...diving

walton99

Newly Enlightened
I'm just looking for a decent hand-held dive light with a good warm color to it. Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.

Danielight

Enlightened
I'm not a diver myself, but I do know that some websites have sections for diving lights. Check out the link for Dive Lights at Tactical LEDs. (John Moyer, one of their customer sales reps, is a very knowledgeable and helpful.)

walton99

Newly Enlightened
I'm not a diver myself, but I do know that some websites have sections for diving lights. Check out the link for Dive Lights at Tactical LEDs. (John Moyer, one of their customer sales reps, is a very knowledgeable and helpful.)

Thank you Sir, much obliged

JJohn

Enlightened
I am old-school. I like my halogen dive light. Don't just look at LED's for this application.

ple182006

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I bought this light ==> eBay item 260957472483

I dove it up to 71meter and don't get any trouble.
First kit of batteries weren't good.
I am waiting for new one. In the meaantime, I use spare 18650 from my laptop ... running 1h50 at max power.

fred

Please Do Not link directly to eBay, see the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

trialt

Newly Enlightened
I'm just looking for a decent hand-held dive light with a good warm color to it. Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.

If you like the warm glows of an incan like myself then I would recommend the D8 Xenon flashlight from Underwater Kinetics. I would recommend getting it with the lantern grip. However I will ask what kind of environment are you planning to use it in ? If it is clear open water then this light will be wonderful. But if the water is somewhat murky then you wont have the best use of this light. For murkier water try the SL6 Xenon aslo from UK. Also no matter which one of these lights you pick make sure you take another backup light such as the SL4 eLED from UK. The SL4 is really awesome except it does not meet your criteria for a warm tint, but it will make a very dependable backup dive light.

Last edited:

walton99

Newly Enlightened
Trialt,

Thank you for your recommendations, I'll be in all kinds of different waters, from salt water to muddy rivers to high altitude clear lakes. I figured that a light with a warm tint would give me the best all around lighting solution. As a self-proclaimed flashlight nut I am not opposed to having various lights for various conditions. Is there a tint out there that would be a good "jack-of-all-trades"?

ple182006

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

At this time, I only dove the chineese led light in dark & muddy lake. The time I dove at 71m, the water was particularly dark and loaded with particles.
Unfornatly, I won't be in a clear water before the end of septembre.
This light is cheap $58 and bright very well (1000 lumens). The cone of light is good. All my budy told me it was a good small torch.
There may be one objection: what about the electronic circuit along the time.

The SL4 costs +/- $100 and brights only at 250 lumens. I don't test it. I don't know anything about the cone of light.
The SL6 costs +/- $66 and brights only at 204 lumens. I don't test it. I don't know anything about the cone of light.
The D8 costs +/- $130. It is not a led light. It is a xenon light. uwkinetics annouce 30W. It is probably like the chineese 100 lumene one. I don't test it. I don't know anything about the cone of light.

You can also consider this light:
  • ebay item 251076324857 (18650 batteries version) at $66
or

• ebay item 251066450706 (26650 batteries version) at $84.
They claim it is a 200m ligth that bright 1600lumen. I don't test it. I cann't tell you about the 1600lu (reality or ???) and the light cone.
Maybe one objection: what about the electronic circuit along the time

... but keep in mind if you can dive this light during one or 2 years, it is a good deal when you compare with buying wellknown brand light like metalsub, tillytec and other hartenberger

fred

trialt

Newly Enlightened
Trialt,

Thank you for your recommendations, I'll be in all kinds of different waters, from salt water to muddy rivers to high altitude clear lakes. I figured that a light with a warm tint would give me the best all around lighting solution. As a self-proclaimed flashlight nut I am not opposed to having various lights for various conditions. Is there a tint out there that would be a good "jack-of-all-trades"?

I like warm tints of incans and I belive it will reneder colors better in any conditions. Whether to go with D8 from UK or SL6 from UK depends on whether water will be open and clear or murkier. that is what I was saying. SL6 has a tighter beam so it is better under those murkier conditions. Just like a tighter light beam is more useful when it is foggier.

walton99

Newly Enlightened