3 is a Charm, 4 is a Bust! What did I do wrong with the Stanley HID?

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
In two days time I went to three Pep Boys in Tucson and got 3 defective Stanley HIDs and a few days later picked up from Pep Boys in Sandy, UT the fourth. All did not work. Three of them when plugged into AC for the required 8 hour charge showed a steady green full charge light; one of the lights did flash red/green indicating it required the initial charge but it flashed for only a few minutes.

All four would not illuminate when turned on. I tested one on the direct DC cord and it came on.

What goes here? Did I screw up or is this part of the Stanley malfunction?

Each Pep Boys it appears keeps one in inventory, I did a lot of miles to get the HID. Wal Mart informed me they no longer inventory the HID. Where can I find one? I see them on Amazon but my luck suggests I would be facing a nuisance return item situation if I purchased another broken one.

Shortly I will be traveling MT, ID, UT, AZ down the I-15 corridor if anyone can answer: Where do I get one?

Or is there something out there that is similar to the N30 or HIDC10? BTW- my N30 bit the dust, the battery problem led to a burn out of the ballast once I put it on 12V sla, the battery held the voltage and did not dip unlike the 12V and 14.4V on NiMh packs I fooled with.

Thank you CPF,

NL

edit: see post # 14 it is 5 in a row now!

Last edited:

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Possibly they all came from the same central warehouse, possibly same lot & really old, the battery are all dead due to long storage w/o charging?

Is this the older version? The new one has less watts but it's smaller & scored pretty good OTF at PF18 meet.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
First part deleted. Guess I was thinking about your post some time ago on the N30 battery and took off in the wrong direction!

From what you describe, it's the SLA's. These have probably been on the shelf for at least a year, probably more. A dead SLA on a brand new Stanley is fairly common. Do they even manufacturer them any longer?

Last edited:

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
i don't believe they do. it IS the SLA, it's not a hard or expensive replacement. can do it in about 10 mins if versed in any electrical work.

Possibly they all came from the same central warehouse, possibly same lot & really old, the battery are all dead due to long storage w/o charging?

Is this the older version? The new one has less watts but it's smaller & scored pretty good OTF at PF18 meet.

"More power, Scotty, more lumens plzzz!"
"She gonna blow cap'n..." My story; I like LUMENS!

So does this mean that it would be OK, even a wise idea to again search out the old HID and just change the SLA??

larryk

Enlightened
[/QUOTE]I wonder if 3 of the safe chemistry 26650, 3.6 amp cells from battery space would fit in the space?[/QUOTE]

I just checked mine and 3 or 4 26650 or 26700 cells will fit with no modification to the case.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Gosh, what terrible luck. I wouldn't be surprised if the distributor is pulling these out of storage from the top secret warehouse featured in the last scene from Raiders of the Lost Arc. Seems like all the SLA's are going belly up.

Hey, how about the Ryobi light with li-ion packs instead. It's a bit more but it should be lightweight and reliable.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?278974-Ryobi-35W-18V-HID

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gosh, what terrible luck. I wouldn't be surprised if the distributor is pulling these out of storage from the top secret warehouse featured in the last scene from Raiders of the Lost Arc. Seems like all the SLA's are going belly up.

Hey, how about the Ryobi light with li-ion packs instead. It's a bit more but it should be lightweight and reliable.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?278974-Ryobi-35W-18V-HID

It is only 2800 lumens. REmember when our flashlights had only 65 lumen LEDs? I have an LED flashlight that is 3000 lumens, I build one that was 2700.

The Ryobi is cute, serves a purpose and if you got the tools a nice addition to use the Li battery. But at 2800 lumens it is very dim.

I prefer something brighter and BTW, as an HID it seems to be a waste of an idea and material when it can be out classed by simple flashlights and spot lights.

BVH

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info Larryk!

What about the FireFoxesIII, 40 watts in a tiny conventional flashlight stye package? Pricey compared to the Stanley though.

Last edited:

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info Larryk!

What about the FireFoxesIII, 40 watts in a tiny conventional flashlight stye package? Pricey compared to the Stanley though.

OH BOY, thats a gottsta have and a half!!! I want one. But I gotta wait until end of June to check finances before I commit. Just retired... but I think I can swing one.

How long is the group open until it closes?

Patriot

Flashaholic
It is only 2800 lumens. REmember when our flashlights had only 65 lumen LEDs? I have an LED flashlight that is 3000 lumens, I build one that was 2700.

The Ryobi is cute, serves a purpose and if you got the tools a nice addition to use the Li battery. But at 2800 lumens it is very dim.

I prefer something brighter and BTW, as an HID it seems to be a waste of an idea and material when it can be out classed by simple flashlights and spot lights.

The Ryobi is too dim at 2800L but the Stanley is ideal at 3200L? Doesn't seem like much of a separation especially considering your trouble getting a working one.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got back,

BOTE trailer has axle/balance problem; factory installed wrong axle when it was built and it rolled over again this time destroyed and damaged into big bucks. So no little HID for now.

Today I got another Stanley HID, I plugged it in and the indicator says full charge, I doubt it; seems to be the SLA again...

where is a place to get an SLA for it, I will keep this one.

edit: the SLA is shot in this light too , 5 in a row!!! this last one from Tucson again. It works on a small sla is hooked to the 12V input line!!

Hope you can tell me where to get a replacement battery, I will open it later this week. Thanks CPF Family
NL

Last edited:

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me again!

found a local replacement, exact except is 1.4 Ah and oem is 1.2 Ah

Power Sonic, PS1212; $15

I got a working Stanley HID

cccpull

Enlightened
Me again!

found a local replacement, exact except is 1.4 Ah and oem is 1.2 Ah

Power Sonic, PS1212; $15

I got a working Stanley HID

Wow! What a hassle. You sure are persistent, though. :D
You remind me of when I went searching for the Stanley when Walmart had them on clearance for $10. Found one at the first place I went to, that was it. Decided to stop searching before I spent more on gas than the savings were worth. :shakehead

Thanks for the heads-up on a replacement battery. Good to know, I've had my Stanley (old style hi-lo switch) for about 1 1/2 year without any problems.:sweat:

Phil Ament

Enlightened
The Ryobi is too dim at 2800L but the Stanley is ideal at 3200L? Doesn't seem like much of a separation especially considering your trouble getting a working one.

I've got one of the Ryobi HID's and it is really great! Which model Stanley HID are you talking about in reference to the replacement battery, as I had always thought that the HID0109 had a 3Ah battery in it and with the model number being "UN3-12 3Ah" just as has been mentioned here!

Phil Ament

Enlightened
Actually here is a link to a PDF copy of the instruction manual for the Stanley HID0109 directly from the manufacturer's (Baccus Global) website and it clearly states that it has a 3Ah SLA. I had thought that 1.2Ah or 1.4Ah sounded too ridiculously small.

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Thanks for the heads-up on a replacement battery. Good to know, I've had my Stanley (old style hi-lo switch) for about 1 1/2 year without any problems.:sweat:

How do you tell old from new style?

Also like a politition...I lied. Looks like I will buy the FireFoxesIII, 40 watts very soon, I just gotta have one!

Compared the Stanley to the DX 3k lumen (sku: 100215) last night. DX is definately flood, 3 light source, about 2x the width of the HID0109 at 200 yds., therefore a little dimmer in center of beam but not bad and off course it does not go much if any beyond the 200 yds. So if you want to light up the scene a ways away, grab the Stanley and if you just need your local camp, area, grab the DX (cute and easy to handle and carry spare batteries for! I have a head lamp that also recharges the 18650s so with several sets of 18650s I can rotate them through the head light and 3x Cree XRE 60T flashlight). I am amazed at the LED technology. But I like my HID too.

*Lumens and beam width can be compared to a water hose and adjustable nozzle. The same amount of water but how much falls on a paticular spot when you open or close the nozzle? Same effect as spreading light around and easier to see in the "eye of the mind" if you picture the relationship that way.

Dankung

Newly Enlightened
Did they work well at Pep Boys store?
You didn't try it at store, did you?

In two days time I went to three Pep Boys in Tucson and got 3 defective Stanley HIDs and a few days later picked up from Pep Boys in Sandy, UT the fourth. All did not work. Three of them when plugged into AC for the required 8 hour charge showed a steady green full charge light; one of the lights did flash red/green indicating it required the initial charge but it flashed for only a few minutes.

All four would not illuminate when turned on. I tested one on the direct DC cord and it came on.

What goes here? Did I screw up or is this part of the Stanley malfunction?

Each Pep Boys it appears keeps one in inventory, I did a lot of miles to get the HID. Wal Mart informed me they no longer inventory the HID. Where can I find one? I see them on Amazon but my luck suggests I would be facing a nuisance return item situation if I purchased another broken one.

Shortly I will be traveling MT, ID, UT, AZ down the I-15 corridor if anyone can answer: Where do I get one?

Or is there something out there that is similar to the N30 or HIDC10? BTW- my N30 bit the dust, the battery problem led to a burn out of the ballast once I put it on 12V sla, the battery held the voltage and did not dip unlike the 12V and 14.4V on NiMh packs I fooled with.

Thank you CPF,

NL

edit: see post # 14 it is 5 in a row now!