ArmyTek

Thread: Led Headlights

Unenlightened

Default Led Headlights

I am wonder does anyone know of a manufacturer of LED only headlights. What I have been able to find is led + projector lights.

Flashaholic

Default Re: Led Headlights

What vehicle?? Your best bet is to get in touch with the manufacturer of your vehicle to see if there is an upgrade available. That way everything is nice and legal.

Unenlightened

i think you should talk with an expert...
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business.
    Henry Ford

Flashaholic* Alaric Darconville's Avatar

JW Speaker and Truck-Lite make LED headlamps.

IPF does too.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaudMasterFlex View Post
    IPF does too.
    If they make full headlamps with LEDs, I'd have to wonder if they have any regulatory compliance at all, or if they just forge the regulatory compliance markings without being able to truthfully certify them as compliant.

If you're referring to LED "drop-ins", those things are unsafe, ineffective, and illegal.

Unenlightened

The illegality of it being said, has anyone here ever heard of Kawasaki putting out or authorizing an LED replacement (that's street legal of course) for their headlamps? My dealer, and local shops don't seem to be interested in finding out for me. My '07 Vulcan 900 has horrid lighting (solo H4 55/60W) with the added nasty bit of the low beam being too low and the high beam being too high.. in the same bulb. I was considering LED for the power saving and durability, because I've been beating the charging system with a pair of 55w halogen driving lamps for years. They WORK, but they get dang hot in the city, and I'd like something that is as much for visibility as vision.
    Thanks for any advice.

Unenlightened

Where you live might be a big factor beyond laws, too... LED's don't throw enough heat to stay clear in snowy situations. Just a thought for you!

Looks like a 7" round lamp on the Vulcan 900; the JW Speaker or Truck-Lite 7" rounds might oughta fit in there. Where's Scheinwerfermann when we need him?

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderLizard View Post
    LED's don't throw enough heat to stay clear in snowy situations. Just a thought for you!
    On the other hand, if the lens stays COLD enough, the snow won't stick in the first place. Yes, thawing LED headlamps is something of an issue, but even halogens can get frozen over.

so far Audi has them on R8, the Escalade has themtoo, Acura patented the "jewel eye" and BMW has some incredible adaptive LEd headlight system

Quote Originally Posted by ChaudMasterFlex View Post
    IPF does too.
    I don't think that is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm2007 View Post
    I am wonder does anyone know of a manufacturer of LED only headlights. What I have been able to find is led + projector lights.
    What kind of headlamps are you looking for? Universal-fit units of a particular size/shape? Units for a specific vehicle? And what is your objection to projectors? What is it you want/don't want? We need more information to answer your question helpfully.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderLizard View Post
    The illegality of it being said
    The illegality of what, exactly?

Has anyone here ever heard of Kawasaki putting out or authorizing an LED replacement (that's street legal of course) for their headlamps?
    I'm not sure what kind of "authorizing" you have in mind. There is no possibility to install an LED light source in a headlamp not originally designed for an LED light source and wind up with anything like an effective or legal beam distribution.

I've been beating the charging system with a pair of 55w halogen driving lamps for years. They WORK, but they get dang hot in the city
    "Driving" (auxiliary high beam) lamps are not appropriate, safe, or legal for use in traffic -- only on empty roads with no traffic. They do not "WORK", no matter what your definition of "WORK" might be.