the coolwhites XML U2 or XP-G2). Ive been checking and comparing D25A reviews by several other reviewers and it seems that the XML U2 D25A on Eneloops is one of the brightest 1xAA lights of its kind, even brighter than Quark X AA² (with 1x Eneloop AA).

Since the Quark XP-G2 is out, it would be an interesting comparison: D25A XP-G2 vs. Quark XP-G2, on 1x Eneloop AA.

It would be great to have official output data (measured by selfbuilt) for the D25A XP-G2 and D25A XM-L U2 since the D25A appears to be a well-selling model from the D25-series.

Such data would be helpful only to satisfy my (or our) curiosity, i admit. Why? Because this CPF review thread is already among the "most active" review threads ever and has enhanced popularity and sales of these models to such a degree that probably every regular CPF reader is well aware of Eagletac and Eagletac D25-series.

Eagtac brand probably doesnt need/want more models of the series reviewed in this very thread. And since the D25-series has had already vast exposure on CPF i dont think that the company is too interested in sending out more review samples, e.g. the D25A models..

*sigh*

Anyway, @selfbuilt, would you expand the OP review with data/graphs/tests/measurements/photos/descriptions of the D25A models if the company sent you D25A XML U2 *and* D25A XP-G2? -- Maybe they are reading/listening right now :P

I can confirm that it does well with eneloops and it is a singer with 14500s in it. The emitter can really sing out and sometimes I'll turn it off and back on to shut it up. Tis a tad annoying to be honest but what brightness. This is my brightest light. The D25AM in Ti in the twisty that I own is brighter not just by a little but quite a bit more so than my JetBeam PA10 and I know that one is 330-340 Lumens with a fresh A&W 750mAh battery in it. The same battery in the D25 simply astounds. There is not better word for it. Mine has the cool white XM-L-U2. I love the wow factor of the light. It gets hot fast though and man do I mean hot. Being a twisty it can be necessary to grab something like a shirt or a pot holder to turn it off if you wait over a minute with a new battery. I think EagleTac is now saying in the literature to just use it thirty second bursts on a fresh battery. I do love the light with a regular Eneloop though. I use those a lot. I do not like the way low is the first setting on my light though. It is too low to begin with and medium is fine for most indoor uses. Bright is surprising even with the Eneloop in it. I get good run times with my Eneloops too which is another surprise. The Jetbeam kills those faster but this one seems to like em. I can't explain the better efficiency. I can pull one I've been using that is no longer one I can tolerate in the JetBeam and put that battery in the D25A and still use it a little more with acceptable light too which is something else to note.

Quote Originally Posted by STR View Post
    I get good run times with my Eneloops too which is another surprise. The Jetbeam kills those faster but this one seems to like em. I can't explain the better efficiency.
    + 1

I measured runtimes repeatedly and published them in the Clicky Ti thread. The repeated runtime testruns ensure that the numbers are valid: awesome runtimes.

Question is, which 1xEneloop AA light is brighter or more efficient than the D25A XML U2 CW? Only Zebralight SC51 or SC52 comes to my mind. Then the question is, how much brighter and more efficient is Zebralight?

Tough comparison. The SC52 isnt out yet nor do we have selfbuilt measurements for the D25A XML U2. D*mn!

If Eagletac wants to sent me a D25A, I would be happy to add it to the review.

Quote Originally Posted by STR View Post
    I can confirm that it does well with eneloops and it is a singer with 14500s in it. The emitter can really sing out and sometimes I'll turn it off and back on to shut it up.
    Hmmm, likely some sort of inductor whine. Inductor hum/whine is highly variable, and generally related to specific drive levels on specific voltage sources (i.e., it's a resonance effect in the inductor coil, so the specific frequency matters greatly).

Received today. BTW I didn't receive the notification of your reply

Good news: all levels work as expected!!
    Update: tested also on JB RRT-01. This one shuts off when there is no more juice with these cells, and mesured V is 2.33 .
    Will let you know if same goes with D25C.
    In both cases I have to note that flashlights run noticeable cooler at max output!
    Dan

Selfbuilt, I would appreciate if you could confirm the brightness levels available for D25A Clicky when 14500 is used. I seem to read contradictory reports from users here and from EagleTac CS. Thanks.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruel View Post
    Selfbuilt, I would appreciate if you could confirm the brightness levels available for D25A Clicky when 14500 is used. I seem to read contradictory reports from users here and from EagleTac CS. Thanks.
    He has only reviewed the A2 model & not the D25A so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruel View Post
    Happy to if they send me one.

Quote Originally Posted by ZRXBILL View Post
    He has only reviewed the A2 model & not the D25A so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    Happy to if they send me one.

Well, I'll be damn. Can I blame it on my aging eyesight?

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast