My custom dive light build

Brettis87

Newly Enlightened
Hi all

New to the land of Flashaholics but I've decided that my old Alpha 2000 halogen water heater is no longer up to the job.
I will be building a light from scratch out of machined anodised aluminium and also a battery canister out of the same. I
have sourced the lens, switch and glands so they are no problem. What I may need help with is driver and battery configuration.
I want to have 7 cree XM-L T6 LED's in series in the head. I have purchased 7 T6 Led's and also have a 7 series xml driver from Kaidomain lying around SKU S020166
Will this driver be suitable for driving my 7 LED's? And what battery configuration could I have in the canister?

Heatsinking won't be a problem!! ;-)

Any advice would be appreciated regarding drivers and batteries.
Thanks,
Brett

PLease Do Not link directly to sales sites - Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The driver specs look pretty good. However, I would be hesitant to use a Chinese cheap driver on such a high powered build. I would look at the Taskleds instead. The Kaidomain driver cannot be surface mounted since it has the contacts on the back side. That would more than likely need to be potted for heat dissipation. The Taskleds are bare on one side for surface mounting. Look at the Hyperbuck.

Last edited:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like that driver is designed for exactly what you are doing, so it should work. However, their numbers don't add up. It would have to be 136% efficient to push 2.8A into 23.4V from 6V, 8A. Either the input is going to be more like 12A, or you aren't going to get 2.8A out.

It looks like you have two basic choices for battery configuration: 2SnP protected or unprotected, or 3SnP protected.

Your number in parallel (n) needs to be high enough to safely provide the maximum load current. I'd plan on 8A for the 3S cofiguration or 12A for the 2S configuration. It also needs to be high enough to provide the burn time you want: n = burn time * load / cell capacity. If you wanted to make a 3S pack and run 2.5 hours on 2600 mAH (2.6 AH) cells, that would be n=2.5*8/2.6 = 7.7. So you'd want a 3S8P pack.

Brettis87

Newly Enlightened
Ok thanks for that info.....so i need 24 x 18650 cells @ 2600mA and for protection Protection PCB module forr 11.1V Li-Ion battery pack (3S@4A limit) PCM-Li03S5-061 from batteryspace.com ? I've never made a batter pack like this before so the protection circuitry is new to me. Will also need to charge the beast :) The torch only needs to run for ~1.5 hours. Would a 3S5P suffice at around 12-13000mAh? Trying to keep the cost down a little

Last edited:

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha yes, that is a big a-- pack. I just had an 18 pk built for a project I'm working on... The 8000 lumen video light.

Brettis87

Newly Enlightened
Well i've added a few bits and pieces to the build.......still waiting on the emitters though so i can start testing. That's not the actual lens that will be used in the build, just a demo.
Ledil Regina's that ill drill out, Piezo switch, kaidomain 7 series LED driver(still trying to figure out how to heat sink it) and some nickel plated brass cable glands.