Mega 3515 ballast 5th wire?

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
Have a 35w HID Titanium Innovation Mega 3515. Got my 55w ballast in the mail. Removed the Mega front cover & reflector. Unbolted the ballast and noticed 5 wires. Ran out of time to investigate. Two go to the bulb. Two are power wires. What is the extra yellow wire?

BVH

Flashaholic
Not 100% sure but it might be a circuit that won't allow the ballast to power up if the battery charging pin is inserted - to prevent the light from running off the wall wart. In any case, you can cut the wire at the PC board or otherwise not use it in your mod. You don't need to use it. I've done 5 of these with 5-wire ballasts.

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
Not 100% sure but it might be a circuit that won't allow the ballast to power up if the battery charging pin is inserted - to prevent the light from running off the wall wart. In any case, you can cut the wire at the PC board or otherwise not use it in your mod. You don't need to use it. I've done 5 of these with 5-wire ballasts.

Will add note to 110v plug..... For charging only. Do NOT operate device while charging.
BVH,
Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully life will allow time to finish the job tonight.
Willie

Last edited:

willieschmidt

Newly Enlightened
Did you folks happen to notice if the stock 35W ballast circuitry is potted?

This ballast doesn't have the commercial metal case like the automotive type or the automotive power plug. The entire ballast is encased in black epoxy type compound with five wires. The bulb wires do have the standard HID plugs like the automotive type. The positive and negative have female blade conectors.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure It is used to prevent you to turn on the ballast while it's charging. I had the same wire in my mozo hid spotlight, it will work without it

BVH

Flashaholic
My guess is that maybe when the charging pin is inserted and current or Voltage are present, it might power an electronic switch within the ballast that opens the main + input circuit? Just a wild guess.