cnqualitygoods 1 piece of Panasonic NCR 18650 3400mAh Li-on unprotected battery

3400mAh / 4.35V.
Interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

space-cowboy

Newly Enlightened
Re: Panasonic NCR18650B

Yep,

It is same as NCR18650A, but they "played" with enhanced nickel.

I am not a chemist,

but would like to work for free with Panasonic R&D :)

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

so how much of a runtime difference will we typically see between a 3400 mAh and a 3100 mAh cell (all things being equal?)?

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast

mmm, I like that much better! I liked how the A version had increased capacity at 4.2V charge, but I disliked how many cycles the extra capacity apparently lasted for, but then again, I'm only going off of user reports. At the time, the "NNP" they were boasting was still pretty new, I bet they are working on improving robustness in that layer to improve cycle count. I will probably work in a couple of new technology cells for myself for Christmas :)

and never offer to work for free. At least request ramen ;-)

loutsopo

Newly Enlightened

Hm, that's even better than expected, 3400mAh without need for a special charger :O

I think that i will use some defective chargers that i have where stop at 4.4V with these batteries.:)

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast

Probably about a 10% increase.

Nah. If the capacities are correct, I would think the 3400mAh cell would only have about a 9.7% advantage over the 3100mAh cell, maybe a bit less.:)

Seriously, I think a lot of confusion stems around the fact that some folks do not understand that the mAh capacity of a cell is essentially how much stored energy potential a cell has at a specific discharge rate, and is not necessarily relevant to how much power a cell can deliver. For example, a 1500-1600mAh IMR cell has about 2-3 times the power (Watt) potential of a 3100mAh LiNiCo cell. It just doesn't store as much energy.

The same is true when comparing high discharge rate NiMh cells with conventional NiMh cells. High discharge rate cells usually have a lower mAh capacity, but can deliver more power, however they don't store as much total energy. It depends on the particular application as to whether a light will run brighter, or longer, and which type cell is essentially "better" for that particular application.

Dave

HKJ

Flashaholic

When you start looking at what a battery can do, you also need to look at what the light need, with many single cell lights the battery voltage is very important for brightness. This is related to power delivery, but is not the same.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got an email from Orbtronic -- they said they're going to have this in stock soon!
Yay for domestic shipping!

hopefully they price it competitively like their 3100 mAh cells used to be :(

edit: disregard this, it looks like their prices are back to normal. they had been going up for a bit though

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very true, HKJ. This is the reason that for me and my applications, I favor the Samsung 30A and LG 4.35 Volt cells over the Panasonic 4.20 Volt cells. I must say I was a bit disappointed that these new "B" cells are actually 4.20 Volts. I really need the extra voltage available under load. Also, the capacity below 3.00 Volts (under load), of any of these cells, doesn't do me any good.

Dave