ArmyTek
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New QTC pills?

Default Re: New QTC pills?

Quote Originally Posted by dudemar View Post
    Somewhere in this thread there are photos of the Gen. 2 QTC pill. That should help you identify it. If it's a Gen. 1 you have to send it back because the body is shallow.

Dang I was afraid of that. I have a feeling that it is a generation one.

Flashaholic*

Everybody sorry to message in this thread:

ElectronGuru / Dan, i sent you a PM, hope you can catch it before the closing period of Oveready (Aug 4 to 12)

Thanks!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by busseguy View Post
    Dang I was afraid of that. I have a feeling that it is a generation one.
    You have to physically take the pill out of the body to confirm it's a Gen. 1. The Gen. 1 has a metallic circular disc on both sides. The Gen. 2 has a metallic hexagonal disc on one side and a circular disc on the other.
    Funniest CPF thread ever. I promise it'll make your day.

Quote Originally Posted by dudemar View Post
    You have to physically take the pill out of the body to confirm it's a Gen. 1. The Gen. 1 has a metallic circular disc on both sides. The Gen. 2 has a metallic hexagonal disc on one side and a circular disc on the other.

Okay. Good to know, thank you for the info.

Flashaholic

Has there been any updates from Peak? Going on a month now since i sent in my 2 bodies. I wasnt hoping for rush services or anything but how do i get a hold of them to just find out of my bodies ever arrived at their facility? Just looking for peace of mind.

Flashaholic*

GrimCreaper,

PM sent.

Flashaholic

Thank you dudemar really appreciate that!

Flashaholic*

No problem! Let me know how it goes!
    Last edited by dudemar; 08-06-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Any user updates on new QTC pill longevity? How is it behaving over time?
    Light Emitting Diode: A third less calories than a regular Emitting Diode.

Flashaholic

Dudemar: Robyn got back to me very quick, she let me know that mine had been one of the sets that had been delayed but that it had shipped today !

Here i was just expecting a "We have it and will send it out when its ready." and instead got some really good news
    I have no issues with wait times, i was just very happy to know they had received them in the first place. I was also very happy to hear their guy is up and working which most likely means his injury is healed, or mostly healed up

Update: Got the 2 bodies back safe and sound! ramping is back to being butter smooth and havnt had any random jumps so far. Thank you Peak
    Last edited by GrimCreaper; 08-07-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Flashaholic*

Glad to hear everything worked out!

Recently got an El Cap and was having difficulties with the QTC, (gen 2). Tried cleaning it, still jumpy.
    Roughed up both sides with the fine side of an emery board, cleaned with alcohol and now it works great!
    Previously I had to tighten it to full output and unscrew to get ANY ramping action, now it ramps up and down as it should.
    I've never had any luck with the QTC in the past so I ordered this light at a fixed level #3 in case it didn't work out. Don't need a monster for every task and level 3 is nice for nighttime use.
    Now I have level 3 and everything below it! Since the range from zero to #3 is not that great the ramping action is very smooth compared to 0 to 120 lumens in 1/4 turn.

Flashaholic*

For Eiger owners : just tried making a bigger circle of QTC material (a size almost identical to the identation on the top pill part on an Eiger, the QTC material that comes with the pill is a tad smaller than that identation) it works good, but will have to see if it keeps like that in the coming days, hoping the QTC material is now wide enough to keep the discs parallel, and also by fitting with less play inside the little identation the disc should tilt less.

will let know how it goes

I got my SS Eiger Keychain body back from Robyn with the upgraded Gen 2 QTC, and it's a whole new light! The QTC--which had been twitchy as all get out when I first received the light a year ago--now ramps smoothly and evenly from sub-lumen to full blast

And I think the battery tube is a tad deeper now, when I use an eneloop AAA cell now I can screw the head in further and get past the o-ring fully.

Thank you Peak and Oveready!!
    "That's why I come here, to be part of that and to learn, and because I can't afford a real midlife crisis, you know with sports cars and boats." -- peskyphotons 2007

I got a 17500 with an XP-G2 a few weeks ago and the ramping went straight from ~15 lumens to the full 300, so I decided to open up the pill to try the "paper washer" solution, but the circular metal plate won't fit back into the plastic piece. Any suggestions? If I could get the QTC to work properly this would be by far my favorite light.

Quote Originally Posted by AEntreri0 View Post
    I got a 17500 with an XP-G2 a few weeks ago and the ramping went straight from ~15 lumens to the full 300, so I decided to open up the pill to try the "paper washer" solution, but the circular metal plate won't fit back into the plastic piece. Any suggestions? If I could get the QTC to work properly this would be by far my favorite light.
    Ive never had a 17500 sized pill but all the others are just a press fit. Line it up correctly and push.
    let us know how it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by whateatsrabbits View Post
    Ive never had a 17500 sized pill but all the others are just a press fit. Line it up correctly and push.
    let us know how it works out for you.
    I've tried it in every orientation and the only result is two very painful thumb tips! I had managed to open and close it back up twice before to check if just reassembling it might make a difference, but it no longer fits.

Flashaholic*

I read somewhere the squares of QTC without a hole punched through it works great. If you can get your hands on some it should do the trick.
    Last edited by dudemar; 10-16-2012 at 11:08 PM.

I noticed the metal plate has a lot of gouge marks on the inner side that result in some bits of metal sticking out the side. These might be preventing the disc from fitting back into the delrin. Here's a terrible picture taken on my cell phone to illustrate.

Should I file down these edges to try to get it to fit, or are they intentional? I just don't get how the thing fit back together the first two times. I tried emailing Oveready since they helped me with an earlier problem, but no response so far. I might just contact Curt and pay for a new pill altogether.

I can see some of those little flares on the edge of the disk in your terrible photo. Mine are all smooth on the sides. I cant imagine how it got dented like that? I would defiantly try filing it. Just don't take off to much, my pill is kind of worn out and loose. I have to be very careful reinstalling it because it can fall apart very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by whateatsrabbits View Post
    I would defiantly try filing it.
    To file it defiantly might take off a bit too much - gentle is probably better.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

I filed it down and now it all fits back together. Thank you all for the assurance that it wasn't normal. Unfortunately it still ramps terribly, but now I think I'll order a second pill and experiment on this first one with some people's suggestions.

On a slightly related note, does anyone know if the night patrol series uses QTC on the adjustable models? Does anyone have any lux readings or estimations on those? I haven't found any thorough reviews like selfbuilt's.

Adjustable Night Patrol models utilize a rheostat which is far more reliable than a qtc.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by jorgen View Post
    Adjustable Night Patrol models utilize a rheostat which is far more reliable than a qtc.
    That said, it functions exactly like a volume knob on a stereo. Instead of adjusting sound it adjusts light output. If Peak ever manages to put a rheostat in a Logan I'm buying it.
    Last edited by dudemar; 10-21-2012 at 09:56 PM.