Thieves took my tools!

beach honda

Enlightened
Just have to blow off some ranting steam.
Went to my storage closet the other morning to get some tools for a tune up job only to found they had been stolen. I make a living as a mechanic so its kinda detrimental to my living situation. It was at least five grand worth of quality tools I had built up over time. I have lived here for about two years in a nice area. I can only wonder...was I targeted or just the victim of a random theft?

Yikes, sleepin with the shotgun just a little closer than usual now. False sense of security to say the least.

Ok rant over. Thanks for listening.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry,I love my tools, I know how difficult it would be to replace years of hand selected, well used, favorite tools..

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really sorry to hear that man.

Hopefully you had some type of insurance policy that covers the loss.

Even if you did, a tool collection is much more than the monetary value.

I hope that you find a way to replace the most important pieces soon.

It's always personal when someone steals from you. But when someone steals your tools it's a different kind of personal. I don't take pride in my ability to watch my television. I don't enjoy a sense of accomplishment after using my iPad for an hour.....

A man's car and his tools, two things you just don't mess with. Sorry for your loss beach.

~ Chance

beach honda

Enlightened
Thanks for the consolation brothers, but no insurance! Live and learn about the scumm that exists on my own merit I guess. It is VERY personal and feels like waking up with a sore jaw from the night before. Wtf happened?

Im glad i still have my collection of flashlights and a good support system.

Be safe out there, never know who is watching.

BudK

Newly Enlightened
That truly sucks . Are you going to go get them back ? Thieves are stupid . They could be on C.L. right now or at the thrift or pawn shop(s) .
I had a large case of cd's in my truck stolen out of my back yard . Made a list & dropped it off at the aforementioned shops & police station .
Two weeks later we had them back & the doper that took em went to jail .

Give it a shot .

beach honda

Enlightened
Bud,

I made a police report, which is forwarded to local pawn shops. I have also searched Craigslist. Such a violating feeling. I have had things taken before, but NOT my livelihood damnit! If only they knew how close they could have been to a certin demise via gunpoint. Argggggh!

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
A man's car and his tools, two things you just don't mess with. Sorry for your loss beach.

Exactly!

It really sucks to hear that. One lesson I've learned is don't store anything expensive in a storage shed. One summer my mother had $500 worth of kitchen utensils (pots, pans, plates, etc) in a storage bin in the backyard. At the end of the summer she went to look for them, and it was completely empty. Unfortunately you're not alone. I know lots of folks who've had their tools stolen from their trucks, storage areas, homes, etc. :( The way thieves see it, why should I buy each tool individually when I can just take em? :shakehead

Do you have any SN's from each tool? Even from a couple of tools? It might be worth a try to report it to the police. If they find the stash (which does happen in big raids) you can get lucky. That or if you ever come across someone with tools possessing the same SN, at least you can go from there...

Last edited:

zenbeam

Enlightened
Hate to hear about such things - especially from fellow community members... well, CPF community in this case.

I had a similar experience some years ago. Still can't shake that feeling of violation whenever I recall the incident, although fortunately I don't think about it too much.

So yeah.... I hear you. Especially when you talk about that false sense of security. I'm afraid we live in a world where we have to create our own security.

Sorry to hear about this.

Slazmo

Enlightened
Could possibly be a past customer of yours?

If you show or gloat about tools you have I would assume that they would go for it... Same deal with a mate that lived across the road and he always went on about his fishing gear being Penn Internationals and I tell you it was the nicest gear - however to everyone and even showed them to gloat...

Few months later "gone" broken in and the whole lot dissapeared... And a little less than two years later he was diagnosed with terminal cancer and died 3 months after being diagnosed with 6 months to live...

I'm pretty sure that anything close to you and what you love eg: tools or fishing gear will break more than a heart.

Best thing is to gloat that you have crap tools and old fishing gear thats always breaking down on you to others. All the best getting it back - may be nothing more than a small miracle but all the same!

mrmike

Newly Enlightened
A tip (if you don't know this already)...

If you have to store valuables in a shed (like I do), do yourself a favor and spend the $ for an Abloy Padlock. They're expensive, but they're quite a bit better than what you'll find in a hardware store.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thieves will get what they want, even with the best locks or security. I had a customer that was robbed a number of years ago. The doors and windows all had alarms, no motion detectors. They backed up a box truck to a solid part of the brick wall and broke through the wall. This was done on a weekend.

A neighbor of mine had his work truck stolen, he is in heating and air conditioning. They found the truck, minus all the tools and supplies. They even took the doors off the truck...

It is a pain, but if you can, store expensive stuff in the house. I bring my bike inside and never leave it outside.

Sorry for your lose, hopefully they will catch the thieves.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
A tip (if you don't know this already)...

If you have to store valuables in a shed (like I do), do yourself a favor and spend the $ for an Abloy Padlock. They're expensive, but they're quite a bit better than what you'll find in a hardware store.

The padlock is only as good as the hinges, hasp/staple & the door.

I have heard several accounts of thieves simply unscrewing the hasp & staple from the door and replacing it when they were done or removing the door by removing the hinge pins or unscrewing them.

Bigpal

Enlightened
A thief is lowest of the low. I like to think that when they sold the tools, they had to use the money for a hospital trip because they fell down the steps and snapped a bone or two.

It was probably random, so don't let it cause any paranoia, that will just stress you out. But keep your ears open too, because the dumb guy always brags about his 'score'.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
check the flea markets.esp the outdoor ones where folks set up for a day.
hope you have identifying marks and serial numbers!

Latest posts