Eagletac D25C (XM-L U2, 1x(R)CR123A) Review

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
For submission in the Reviews forum, Thanks!

Eagletac has recently released the D25 clicky series which use a tailcap switch to control on-off and change modes. There are totally 5 models with a XM-L U2 emitter for standard feature and other emitter options such as XT-E R5, XP-G S2, XP-G R4(NW), XM-L T6(NW) available. The model for review is a D25C XM-L U2 version.

Manufacturer Specifications from Eagletac's website :

1. Dimensions
• Head Dia. : 0.78 inches (20mm)
• Body Dia. : 0.78 inches (20mm)
• Length : 2.9 inches (75mm)
• Weight : 1 ounce (29grams)
2. LED
• Cool White CREE XM-L U2 LED
3. Battery Type
• 1xCR123A
• Compatible battery size
- Diameter : 16-16.9mm
- Length : 34-34.9mm
4. Operating voltage
• 0.8V - 3.2V
5. Max output
• LED lumen : 397 (750 LED lumen with 16340 li-ion battery.)
• OTF lumen : 277
6. Lens
• Impact resistance waterwhite glass lens
• Anti-reflective(AR) coating on both side
7. Circuit
• A950RC
• Efficiency : up to 90%
• Constant current regulation (non-PWM) for all output modes
• Turbo boost technology
8. Reflector
• Very light orange peel aluminum reflector
9. Material
• HAIII hard anodization aerospace aluminum
10. Waterproof
• IPX-8 standard
11. Output and Runtime
• Four brightness levels
- Led lumen : Turbo(397)/High(260)/Med.(29)/Low(1)
- ANSI FL-1 lumen : Turbo(277)/High(182)/Med.(22)/Low(0.5)
- With moon-mode setting disabled, lowest output will increase by about 6 times, to 4 lumen, and the second lowest output will double, to around 65 lumen
• Runtime
- Runtime : Turbo(0.9)/High(1.6)/Med.(10)/Low(150+) hours
• Seven hidden auxiliary outputs
- Strobe/Strobe(Var)/Flash(Hi)/S.O.S.(Fast)/S.O.S./Becaon/Flash(Lo)
S-1.jpg

D25C comes with user manual, warranty card, spare o-ring, mil-spec paracord lanyard, very good quality nylon holster with a flip with a snap button.
S-2.jpg

S-3.jpg

S-4.jpg

The hard(type III) anodizing is a glossy black and no flaws on my sample. There are identification labels on the head only. All labels (i.e. manufacturer name, logo on one side and mode change mark, model name on the opposite side) on the head are sharp and clear, and very small in bright white against the black background. The diamond-shape knurling is present over most of the battery tube, with a band on the head. This enhance grip and makes the head easier to twist single-handed. The polished stainless steel pocket clip is held on with two M2 hex screws on the one side of the base. It is a very sturdy clip. To remove it, M1.55 hex key is required.
S-5.jpg

The light has 2 parts (i.e. head and battery tube).
The stainless steel pocket clip works as a good anti-roll device as well.
S-6.jpg

The light has a flat and shallow stainless steel bezel with a very dark gray color. There are two cooling fins for heat dissipation near knurled band on the head. The positive battery contact has a circular raised lip (or bump) which works as a mechanical (or physical) reverse polarity protection. The light uses AR coating lens and the sky blue hue is reflected on it.
The aluminum reflector has a very light orange peel pattern. My first view of it appear as if it's a smooth reflector. It is perfectly polished with no noticeable finishing flaws and well-centered XM-L U2 LED sits at the bottom of the reflector cut.
S-7.jpg

The knurling on the battery tube is not too aggressive nor too smooth. It provides a nice grip like head. There is a negative contact spring on the tail end which holds the 16340 battery in place and prevents rattle. The tailcap switch boot has a Eagletac logo stamped into it. It is a reverse clicky. The rubber switch cap is recessed within the tail end. The switch has a good feel to touch and has short travel with moderate tension. There are also two holes and one slot on the tail lip for lanyard attachment. The wall thickness of the inside tube is reasonably thick, but looks thin at the front of the tube.
S-8.jpg

S-9.jpg

The screw threads are trapezoid, and not anodized. So no head lock-out is possible due to the head twisty feature for mode changes. The threads are smooth with no cross-threading or squeaking on my sample.
S-10.jpg

The light can tailstand perfectly with lanyard attachment without any problem.
S-11.jpg

From left to right, Panasonic CR123A, Fenix E15, Xtar Wk21, Eagletac D25C, Sunwayman M11R, Solarforce L2M.
As you can see the picture, D25C is relatively small size of the lights in this class in spite of a tailcap switch attached.
S-12.jpg

It is good size to hold and can be used as an EDC light.
S-13.jpg

The CR123A & RCR123A fit in the tube without a lot of free space.
Overall build quality is very good.
S-14.jpg

The net weight of the light is 30g. The weight including 1xCR123A and 1xRCR123A are 46g and 48g respectively.
S-15.jpg

The D25C comes with a very nice & rigid built nylon holster with a flip with a snap button. It prevents the light from moving or sliding inside the holster.
User Interface

The light supplies really wide choice of user interfaces. To understand them requires a little time and effort. But it's not so difficult. Let's see it.
Press the tailcap switch until it clicks to turn on the light. (i.e. press and release for on). Press the switch again until it clicks to turn off the light.

There are two output groups (i.e. Group 1 & 2).
With the head tighten, you get group 2. With the head loosened, you get group 1. With the light on, slightly (or half) pressing & releasing the switch will advance you to the next output in each group.

1. Group 1 :
With the head loosened, slightly pressing & releasing the switch cycles the output in the following order.
Low -> Med. -> High -> Low -> Med. -> High -> Strobe I -> Strobe II -> Beacon I -> Beacon II -> SOS I -> SOS II -> Low-Flash -> cycle

The user manual says the following sequence.
Low -> Med. -> High -> Low -> Med. -> High -> Strobe I -> Strobe II -> SOS I -> SOS II -> Beacon -> Low-Flash -> cycle

The Eagletac website describes the following sequence.
Low -> Med. -> High -> Low -> Med. -> High -> Strobe I -> Strobe II -> Flash -> SOS I -> SOS II -> Beacon -> Low-Flash -> cycle

I think the user manual and Eagletac website incorrectly define the output sequence of the group 1.

With the head loosened (i.e. in group 1), you get the programmable features available in two groups such as moonlight output and mode memory.
The moonlight output means you can dim the output levels of the group 1.

The moonlight output [on] is accessible by switching the light on with the head loosened, then perform a sequence of tightening/loosening of the head 3 times.
If you perform the above sequence once again, you can return to the moonlight output [off].
From my test of the moonlight output, the reduction of the brightness between the moonlight output [on] and [off] isn't significantly decreased except the low output. I will explain it later on again.

The mode memory (which enabled the light to turn on at the last used output level) can be enabled or disabled if you want. This is done by performing switching the light on with the head tightened, then perform a sequence of loosening/tightening of the head 3 times.
[In addition dated on 12.06.06], I've checked the mode memory several times. The mode memory of my sample doesn't work on either group 1 & 2. It is available on group 1 (or head-loosen state) only. If I have mode memory turned on, my sample always remembers the last mode I used on group 1, but it doesn't memory the last mode on group 2. [12.06.06]

2. Group 2 :
With the head tighten, slightly pressing & releasing the switch cycles the output in the following order.
Turbo -> Strobe ->cycle
PWM

S-16.jpg

The light shows no sign of PWM at turbo, med., low and moonlight low output levels. But I can see slightly flickering at high level, but can't see it visually in practical use. This is detected by waving the light. (I detected the flickering at high with the live view LCD monitor of my digital camera as well.) It's strange there is flickering at high level only, although manufacturer claims constant current regulation for all output levels. I notice that there is no buzzing sound at any levels.
Runtime

S-17.jpg

D25C steps down on turbo after around 3~3.5 minutes runtime. This is a common feature on a number of heavily-driven lights to protect from overheating. The runtime for 50% output of turbo & high on 1xCR123A are appr. 54 mins and 94 mins respectively in my test. The runtime at turbo & high is 72 mins & 113 mins respectively.
I didn't test a runtime on 1xRCR123A due to high discharge. (i.e. LED lumen is 750 at turbo with a RCR123A as claims, it means the light will consume currents at least more than 2A.)

Regulation is maintained nicely through turbo & high level of output on 1xCR123A. High is lower than step-down level of turbo by around 16%.
Moonlight On & Off

As I said earlier, there is not much difference in brightness between the moonlight output [on] and [off] except the low output. I placed the light meter at a test distance 30 cm from the lens of D25C. Results are reported in lux. Measurements were taken 3 mins of turning on the light. Here are the results.

S-18.jpg

S-19.jpg

Beamshot

1. White door beamshot (about 50cm from the white door)
- ISO100, F/3.5, 1/125sec, Auto white balance
- Battery used : Panasonic CR123A

S-20.jpg

The beam tint on D25C is cool white leaning very slightly towards the color spectrum green hue around the hot spot, but not by much. It seems that the overall beam quality is good.
2. Indoor beamshot (about 3.5m from the target)
- ISO100, F/2.8, 1/4sec, Auto white balance
- Battery used : Panasonic CR123A

S-21.jpg

- Turbo
S-22.jpg

- High
S-23.jpg

- Med.
S-24.jpg

- Low
S-25.jpg

[Addition of the following beamshot, 12.06.09]
3. Indoor beamshot (about 7m from the target)
- ISO100, F/2.8, 1/2sec, Auto white balance
- Battery used : AW RCR123A, Panasonic CR123A

S-26.jpg

-Control Shot
S-27.jpg

- Turbo (CR123A)
S-28.jpg

- Turbo (RCR123A)
S-29.jpg

[12.06.09]

* D25C was supplied by Eagletac for review (Thanks for your support. Christina!)

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
please could you elaborate in detail on the mode memory (for example with several detailed examples)?
thanks!

and you didnt measure brightness levels with RCR123 (or beamshots)?

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
D25C steps down on turbo after around 3~3.5 minutes runtime. This is a common feature on a number of heavily-driven lights to protect from overheating.
Yes, and no.
It is to game the ANSI rating system. The heat generation is far in excess of the safe [for product longevity] dissipation capability of the flashlight in the boost mode.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
please could you elaborate in detail on the mode memory (for example with several detailed examples)?
thanks!

and you didnt measure brightness levels with RCR123 (or beamshots)?

Hi shelm,

If you turn the light on with the head tightened, and twist loosening -> tightening -> loosening -> tightening -> loosening -> tightening, you can access memory mode.
But the memory mode is not available for Group 2, but for Group1 only on my sample.
The memory for each brightness level such as StrobeI, II, SOS I, low, high, and every levels in Group 1 is available even though after changing the battery.

Of course, memory mode can is disabled by repeating [loosening -> tightening -> loosening -> tightening -> loosening -> tightening the head] again.

I didn't measure the brightness with RCR123A due to the high discharge ratio of the cell. (I don't have any IMR 16340 cell either.) Sorry for that.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the explanation. Your English (S.K.) is really good!!

* D25C was supplied by Eagletac for review (Thanks for your support. Christina!)
Congrats to your FREE sample. I should contact Christina for a FREE sample too ;)
If i want, i can write good reviews too LOL.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Nice review. I particularly like the detailed pics of all components. Given the length of my reviews, I typically need to skimp on this part. :)

But the memory mode is not available for Group 2, but for Group1 only on my sample.
You might want to double-check that. Although the Eagletac manual claims mode memory only works on Group 1, I found it also worked on Group 2 as well for my D25C-XML, D25C-XPG and D25A2-XPG (confirmed on all three). Mode memory wasn't available or didn't work on either group on the D25LC2-XML however (manual states that it doesn't work on the D25A).

I know this can be confusing, so I updated my D25 clicky review as well with a summary of my UI findings. And just to be clear for those who don't own the lights, all models "remember" if you are in Group 1 or Group 2. The mode memory we talking about here is whether or not it retains the last level used within those head-loosened groups, or if it always starts in the lowest mode (which is the default for no mode memory, or when mode memory is toggled off).

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Memory mode also works on both group 1 and 2 on my D25C clicky U2. Although I do not find the memory mode to be very useful, as I am using a single AW IMR 16340 cell.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, and no.
It is to game the ANSI rating system. The heat generation is far in excess of the safe [for product longevity] dissipation capability of the flashlight in the boost mode.

I understand what you mean. I think the heat generation of the light is inevitable when consuming high currents. D25C is fairly small EDC light and it looks it doesn't have a sufficient heat dissipation volume. So it needs to be stepped-down to protect the LED & circuit from overheating.

Thanks for the explanation. Your English (S.K.) is really good!!

Congrats to your FREE sample. I should contact Christina for a FREE sample too ;)
If i want, i can write good reviews too LOL.

Thanks for your good words. (It's very difficult for me to write a review in English. A little bit difficult to do in Korean as well.)
I hope to see your nice review. :)

Nice review. I particularly like the detailed pics of all components. Given the length of my reviews, I typically need to skimp on this part. :)

You might want to double-check that. Although the Eagletac manual claims mode memory only works on Group 1, I found it also worked on Group 2 as well for my D25C-XML, D25C-XPG and D25A2-XPG (confirmed on all three). Mode memory wasn't available or didn't work on either group on the D25LC2-XML however (manual states that it doesn't work on the D25A).

I know this can be confusing, so I updated my D25 clicky review as well with a summary of my UI findings. And just to be clear for those who don't own the lights, all models "remember" if you are in Group 1 or Group 2. The mode memory we talking about here is whether or not it retains the last level used within those head-loosened groups, or if it always starts in the lowest mode (which is the default for no mode memory, or when mode memory is toggled off).

Memory mode also works on both group 1 and 2 on my D25C clicky U2. Although I do not find the memory mode to be very useful, as I am using a single AW IMR 16340 cell.

Thanks. Selfbuilt!
I think your review doesn't need to consider that part, becuase yours itself encompasses everything. :thumbsup:

Also I've found [shortcut] to jump back to the first Low brightness level, no matter where I'm in the sequence. It's very useful shortcut function when I'm in non-mode memory state.
Thanks for good information.

Selfbuilt & BLUE LED!,
I've tried to double-check the mode memory again. However mode memory of my sample doesn't work on either group I & II. It is available on group I (or head-loosen state) only.
If I have mode memory turned on, my sample always remembers the last mode I used on group I, but it doesn't remember the last mode on group II. :confused:
I'll ask Eagletac about this.

Thanks a bunch.
I really like these pics!

S-2.jpg

S-12.jpg

Thanks GordoJones88 too.

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very thorough review. This seems like a nice little light, and it has great power for its small size................But....

I think the Jetbeam BC-10 beats it for a few good reasons.

1. The D25 C2 OTF turbo is 277 ANSI, but that shuts down to high(182L ANSI) while the BC-10, with an XPG R5 has a 270L high, which doesnt shut down to a lower level(I'm assuming thats ANSI/OTF as well).

2. The D25 runs at high(182L) for 1.6 hours, The BC 10 runs at 270L for about 1.5 hours.

3. The BC has a more useful lower setting, at 30L, which works out well for most every outdoor task ,while the D25 C2 has 2 lower settings of .5L and 22L. But the 22L coming out of a small diameter reflector with an XM-L probably wouldn't be as useful as the BC-10's 30L from an more throwey XPG R5 out of a slightly larger reflector.

4. The Bc-10's 30L low runs for 18 hours, while the D 25 C2's 22 lumen medium setting has a runtime of only 10 hours.

5. The D 25 C2 seems to be thin walled in some areas, which would explain the extremely light weight of 29 grams, whereas the slightly larger Bc-10 weighs in at 47 grams. The BC-10 is only .5" longer and about 3mm wider. So the BC-10 is undoubtedly more durable.

6. The D25 C2 has more modes, but they are more complex to use, whereas the BC-10 only has low and high, and can be easily and immediately mastered by anyone. Its easier to use.

7. The D25 C2 costs $55, whereas the BC-10 is only $39.

*8. The BC-10 looks cooler(this is not objective)

Here's the benefits of the G25 C2:

1. An alleged Turbo of 750L using a 16340, but that turbo would be short lasting due to shutoff.
2. Light weight and small size.
**3. A titanium model out soon?

I'll gladly buy the Ti model when and if it becomes available(if it hasnt already sold out)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I've tried to double-check the mode memory again. However mode memory of my sample doesn't work on either group I & II. It is available on group I (or head-loosen state) only.
If I have mode memory turned on, my sample always remembers the last mode I used on group I, but it doesn't rember the last mode on group II. :confused:
I'll ask Eagletac about this.
Interesting. That is at least consistent with Eagletac specs, but it is not the case on any of my three samples that have memory mode (i.e., works on both group 1 and 2). :shrug:

1. The D25 C2 OTF turbo is 277 ANSI, but that shuts down to high(182L ANSI) while the BC-10, with an XPG R5 has a 270L high, which doesnt shut down to a lower level(I'm assuming thats ANSI/OTF as well).
2. The D25 runs at high(182L) for 1.6 hours, The BC 10 runs at 270L for about 1.5 hours.
The BC10 is a fine light, for basic two-stage operation. But I am afraid the reported specs are not accurate. Please see my D25C review for direct output and runtime graphs and summary tables comparing the two lights.

But to sum up, on max on 1xCR123A, the D25C XP-G S2 starts out brighter than the BC10, and then drops to the exact same level for the rest of the run. Runtime was marginally longer on my D25C-XPG as well. And the Hi1 mode of the D25C is just slightly lower output but even longer running.

The BC10 does have a generally good Lo mode, but it is a little peculiar - starts out around ~55 lumens, and then drops gradually to ~30 lumens, where it then very slowly drops off to ~20 lumens eventually. See my BC10 review for more info. I agree this is a better level than the ~70-90 lumens I found for Med2/Med1 on the D25C-XPG. Although Lo1 mode (measured at ~9 lumens) isn't too bad on the D25C-XPG.

See my D25C review for direct output and runtime graphs and summary tables.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
6. The D25 C2 has more modes, but they are more complex to use, whereas the BC-10 only has low and high, and can be easily and immediately mastered by anyone. Its easier to use.

All D25 clicky series have rich user interface which is one of the nice features. It may be complex to some people or may be useful to others. Thanks to BMX, you can use [low and med. mode] only.
Also you can make the light as a 3 brightness mode interface (i.e. low, med., high) light.
Just see the below reply.

What's the shortcut?

Also my D25C doesn't have memory mode for Group 2 either.

BMX discovered the very useful shortcut to jump you back to the first Low(red) brightness level, no matter where you are in the sequence on Group 1. Just soft-press and hold the switch for 1~1.5 seconds, and the light brings you back to the first Low(red) brightness state (i.e. Low -> med. -> high -> low -> med. -> high -> strobe I -> etc.). Otherwise, you can leave mode memory off, and the light will always come on in the first Low(red). You can just repeat [low -> med. -> high] after you soft-press and hold the swith for 1~1.5 seconds when you are in high. So this shortcut may lead you to other appilications for user interface.

Thanks for your feedback.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
BMX discovered the very useful shortcut to jump you back to the first Low(red) brightness level, no matter where you are in the sequence on Group 1.
FYI, I mistakenly posted in my review that this works with memory turned on - it doesn't. The shortcut only works if memory is turned off. In essense, this shortcut works like turning the light off and on, but without the clicking required.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, I mistakenly posted in my review that this works with memory turned on - it doesn't. The shortcut only works if memory is turned off. In essense, this shortcut works like turning the light off and on, but without the clicking required.

Yes, exactly. The shortcut is very nice feature to control the UI.
Thanks a lot again for your kind notice.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. That is at least consistent with Eagletac specs, but it is not the case on any of my three samples that have memory mode (i.e., works on both group 1 and 2). :shrug:

The BC10 is a fine light, for basic two-stage operation. But I am afraid the reported specs are not accurate. Please see my D25C review for direct output and runtime graphs and summary tables comparing the two lights.

But to sum up, on max on 1xCR123A, the D25C XP-G S2 starts out brighter than the BC10, and then drops to the exact same level for the rest of the run. Runtime was marginally longer on my D25C-XPG as well. And the Hi1 mode of the D25C is just slightly lower output but even longer running.

The BC10 does have a generally good Lo mode, but it is a little peculiar - starts out around ~55 lumens, and then drops gradually to ~30 lumens, where it then very slowly drops off to ~20 lumens eventually. See my BC10 review for more info. I agree this is a better level than the ~70-90 lumens I found for Med2/Med1 on the D25C-XPG. Although Lo1 mode (measured at ~9 lumens) isn't too bad on the D25C-XPG.

See my D25C review for direct output and runtime graphs and summary tables.

I just now am reading this post at 1:25am, so I'll have to look at the 2 reviews you linked tomorrow, but I wasnt aware that the BC-10 specs were off, nor that it's high power setting would drop during extended use, nor that it's low started out at 55L either. I usually only have it on for 2-5-10-15 minutes at a time, and I have not really noticed any drop that was in any way obvious to me, but maybe it takes longer than that for it to happen. But it's low has been very useful most of the time, for most tasks. The BC-10 does not have a 100% perfect beam, but then again, what light does? I have lights that do have better beams(2 of them), but those lights have other disadvantages that make them less desirable for every day use, so I've learned that super beam quality and overall brightness arent nearly the most important or useful aspects to a light, as size, weight, durability, ease of use and user friendliness are also very important. My iTp A6 has the best overall beam quality of all my 5 higher end lights, but its too big and heavy to carry around in my pocket every day, so its not as useful as the BC-10.