• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

New QTC pills?

gunga

Flashaholic
Some one posted about the latest peaks having revised QTC pills etc, but requiring new bodies with deeper boring. Can we get any updated info on this? I have quite a few QTC peaks and remain interested...

gunga

Flashaholic
I'm especially interested in seeing how the pills hold up to reasonable use. I have been able to get my old QTC pills feeling really good my adjusting the qtc material somewhat and shimming the inside with a bit of flattened foil. THis works for a while, but after some use (or play), the qtc breaks down, and the pill must be disassembled again to adjust and clean up bits of material flaking off the qtc and messing up the feel.

If the new pills can last longer and work more consistently, I will be very happy since I have quite a few QTC peak lights...

Diablo_331

Enlightened
Some one posted about the latest peaks having revised QTC pills etc, but requiring new bodies with deeper boring. Can we get any updated info on this? I have quite a few QTC peaks and remain interested...

Can we get an answer to the OP's question please? I also have a few Peaks that could use an upgrade.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I've decided that a Gen 2 pill in a Gen 1 body configuration will solve only half the problem. So we're designing a body refurbishment program. Details to come...

gunga

Flashaholic
That's both good and bad. I have a lot of older QTC bodies...

Can we get any details on what has changed etc? It's all a swirling mystery at the moment...

sassaquin

Enlightened
Great news, the $6 ($2 + $4 shipping) QTC upgrade program from Oveready is available, I ordered upgrades for five of my 1st gen. QTC Peaks last night. Hopefully, the 2nd gen. QTC will be more stable and durable, sure will be a lot of fun finding out.
Many thanks to Oveready and Peak for taking care of 1st generation owners. :thanks:

Last edited:

manoloco

Enlightened
Got the Oveready insider mail, and headed right to the webpage, they are already working on a worldwide solution, great news!

Some questions for Dan or Curt:

Momentaries, will they work perfectly with these new setup?, have they varied in any way?
After honing and adapting the Gen1 bodies to accept Gen2 setup, will they end up exactly like Gen2QTC bodies? if any differences what would they be?

I think Oveready has the best after sale service, i have had only good experiences in every purchase i made from they.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Momentaries, will they work perfectly with these new setup?, have they varied in any way?
After honing and adapting the Gen1 bodies to accept Gen2 setup, will they end up exactly like Gen2QTC bodies? if any differences what would they be?

The fundamental change to the body is to deepen it, making the battery/qtc section longer and the threaded section shorter. Momentaries were made shorter last year, but its possible (though rare) to have a Gen 1 QTC with the previous longer Momentary (shown center). The preferred shorter design is shown on the right and features a solid post:

peakswitche.jpg

2015 update: these switches have been discontinued, in favor of a 4th universal model that works with everything. QTC and not, clip and not.

Are the pills themselves available separately? I know of one Logan QTC that barely works because the battery needs just a bit more length.

Technically, every Gen 1 owner is eligible to a free replacement. We have extras ready for those wishing to receive a Gen 2 pill without sending in their body. Just request it in the notes with your next order.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
PM sent. I am quite curious about this new pill. I suspect the metal disk (now hex shaped instead of round) is re-designed so that the QTC is only subjected to compressive loads. ALso, I hope the pill pocket is a touch thinner to prevent the flaky ramping found in the previous design. I'm not sure why the pill is deeper, perhaps needed due to the new design. I like it. I Have quite a few peaks and like the simplicty, long battery life, and general reliability. The QTC pill is the best and worst part of the design. If it is fixed, it should last a lot longer. I would love to get upgrades and do a photo expose for those interested...

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Sorry for the confusion. The body is not deeper to accommodate a taller pill, its to address a secondary issue. Heads were made longer to support a greater variety of battery lengths. When newer heads are combined with shallower/older bodies, the main O ring 'peaks out' from the body when turned off (especially with longer cells). Making the body deeper, makes the body a natural fit to both longer neck heads and the new shorter momentary switches.

This is/was the central challenge of the upgrade program. Uncorrected bodies could exhibit the o ring issue and many customers may not be able to remove the Gen 1 QTC regardless. Sending bodies in is more work and time, but fixes 3 issues instead of 1.