Flashlight for Dorm Room

explorerlyon

Newly Enlightened
My son is headed off to college. What can I send him with for his dorm room? He has used Mini Mag Lights for years. I want to get him something higher quality. Prefer to spend under $50. AA or AAA so he can easily buy batteries.

Danielight

Enlightened
EagleTac makes very nice lights. For example, consider this one (available at illuminationGear for $39.99):

EagleTac D25A Mini - 1xAA - 168 Lumens
- XP-G S2 Emitter- 3 Brightness levels 5/44/130/168* Lumens
- OTF 3/29/86/110*
- 1000 LUX
- Runtime 50+/6/1.2 hrs
- 5 Hidden Auxiliary modes - Strobe/Flash-High/SOS/Beacon/Flash-Low
- "Twisty" Switch type
- Head Diameter .69"
- Length 3.1"
Included Accessories: Stainless Pocket Clip, Lanyard, Rigid Belt Holster* Turbo Boost for 90 Seconds.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get him hooked on a little Eagtac flashlight, more reputable imho than XTAR. foursevens are too pricey and klarus not mainstream at all (short runtimes! in actual tests). Eagtac keeps our scene vivid and exciting, like a pulse which Maglite used to be in the beginning with constant updates. Sites like md-lightsource . com, illumination gear or light junction carry them all in stock; all three are supporting sellers on cpfmp. Eagtac is US brand, US company. well-loved on cpf.

The cute Eagtac D25 clickies were recently reviewed by selfbuilt. Outstanding efficiency and compactness.

+ 1 for the D25A clicky or mini (1xAA/14500)

i am sure that you wouldnt regret the purchase and that he'd be immensely fond of it (superb packaging, holster, all top quality feel).

EDIT: the only disadvantage i see with the D25A is: it's MAYBE too slim to be mounted on a bycicle. and people could bug him ("where did you get this?" "how much is it?" "can you order one for me?"), or he could turn into a flashaholic who wants more (of the non-budget) flashlight stuff, like foursevens, fenix. Eagtac lights are addictive!

Last edited:

Kevinkw1

Newly Enlightened
Agree with the eagletac d25 aa clicky recommendation. Recently released light too. I think he will appreciate a clicky as he would have been used to the mini mag twist for years.

JJohn

Enlightened
My kid really likes my ZebraLight AA. The switch on the side, the low low, and the UI seems to be a huge hit with teenagers. AA batteries are always preferred.

sniper

Enlightened
It depends on what size he Likes. Similar in size to the MMags, , the Terralux Light Star 220 hasa clicky, 2 levels, 2 AA, is bright, and not really expen$ive. For a smaller one, I bought my wife the Fenix E 11. Small, Bright 1 AA.

Gooby

Newly Enlightened
Something small, edc sized would be best, and clickies i think are the best for the size and i just like them the most.

Danielight

Enlightened
I originally recommended the EagleTac D25A Mini (twisty) because of its < $50 price tag ($39.99). However, if explorerlyon is willing to go a little above $50, illuminationGear also offers the EagleTac D25A CLICKY (XM-L U2 or XM-L T6) for $51.99. Either light would be good, but I'd probably go with the clicky, even though it's a little more expensive.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
EagleTac D25A CLICKY (XM-L U2 or XM-L T6) for $51.99. Either light would be good, but I'd probably go with the clicky
the Eagtac D25A Clicky XP-G S2 costs $$46.90$ [ET/D25A-C/XP-G] but i'd probably go with the XM-L U2. bright, floody, and more valuable than the Xeno E03 XM-L (T5/T6).

explorerlyon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advice. I love the look of the Eagletac. I am ok with the 1xAA version at $52. How does this light compare to the Fenix LD12 at about the same price?

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
the D25A is on my purchase list (ive put it on order!) and i was looking at the LD12 too. has a genial user interface and imho superior to the D25A's UI. fenix is also the better brand with thousands of customers (amazon, ..), the best known Ch*na-made brand for power LED flashlights. the LD12 has an old emitter (XP-G R5) with great electronic circuit and very good runtimes (according to official specs). Why i preferred the Eagtac?

The looks, esthetic design. I dont find the LD12 pretty, beautiful, elegant, sexy nor attractive in any way, just look at it. Then surf over to the apple-like Eagtac website and look at their products. Exciting looks!!

Boys are not girls. But guess why girls enjoy, love and desire jewelry. Often looks are important and decisive (hot car, hot flashlight, hot clothes, hot girlfriend, hot guy) and while it's a matter of taste and in the eye of the beholder, this practical aspect of enjoying a possession should never be overlooked. If the LD12 performs better (longer runtimes for example) than the D25A, does it also mean that i will enjoy the LD12 more? Not me. I will enjoy the better looking torch more ... simply because it is better looking. And that is exactly the reason why some flashlight models exist in a variety of colored anodizations (Fenix E01, ..).

Some Fenix lights have good looks (LD20, ..) vs. most Eagtac lights have outstanding looks (wow factor). S*x sells! (EDIT: i am now realizing that the linked thread was started by the same OP lol!!)

btw, if you check cpf thread history you will notice that there is massive enthusiastic response regarding Eagtac flashlights, for example the original D25 series ("Mini") and now the D25 Clickies (and Titanium), and response for the LD12 was rather moderate ("meh"). There is nothing to be excited about with a LD10 or LD12.

Last edited:

Brokenbuyyer

Newly Enlightened
... foursevens are too pricey and klarus not mainstream at all (short runtimes! in actual tests). Eagtac keeps our scene vivid and exciting, like a pulse which Maglite used to be in the beginning with constant updates. Sites like md-lightsource . com, illumination gear or light junction carry them all in stock; all three are supporting sellers on cpfmp. Eagtac is US brand, US company. well-loved on cpf.

So you guys are all recommending the Eagtac D25A for $51.99 (XM-L U2 or Xm-L T6). Yet you say that foursevens are too pricey when it's roughly the same. It would be easy to find the clearance 4Sevens of the old branding?

Not questioning your statement, but rather I'm looking for my first light as well and need some insight. Should I be looking into the D25A as per recommendations or get a 4Sevens?

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not questioning your statement, but rather I'm looking for my first light as well and need some insight. Should I be looking into the D25A as per recommendations or get a 4Sevens?
4sevens is on clearance, true. with cpf discount code one could dig and find a Quark X AA² Tactical for 40$ (shipped or not i dunno), nice price. i have it too. after Fenix, the Quark is probably the most often reviewed power LED flashlight on youtube, proud young (age!) owners film the unboxing, read off the specs from the manual, tell how much they like the new purchase and then title the youtube video "review". super useless videos, most 4sevens video reviews are like that!

i am going to recommend the Quarks too. however their typical street price is around ~70$ and therefore it's not a fair comparison (or inclusion).

My only substantial gripe with Quark(s) is the tint lottery: the standard offering (preon, quark, xpg, xml, clearance) is not known for non-greenish tints. "Nice" tints (i.e. with less or no greenishness) will cost you extra in form of special runs: High CRI, WarmWhite, NeutralWhite, a.o. Do a board search on < quark greenish > and you'll learn ..

There is always tint lottery with flashlights, sure. Eagtacs are rather known for premium tints and the least colorization across the beam profile.

If you dont mind greenish tints and can get a Quark for 40$ and looks dont count much in your book, then i'd give the nod to a quark 1xAA or 2xAA. Has perfect diameter (Ø22.0mm) to fit Fenix accessories (Ø21.5mm), a reversible clip (normal carry or deep carry), tactical momentary activation, different tail caps (for tailstand or not), full support of Li-Ions (no eaten modes!), state of the art efficiency and regulation (buck-boost-driver) and good professional looks (yet unexciting like Pretty Woman Julia Roberts no offense). Sooo many cpf boardies own a quark and are happy with it. :rolleyes:

Quark is a functional workhorse, very practical and extremely versatile. :thumbsup:
Eagtac is an attractive joystick, slim, light-weight and compact. Delights the people.
drool.gif

Solution is: order the two and test them for a few days, then take a final decision and return (for a full refund) the one which you "liked" least. Quark is a great torch but maybe you will like the Eagtac a hint more because it produces more joy (because of the better looks). A flashaholic doesnt agonize but buys them both!! :D

EDIT: Look at the impact of selfbuilt's review, 1000 views within 48 hrs and 37 replies already!!?!?!?! Seriously LOL?

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
My son is headed off to college. What can I send him with for his dorm room? He has used Mini Mag Lights for years. I want to get him something higher quality. Prefer to spend under $50. AA or AAA so he can easily buy batteries.

You know, if your son likes Mini Mags the new Mini Maglite Pro Plus has the classic feel and quality of the old Mags with a 60/245 lumen output, good runtimes and only about $30. Robin24k reviewed it here:

Link removed

I just got one and I'm in love with a Maglite for the first time in years. They aren't available in the big box stores yet, you'll need to try an online retailer like Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brokenbuyyer

Newly Enlightened
Quark is a functional workhorse, very practical and extremely versatile. :thumbsup:
Eagtac is an attractive joystick, slim, light-weight and compact. Delights the people.
drool.gif

Solution is: order the two and test them for a few days, then take a final decision and return (for a full refund) the one which you "liked" least. Quark is a great torch but maybe you will like the Eagtac a hint more because it produces more joy (because of the better looks). A flashaholic doesnt agonize but buys them both!! :D

EDIT: Look at the impact of selfbuilt's review, 1000 views within 48 hrs and 37 replies already!!?!?!?! Seriously LOL?

Thanks for the post...

My initial thought was to get the 4Sevens QMini 123 Ti. People weren't selling used, so I looked for regular aluminums. It was new at ~$35 from FourSevens but didn't like the new branding. During this time I started reading and started discovering so many different options: Xtar, Fenix, Zebralight, EagTac...

Was recommended the EagTac D25C and almost bought that. I guess both brands would be good. At the time of writing the EagTac and Quark's will be roughly in the same price range with clearance/discount.

After reading all this I think your son will be very satisfied with a D25A XM-L U2 at $52. I'm considering the Thrunite Ti for a keychain light and it's a steal at only $16.

If you are stuck with the EagTac/Quark like me, do what shelm said: "buy both" for your son and let him decide what he wants.

(I personally bought a Fenix L1D and Zebralight SC51 just cause they were both a steal. Gonna have to consider the SC51 or a D25A)
Also filled out the survey for Coast for a free light (pay shipping) not sure when that'll get here. Hope I didn't hijack too much and that this will be somewhat helpful.

Hard to beat the price of a mini maglite or even a C or D cell powered one.

See post above. Was going to start with one, but there are sooo many others choices I'd prefer. Aesthetics included

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
(I personally bought a Fenix L1D and Zebralight SC51 just cause they were both a steal. Gonna have to consider the SC51 or a D25A)
Contradiction Brokenbuyyer? Have you bought the SC51 already (which price)? Zebralights have industry-leading Eneloop efficiency but Quarks and Eagtac are in the same top league, even with official LiIon support. Fenix too but Fenix lights are driven at lower current levels: they are dim with long runtimes and therefore a different horse imho. Zebralight designs interesting compact torches with comfortable UI (and no tactical momentary activation) and the stellar efficiency on Eneloops. For 1/3 of their MSRP i would buy one, although i really dislike their esthetics. In practice the lack of some essential features makes them much less versatile than Quarks (Fenix accessories, Quark prism, reversible clip, keyring/lanyard attachment, removal of clip, accidental activation, lacking esthetics, bad tail looks'n feel, ..). I observe Zebralights product line and when they produce a light which really rivals a Quark, then i would buy one.

In any case, a nice dealer would ship a box full of torches and let you try them out. Once you do, things like specs (runtime, 130lm vs 200lm, efficiency) will become less important and why you like a torch better than the other will depend on things which are not found on the specs sheet:
+ versatility
+ haptics
+ looks, esthetics
+ glitches, deal breakers
+ tint
+ beam beauty, beam perfection
+ (...)

Remove the pocket clip from the SC51 and use it for a while. you wont like it.. because of the sharp edges. Yes, the pocket clip is removable but the pocket clip is not meant to be removed. The SC51 was not designed to be used without pocket clip.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Quarks and Zebralights for their moonlight modes and other low single digit lumen levels (<4). Those low levels will really be ideal in shared dorm room to minimize disturbance to the roommates, not to mention runtimes well in the hundreds of hours per AA, and of course being easy on night adjusted eyes.

Brokenbuyyer

Newly Enlightened
Contradiction Brokenbuyyer? Have you bought the SC51 already (which price)? Zebralights have industry-leading Eneloop efficiency but Quarks and Eagtac are in the same top league, even with official LiIon support. Fenix too but Fenix lights are driven at lower current levels: they are dim with long runtimes and therefore a different horse imho. Zebralight designs interesting compact torches with comfortable UI (and no tactical momentary activation) and the stellar efficiency on Eneloops. For 1/3 of their MSRP i would buy one, although i really dislike their esthetics. In practice the lack of some essential features makes them much less versatile than Quarks (Fenix accessories, Quark prism, reversible clip, keyring/lanyard attachment, removal of clip, accidental activation, lacking esthetics, bad tail looks'n feel, ..). I observe Zebralights product line and when they produce a light which really rivals a Quark, then i would buy one.

In any case, a nice dealer would ship a box full of torches and let you try them out. Once you do, things like specs (runtime, 130lm vs 200lm, efficiency) will become less important and why you like a torch better than the other will depend on things which are not found on the specs sheet:
+ versatility
+ haptics
+ looks, esthetics
+ glitches, deal breakers
+ tint
+ beam beauty, beam perfection
+ (...)

Remove the pocket clip from the SC51 and use it for a while. you wont like it.. because of the sharp edges. Yes, the pocket clip is removable but the pocket clip is not meant to be removed. The SC51 was not designed to be used without pocket clip.

No I bought it at $45 from Marketplace. Was going use it and see if I liked it. Then consider that or the D25A.

Took me awhile to decide on the Zebralight. Didn't like them at first, but then thought to just give them a try. The general mass seems to like them and they are pretty appealing to me now. Might get a Quark 123 for $38.

Right now I have SC51, D25A, QMini 123, Quark 123 on my list. Then maybe a Thrunite Ti or Fenix E01 on my keychain. This is what I've come up with on my search for my first light. For the SC51 gonna try to back pocket carry it.

I like the Quarks and Zebralights for their moonlight modes and other low single digit lumen levels (<4). Those low levels will really be ideal in shared dorm room to minimize disturbance to the roommates, not to mention runtimes well in the hundreds of hours per AA, and of course being easy on night adjusted eyes.

This was appealing to me too. The SC51 can run at 2.5lumens and 0.4lumens which is great for navigating the dorm room/reading without disturbing roommates.

Also another reason I liked the Thrunite Ti was the choice of low mode 3lumens or 0.0.4lumens, then a max of 60. It's only $16, would be a great edc. Low mode will help with navigating the room and he'll be able to have 60 lumens when he needs it. May be a good direct replacement to the Mini Maglite if he was running that on his keychain.

Last edited: