What Headlamp would be comparable to the toughness of an HDS Systems EDC

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
... And why are you recommending this headlamp? If we could keep the cost to around a max of $200.00 bucks would be great! But if it's that good a bit over would be ok.

Thanks!

Last edited:

brianna

Enlightened
Surefire Minimus would be my recommendation. Single battery, well protected no external battery pack and well under 200 dollars. I did not recommend Zebra light because I only consider this to be a light only little girls should own. I had two of those and less then a 3 foot drop onto carpet broke them both. This is why I won't buy cheap crap anymore. The Minimus also has a great UI with no parasitic drain.

d1337

Enlightened
Have you considered getting a headband for an HDS. A couple of companies make headbands that fit different lights. I think that generally they are designed with lights that are not quite as thick in mind but might still work. Nitecore and Nite-Ize are a couple of companies that make headbands.

brianna

Enlightened
He asked for a headlamp recommendation. A flashlight stuck to your head is a poor substitute.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS started out making a big solid caving helmet light - it was designed to keep going when everything else had failed.

The Stenlight is supposed to be pretty solid too

tony613

Newly Enlightened

Zebralight Torture Test

In case you haven't already come across it, above is a link to a detailed progressive test with text, photos and videos (videos provided as links to external sites within the text) of a Zebralight SC30 being repeatedly dropped, and thrown, onto patio stone, inside and out of a bag of stones (it was also run through two wash and dry cycles). This test was conducted on a single light in a flashlight configuration, not a headlamp, but does provide empirical data of the construction of that particular Zebralight flashlight. There are also extensive discussions that follow the test.

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking about a HDS High CRI model to accompany my Surefire Minimus Vision on night-hikes, instead of a larger handheld light. I guess it makes sense that I'd want a Minimus Vision to go with my HDS if it was the other way around. I wish the Vision was smaller and lighter, though.

I did not recommend Zebra light because I only consider this to be a light only little girls should own. I had two of those and less then a 3 foot drop onto carpet broke them both. This is why I won't buy cheap crap anymore.
And I had two die due to not meeting IPX3 standards, much less IPX8, and then my last one was DOA. Sucks doesn't it? I love Zebralights, but how to trust them after that?
Seems like I read their new H502 has a fully potted circuit. If they would test their circuits, and fully pot the head so impact and water ingress wouldn't be an issue, I'd buy a H600Fw and probably a H51Fw. That's the only way I'm buying any more, though.

d1337

Enlightened
I would agree that there are drawbacks to this system. The limited angle adjustability could be an issue depending on what you are using it for but there are advantages as well. One advantage being that if you like HDS lights this meets this requirement well. Another advantage is that you can carry one light and use it two ways. The cost savings is also of note. That being said I use a Zebralight H600. It has been very reliable but I haven't ever dropped mine.
He asked for a headlamp recommendation. A flashlight stuck to your head is a poor substitute.

Last edited:

d1337

Enlightened
That does suck. I have had good luck with my H600 in heavy rain so far but that makes me a little nervous.What models did you have trouble with?
And I had two die due to not meeting IPX3 standards, much less IPX8, and then my last one was DOA. Sucks doesn't it? I love Zebralights, but how to trust them after that?
Seems like I read their new H502 has a fully potted circuit. If they would test their circuits, and fully pot the head so impact and water ingress wouldn't be an issue, I'd buy a H600Fw and probably a H51Fw. That's the only way I'm buying any more, though.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Petzl makes some ruggedized models, designed to take crushing forces.

This one looks like one of the ruggedized models, but I havent tried this one;

and LOOK! you dont havta take the batteries out to charge it! WOW!

Rotating selector dial is easy to use, even with gloves
Durable:
- excellent resistance to falls (2*meters), to impacts and to crushing (80*kg)
- storage position protects the glass and keeps headlamp from being turned on accidentally
Comfortable adjustable headband, easily detached for washing
Flashing battery charge indicator and red light
Resistant to chemicals

http://www.petzl.com/en/pro/new-pro...e-multibeam-headlamp-configurable-performance

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I was also thinking that it would be kind of neat matching the HDS rotary with the Minimus for the UI similarity, too(though I'm not personally interested in the rotary model, a lot of people seem to love it).
Only thing is that you'll have to use something like the LifePO4 cells if you want compatibility with rechargeables, 'cause the SF won't take a 3.7V nominal:(

d1337,
H60w, H30w, H501w("new UI"...dead UI)
There's plenty of Zebralight threads already, though, guys. Sorry, AZ!

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just woke up for a quick minute to take the dogs out, but checked it to see what y'all recommended so far.

I've been doing some reading after I did a search, but most of the threads were older is why I ask for your opinions. Since I've been leaning toward Surefires as of late, the minimus' rotary UI may be the ticket (Since I use and have two rotary UI lights on me everynight, a HDS and a Surefire that I EDC on my keyring).

I'll do more reading on the miniums and (aside form it's UI) the Sparks looks good as well.

Thanks for all of your recommendations and time taken, it's as always, very much appreciated!

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been doing some reading after I did a search, but most of the threads were older is why I ask for your opinions. Since I've been leaning toward Surefires as of late, the minimus' rotary UI may be the ticket
I don't know, man. Maybe I should rethink my recommendation. The Vision really isn't all that bright :(
imgp6135.jpg

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
'Course it isn't very dim, either. I guess it's just the worst of both worlds:(
imgp5668.jpg

Don't freak out folks, it's not really that bright. That's a 4 second exposure :p

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a Wicker's merino/rayon blend boxer brief I got a couple of to try awhile back. I'm wearing one of Icebreaker's RedRam brand "everyday merino" T of almost the same color, though. IB calls it "camo" color, even though it's just green(?). Got several RedRam and regular Icebreaker brand tops and bottoms that I wear for work when it's cooler, and for backpacking out West where it's less humid, and about 50 pairs of merino socks from Smartwool and Point 6 in different heights and weights, plus SW glove liners, and "training" beanie. Comfy stuff:thumbsup: