• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

TorchLAB V4 Triple LED drop ins - Full Boost, Thermal, and Voltage Regulation

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fully Boosted Thermal and Voltage Regulated V4 Triples cranking out up to 1400 lumens
Custom built engines for your favorite hosts
Available with Cree XPE/XPG and Nichia 219 Hi CRI

New V4 Triple: Smart voltage based cell counter, cell monitoring, voltage monitoring (extending IMR cell life), and a 2 step thermal management and output reduction system. These features bring additional security and reliability to our existing L3 model, but they also allow us to push the envelope. Thermal Management means we can push more heat, more amps, and more lumens.

All models come with electronic reverse polarity protection, critical overheating cut-off (full off at 120°C) and low voltage cutoff at 2.2V.

Lithium Battery Monitor
Battery monitoring function is a new feature of V4 Triple LED drop-ins. It implements a fully-automatic lithium battery protection function with cell count detection. It's set to 3.6-3.7 nominal voltage and admits single (1S, 3.7V) or two-in-series (2S, 7.4V) battery configurations.

Battery Stretch Function
This feature is a new feature of V4 Triple LED drop-ins, and nearly doubles the runtime when the full mode is initially used. The output is reduced to 10% at 10% of the cell. So it lets the remaining 10% of battery to last 10 times longer. It's still possible to return to full mode when required by the situation

Thermal Management
In addition to the hardware overheating cutoff (at 120°C) the V4 Triple LED drop-ins implement a 65C (149F) temperature setting at which the output is reduced to prevent lithium battery overheating (when it shares the same housing with the light engines). High-temperature warning is introduced in the stand-by mode (fast red-indicator blinking during which it's not recommended to touch the flashlight head).

• Fully regulated output between 4.8 and 9.5 volts
  • Below 4.8v it drops out of regulation and continues running until about 3v
  • The output is reduced to 10% when 10% of the cell(s) capacity remains
  • Up to 96% efficient driver with 2 lithium ion cells
  • Integrated thermal overheating protection at 120C (248F)
  • Thermal Management reduces output to 10% at 65C (149F)
  • Shock and vibration tolerant materials and components
  • Heavy duty positive contact spring
  • Solid brass negative contact ring
  • Tight fit for best thermal contact with your host
  • Shock proof materials, components, and design
  • Suitable for use in weapon mounted lights
  • Hard anodized black finish for superior thermal emissivity and durability
  • 24 gauge mil-spec wire with 19 strand, silver-plated copper conductors, teflon insulated
  • Multiple independent LEDs for more output than single LED designs with similar wattage

Warnings:
  • This light creates excessive heat
  • This light may cause eye damage
  • This light may burn the skin at close range.
  • This light may cause combustibles to ignite
  • This light is not a toy, keep away from children

POWER SUPPLY OPTIONS:

Example of setups using L1 or L3 (high mode) Triple Drop-ins
  • Surefire 6P, C2, Z2:

you can run 2xIMR 16340 on L1 or L3 Triples for 20 minutes of runtime
2x16340 not recommended for H1 or H3 Triples

• Bored Surefire C3, 9P, or 6P with extension.

you can run 2 x protected 18500 for about 75 minutes of runtime

IT IS SAFE TO RUN THESE ON 2 X 17500 CELLS

This drop-in runs on 1, but is fully regulated with 2 rechargeable cells
It will give full output with 2 cells until they reach 3.0V each and output is reduced to 10%

With a single lithium cell, It will run at approximately 75% output (800+ lumens) in this configuration.
These are not regulated on 1 cell
A single AW 18650 3100mAh cell will provide about 90 minutes of runtime.
You can run a single 17670 for about 35 minutes.

DO NOT USE 1 or 2 PROTECTED 16340 WITH THESE
Protected 16340 are not recommended at this current draw.

Do not run primary CR123 in these. The boost driver will drain them harder and harder until the cells overheat, and may explode.

Fluxo

Newly Enlightened
Oh you sneaky guy! I saw that these were added to the site and out of stock earlier and was heart broken :mecry:. I was so lucky that I left my browser open on my iphone to see that these just came instock tonight. I think I sprained my back from pulling out my wallet so fast. Can't wait to get it in the mail.

Any news on when the 1400lumen XPG version of these will be in stock? Also do you plan on doing a run of GID DB Moddoo bodies and cryos cooling bezels to match those GID triad tailcaps? Id love to get my hands on something like that to make a flashlight for my gf that she might be able to find in her purse :p.

fabienne

Enlightened
Any news on when the 1400lumen XPG version of these will be in stock? Also do you plan on doing a run of GID DB Moddoo bodies and cryos cooling bezels to match those GID triad tailcaps? Id love to get my hands on something like that to make a flashlight for my gf that she might be able to find in her purse :p.
I don't think GITD will glow unless it's recharged especially if it's kept in the purse. I thought about the same and ended up giving one flashlight with tritium instead of GITD stuff.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are fantastic! You're not running a buy back on pre-loved V3 triple engines towards the purchase of a new V4 are you??

We do our best to satisfy you guys, but maybe that's going a bit too far! :laughing:

Oh you sneaky guy! I saw that these were added to the site and out of stock earlier and was heart broken :mecry:. I was so lucky that I left my browser open on my iphone to see that these just came instock tonight. I think I sprained my back from pulling out my wallet so fast. Can't wait to get it in the mail.

Thanks for the order.
We will have the XPG 1400 lumen models in stock later this month.

Low-Med-High. come on down!

+100000000000000

Already built and should be in Dan's hands soon. :D

Last edited:

nd1979

Newly Enlightened
Just bought 1....must be my lucky day!

Thanks for the heads up fabienne!!

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome!

Another question. I'm assuming the 1400lm version is only available with XPG cool? No xpg neutral or xpe?

We are only able to achieve the 1400 lumen level with the Cree XPG R5 driven at 1.5A each (4.5A total) at this time.

We continue to source the best available leds for you all.

These H3N Nichia 219 HI CRI are driven at a solid 1.5A each (4.5A total) for about 1100 lumens of 4500K Hi-CRI goodness

kingcow

Newly Enlightened
DO you know when you will have moddolar slim cell tubes back in stock?

beach honda

Enlightened
Can anyone chime in with info between the H and L models? I have a bored C2 that I want to run one of the high CRI units in. Will an 18650 be straight to get at least 75% power for...say...an hour?

Any beam shots with the hi CRI? Is this more flood/wall of light or throws?
thanks

cB

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
These drop-ins should be more of a wall of light. I have the Torchlab L3C.

The versions that I see on their site right now are H-M-L or L-M-H. It all depends on what you use the most. I use Low and Medium most of the time; I rarely use high. For that reason the L-M-H model is best for me.

I too am interested in the beamshot. I expect a big giant neutral circle of light.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Sorry for the confusion. From the web site:

Power: L (low) or H (high) or D (direct drive)

'L's are the standard model, familiar for so many years.
L1 and L3 models are at the standard drive level, equating to 1100 cool lumens
H3 models are at the new (increased) drive level, equating to 1400 cool lumens
219 setups are less than cool and single battery setups are less than dual quoted above.

219 and XPG can handle the H power level. XPE cannot and are only available at the L level.
If there is interest, we can do 219's in a L3 configuration
H1's are possible, but require full electronics, so would be the same price as H3

IMR 16340's also cannot handle the H power level. IMR 18350 are the smallest usable size.

We have not had these long enough to do runtime testing.

Here are a full complement of beamshots. The H3 Nichia is in the bottom left corner.

Last edited: