Am I Alone Not Loving the Feel of Fenix Lights?

explorerlyon

Newly Enlightened
This is a new addiction for me so help me adjust. After using nothing but Mag Lights for the last 10+ years, I am starting to buy higher quality lights. I am new to this forum and addiction of quality lights. I see so many posts about the Fenix lights that I wanted to buy one. I went to my local Sports Chalet, the only store around with quality lights to feel and handle the Fenix lights. Overall, I was just not impressed with how they felt in my hand. The quality and ruggedness felt top noch, I just did not fall in love with them. I looked at an E21, LD10, and TK15.

Do I just need time to adjust to the feel of these lights?

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
loaded with batteries the fenix feels right.
product pictures on company websites (fenix, youtube, ..) suffice to let one fall in love with the esthetics or not.

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened

Welcome to CPF!

Part of the fun is trying different flashlights and brands to see which ones you like. Don't worry about not liking something that is popular on CPF, if everyone liked the same thing then there would be only one flashlight company!

One way to try different brands is to register for CPF Marketplace. You can get good deals on different lights, then sell them again if they're not what you want. Great fun and saves you a few bucks at the same time!

Divine_Madcat

Newly Enlightened
I love the feel of my TK15, E21, and LD01... My Tk15 and the LD01 are on me daily, with the E21 as a bedside light. I guess they don't have much "bling" (no silly stainless bezel, etc), but that is still part of the appeal... Very professional looking and feeling.

But, if they are not for you, there are tons of choices online that you can't go wrong with..

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
when they started, they totally stomped the - then nonexisting - field of high volume VERY-good-value-for-money-led-lights.

Now, with a total change into the tactical field and no longer at least fulfilling the wishes and needs of the initial customers, the models simply are the same than any other maker and no more special or appealing
(of course a number of comparable makers are now also there)

Divine_Madcat

Newly Enlightened
when they started, they totally stomped the - then nonexisting - field of high volume VERY-good-value-for-money-led-lights.

Now, with a total change into the tactical field and no longer at least fulfilling the wishes and needs of the initial customers, the models simply are the same than any other maker and no more special or appealing
(of course a number of comparable makers are now also there)

Perhaps for some of their lights, but i still think there are some unique ones.

I am blown away by LD01, an XP-G emitter in a tiny package with great runtimes all around.
The TK41 looks neat.. Not too many other flashlights out there with that kind of brightness and runtime on AAs..
There is more than that, but you get my point.

The other nice thing, is that they are hitting the retail market.. Great if you want to pick one up in a hurry, or have a problem with one...

fishndad

Enlightened
This is a new addiction for me so help me adjust. After using nothing but Mag Lights for the last 10+ years, I am starting to buy higher quality lights. I am new to this forum and addiction of quality lights. I see so many posts about the Fenix lights that I wanted to buy one. I went to my local Sports Chalet, the only store around with quality lights to feel and handle the Fenix lights. Overall, I was just not impressed with how they felt in my hand. The quality and ruggedness felt top noch, I just did not fall in love with them. I looked at an E21, LD10, and TK15.

(YOU ARE NOT ALONE)
I dislike the feel so much.That I am willing to purchase your lights at a slightly discounted rate.
Only becouse I understand your frustration ofcourse.:naughty:

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I tend to do this with all lights, not just Fenix ones, but you can grab a box of assorted O-rings at lowes,
or whatever, and slide them onto the outside of the light at the points you grab on to.

I do it cause lights with hard anodizing feel slippery to me.. I can't post pics, but trust me, the LD10 LD20 have lots of spots for an O-ring

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we all have some brands, as nice and rugged as they are you look and say huh. I feel that way about most Jetbeam models, except the RRt01 which I use all the time ;)

My favorite Fenix is the PD10 Titan :D

david57strat

Enlightened
The only Fenix light I currently own is the tiny e15. I carried and used Maglites almost exclusively, for many years, as well; so I know where you're coming from.

While it took me some time to get used to the micro-sized light, and the twisty, I found that it felt exceptionally nice, for such an inexpensive and tiny light, and the beam was very pleasing. The build quality seems very nice, and I've read almost nothing but glowing comments about their friendly user interfaces, their build quality, and their reliability.

I'd still like to get my hands on several of their larger lights (like the TK45), but that's not in the budget right this moment. Hopefully, soon...!

davyro

Enlightened
I'm not a great lover of Fenix lights not because of the feel of them it's there looks that don't inspire me.Having said that out of there many models i dare say I'd maybe like 1 or 2.That's part of the beauty of this hobby
there's so many different shapes & sizes your always likely to find one that feels & looks just right for any individual.I've started to get my favourite types of light modded,this way my favourite lights are always up to
date & i don't have to pay for a brand new light.Happy days indeed.:grin2:

Samy

Enlightened
I'm not dedicated to a particular brand, I like the individual lights made by brands. I have about 15 decent lights but only 2 are Fenix - an EO1 and a TK41. That's the cheapest and also one of the most expensive Fenix lights but they appeal to me, everything else they produce doesn't appeal to me ATM. It's the same with my 4Sevens, Klarus, Sunwayman lights etc, there's usually only a couple of lights from their entire range that appeals to me. Ive got more Zebralights than any other brand though ;)

I'm the same with music, I don't like every song a band makes. In fact there's usually only 1 or 2 songs I like from most bands.

Cheers

edpmis02

Enlightened
I have an old L2D that is a little too thin and slippery for my taste. Just got an LD25 and feels great! I like the selection of headlamps and defusers/filters for the LD series. All my AAA lights are Fenixs.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I am not a fan of Fenix lights but not for another reason. I don't like the way they look, ever. I like Eagletac and JetBeam. To each their own. Other then they way they look, I have nothing bad to say about there performance it's the only reason I don't buy them.Some of you might think I am ridiculous but I like my lgihts to look good. Don't you ever take them out, and look at them just to admire them? I do that before bed sometimes.
Although, I am kinda digging the E15 to be honest. Looks pretty awesome and the data sheet runtimes/output caught my eye. Not to mention a fairly good looknig light. I was considering getting one.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you had those three lights in your hand and did not like them, you definitely need to put batteries in and turn them on.

Latest posts