PK Design Lab
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Headlamp would be comparable to the toughness of an HDS Systems EDC

Default Re: What Headlamp would be comparable to the toughness of an HDS Systems EDC

Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    What's wrong with it? I was planning to buy a Hi CRI clickie if a dealer ever gets them in stock before I die of old age.
    Was hoping to finally get something that would keep working besides a SF or Malkoff dropin...

I tried a NiteCore EZ123w a few years ago. Hopefully your experience with the brand will be much better than mine was.

Owen, sent you a PM.
    Last edited by AZPops; 06-16-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Unenlightened

Default Re: What Headlamp would be comparable to the toughness of an HDS Systems EDC

I agree with garbman and driver. No headlamp is built as tough as the HDS. Apparently no headlamp maker takes waterproofing seriously. The mighty Surefire is good for all of 1.0m. One is such a small number. It's hard for most people to think of a number smaller than one. Maybe headlamp makers that meet IPX7 rating for one meter should consider advertising as waterproof to 1000mm. Even the Stenlight is only good for 25 feet. You might think a headlamp is more likely to see impact, abrasion, and deep water than a flashlight, but headlamp makers apparently do not think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Policecar View Post
    I agree with garbman and driver. No headlamp is built as tough as the HDS. Apparently no headlamp maker takes waterproofing seriously. The mighty Surefire is good for all of 1.0m. One is such a small number. It's hard for most people to think of a number smaller than one. Maybe headlamp makers that meet IPX7 rating for one meter should consider advertising as waterproof to 1000mm. Even the Stenlight is only good for 25 feet. You might think a headlamp is more likely to see impact, abrasion, and deep water than a flashlight, but headlamp makers apparently do not think so.
    These headlights aren't designed to be dive lights. Realistically, they are built to withstand dust, dirt, rain, and the occasional shallow dunking. If you need a headlight that waterproof to greater depths, look to dedicated dive lights/headlights.

Unenlightened

The only dedicated dive headlamp I have ever seen is the Vizion made by Underwater Kinetics. This is only good for 10m water depth.

With all of the great, well engineered, and highly waterproof flashlights (such as Dark Sucks), why are headlamps so far behind? Absolutely none are on par with the best flashlights. Headlamps will inherently see more abuse. A flashlight is commonly a toy, collection item, or something used around the house. A headlamp is very likely used in a cave, on a trail, climbing a mountain, or under your car.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Policecar View Post
    The only dedicated dive headlamp I have ever seen is the Vizion made by Underwater Kinetics. This is only good for 10m water depth.

With all of the great, well engineered, and highly waterproof flashlights (such as Dark Sucks), why are headlamps so far behind? Absolutely none are on par with the best flashlights. Headlamps will inherently see more abuse. A flashlight is commonly a toy, collection item, or something used around the house. A headlamp is very likely used in a cave, on a trail, climbing a mountain, or under your car.
    I agree; thank you!!