Original HDS EDC = Coolest Ever

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sitting outside playing with one of my original HDS lights, and I'm sorry, but these will forever be the baddest lights of all time.edited to specify the EDC series.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Re: Original HDS = Coolest Ever

I'm not sorry I sold my EDC Basic 42 XRGT, I'm not sure how I would cope with comparatively short runtime and low output compared to the more modern offerings we have to chose from today.

I think the runtime was 20 minutes on high, that sounds awfully short by today's standard. Although it certainly was a wonderful light when it was first released.

Norm

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I kinda feel that way about Henry's Ra Twisty. Just a super cool light any way you slice it. I have a Tw100 with a 18650 tube and McGizmo clip and a 85Tr with a 123 tube. Love those things.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not sorry I sold my EDC Basic 42 XRGT, I'm not sure how I would cope with comparatively short runtime and low output compared to the more modern offerings we have to chose from today.

I think the runtime was 20 minutes on high, that sounds awfully short by today's standard. Although it certainly was a wonderful light when it was first released.

Norm

An XR version, with an XP-G mod will easily reach somwhere between 160 and 200 lumens (guesstimate...) and can run on high for a good 50 minutes (on a primary), not bad at all. Let's not forget the ultra-low might be one of the most efficient that has ever been created...

Norm

Retired Administrator

An XR version, with an XP-G mod will easily reach somwhere between 160 and 200 lumens (guesstimate...) and can run on high for a good 50 minutes (on a primary), not bad at all. Let's not forget the ultra-low might be one of the most efficient that has ever been created...

My answer relates to the light as sold by HDS not a modified version of it. Which I guess is a totally different animal.

Norm

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Norm

That's why the thread is titled "Coolest Ever", and not "Most Efficient Ever". It's not always about performance, sometimes it's just about what it is.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast

My answer relates to the light as sold by HDS not a modified version of it. Which I guess is a totally different animal.

Norm
Then I agree completely. The stock version was either 42 or 60 lumens. With these ''yesterday'' emitters, any light would be rather boring. The original HDS driver is still however great, it's really just a question of LED. I like the inductor noise on high, makes me think of a diesel driven light...

It's still my favourite form factor...

92044104.jpg

Last edited:

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast

I actually sold all my HDS lights over a year ago and I don't miss them at all. I obviously know Henry has a very loyal following and they are a well built light. For some they are the pinnacle of flashlights in both build and price. For me McGizmo ruined how I perceive HDS for EDC and in the marketplace. I know I am certainly in the minority though.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast

I actually sold all my HDS lights over a year ago and I don't miss them at all. I obviously know Henry has a very loyal following and they are a well built light. For some they are the pinnacle of flashlights in both build and price. For me McGizmo ruined how I perceive HDS for EDC and in the marketplace. I know I am certainly in the minority though.

Don definitely makes some nice stuff, but I'm not sure what more you get for 5x the price (other than a Ti shell of course). But lets not get off track, this thread is not meant to compare one against the other.....Just wanted to share my love for the original HDS. I have a couple mint, stock lights, and I have a few w/upgraded emitters. Of course the upgraded emitters get more use, but not only because of performance, also to keep the stock lights I have in new condition.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry. I wasn't trying to start a comparison. I was just adding my humble and meaningless opinion to the thread. HDS at one time for quite some time to me was the coolest for sure.

JeffN

Enlightened

I miss my old u60xrgt-s that milky popped a ssc into. Great light

I don't --- it's still a great light. :grin2:

There's a note in my file dated 4/2/2008, Mossy -- if it ever goes, you have first dibs.

Last edited:

gottawearshades

Enlightened

My favorite light is a U60 GT that Milky installed a K2 tffc in. I own several of Henry's latest generation--twisty, clickie, rotary, which I like a lot, but after three years I'm still carrying the U60. Can't seem to go anywhere without it.

bansuri

Enlightened

Alan,
You'll be happy to know that I still carry the Basic60 you gave me such a great deal on. Currently sporting a Nichia 219 HCRI. Thanks again!
I've found that the old models do pretty good if you merely reduce the HIGH setting down 1 level. The modern emitters put out a lot of light in these.
Here's a beamshot in another thread.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast

I really regret selling my HDS EDC B42XR which Milky popped a P4 into...

Especially before I learned of the 250click "easter-egg".

Oh well, it allowed me to afford my current HDS Ra Clicky 140n [which Milky has popped an XP-E into].

These were definitely some awesome lights. Just knowing their efficiency makes me want to transplant their guts into a newer Clicky host, to get that awesome low-level run time, lol.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry. I wasn't trying to start a comparison. I was just adding my humble and meaningless opinion to the thread. HDS at one time for quite some time to me was the coolest for sure.

Opinions are never meaningless, and I appreciated yours :thumbsup:

Isn't "original HDS" known as action lights?
http://www.equipped.com/led_lights2.htm

My apologies for not being more specific, I meant the EDC series.

davyro

Enlightened

I own much more expensive lights than any of my HDS lights but i find myself EDCing one of my HDS lights everytime i go out.One of them is away getting a nichia 219.This one is a legacy model & i know i'm going to love it
,what i really want now though is a Twisty & one of these days i'll be owning one.What i seem to do is sometimes i've got to have my Rotary,then my Legacy 170T with GDP & so on.So i can't say which one i love the most.What
i can say though all of my HDS light IMHO are the coolest ever.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's a twisty in the marketplace right now, I'm glad I already have my 85tr twisty or I'd be tempted. I use it as my bedside light with a diffuser cap :)

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened

I still regret not buying one of the U60 that were being sold a couple years ago. They were Gov't issue, I think it even had Marines printed on it. Was unused stock of military issue, maybe? I keep hoping another cache will be found and put up for sale one day. Hope springs eternal :candle: