SST-90 1D mag

DKlaser

Enlightened
Finally finished my 1D sst-90 mag project. The specs are...

Mag host cut down to 1D size, finned the head, quad bored the battery compartment, milled lines in the grip, and slotted for trits by the switch
Five Mega 4x AA cell holder
4x AW IMR 14500 lithium cells
Mag rebel reflector
UCL glass replacement lens
DW 9a driver
DW SST90 heatsink/socket for Dmags
SST90 emitter (I forget the binning but it is the top output bin)

Some observations from last night. The sst-90 emitter in this setup has awesome flood that even has some good reach to it but is in no way is a thrower. But it will make the front of my house look literally like daylight @ 25 yards.

I will get a beam shot tonight.

In this pic you can see the trits are slightly glowing, it was too bright to get the full effect of them in the pic.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

fishndad

Enlightened
Nice!!! I LOVE IT.
Mag mods are awesome and yours looks very clean.
Would you mind posting some close ups to reviel the detail?

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. I love mag mods

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

mr.lumen

Enlightened
beamshots? how hot does it get on hight? what kind of runtime are you getting and will you build one for people?

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
I nearly have all the parts to do a similar dw sst90 build. Im going with 4x 25500 in a 3d mag for now

DKlaser

Enlightened
I have not been here in a while sorry I have been living at the cpfmarketplace. Runtime is short with this one. The IMR cells I am using do not have much mah. Also I am using the mag rebel reflector and I will say that this reflector is superior to the stock one. With that being said it was really difficult to get it focused to a good beam because the rebel reflector is so deep. The head just about has to be unscrewed all the way to where the o-ring groove is almost exposed and I had to modify DW's heat sink tremendously. I would of been better off machining a sink from copper right off the bat with as much work had to be done to his to make it work right.

The light gets pretty warm quick, no doubt about it. I never run it for more than a minute so it's hard to say if it would get hot enough to hurt itself. I would say probably so.

Last edited:

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not been here in a while sorry I have been living at the cpfmarketplace. Runtime is short with this one. The IMR cells I am using do not have much mah. Also I am using the mag rebel reflector and I will say that this reflector is superior to the stock one. With that being said it was really difficult to get it focused to a good beam because the rebel reflector is so deep. The head just about has to be unscrewed all the way to where the o-ring groove is almost exposed and I had to modify DW's heat sink tremendously. I would of been better off machining a sink from copper right off the bat with as much work had to be done to his to make it work right.

The light gets pretty warm quick, no doubt about it. I never run it for more than a minute so it's hard to say if it would get hot enough to hurt itself. I would say probably so.

I have the same setup and I was able to focus the rebel reflector by widening the base of it by about 1-2mm. A step drill would have been ideal for this but since i didnt have one i carefully used a rotary tool with a grinding wheel at high rpm (i actually ruined one reflector lol)

the mag head is partially unscrewed because of the size of the heat sink... i managed to cram it down as far as I could and screw the head down slowly and carefully. the mag head sits right on the oring (oring visible), and the reflector sits on top of the heatsink

here is a shot of the finished product

(the wall is not white in case anyone is wondering)

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
To allow mag head screw all the way in while using deep reflector, I usually grind away the heat sink rim, push heatsink down the mag tube about 10mm or so, this way mag head will screw down natually

DKlaser

Enlightened
I have the same setup and I was able to focus the rebel reflector by widening the base of it by about 1-2mm. A step drill would have been ideal for this but since i didnt have one i carefully used a rotary tool with a grinding wheel at high rpm (i actually ruined one reflector lol)

the mag head is partially unscrewed because of the size of the heat sink... i managed to cram it down as far as I could and screw the head down slowly and carefully. the mag head sits right on the oring (oring visible), and the reflector sits on top of the heatsink

here is a shot of the finished product

(the wall is not white in case anyone is wondering)

I did exactly that except I used a razor blade and carefully shaved a tiny bit off at a time checking the fit periodically. It does focus well after everything I did. It is very bright to say the least. Over twice as bright as my XML based lights that I push to the max. I am going to make an off road light fixture with 2 or 4 of these for my jeep sometime in the future. I have to finish my XML offroad light project first though.

DKlaser

Enlightened
To allow mag head screw all the way in while using deep reflector, I usually grind away the heat sink rim, push heatsink down the mag tube about 10mm or so, this way mag head will screw down natually

I did that in a mill so it looks nice but you can only push it so far down with that massive driver.

Epsilon

Enlightened
Take a look at my sales thread in my Sig for how i solved it. The dw heatsink is flawed, but I like the setup :).