Looking for HID light

Jordanpaul

Newly Enlightened
He everyone,
I am in the market for a very strong HID light.
I would prefer a variable zoom but if I had to pick a flashlight with one setting, I would want emphasis on a narrow spot beam.
I have seen lots of posts on eBay for the following:

[h=1]45/65/85W 8500Lumen HID Xenon 8700mAh[/h]Can anyone give me some insight regarding this flashlight?
There are many on eBay with different prices.
They all look the same but are they?
Price range would be $300 or less.
Thanks so much

langham

Enlightened
They are all the same light, I have looked through them and I am also asking quite a few questions and I am currently looking for answers with regards to their battery. Some of the $200 models come with a Q-5 or Q-3 built in to the battery and a universal charger for your phone/mobile device. These are very cool features to put in, just due to the fact that a flashlight that size will rarely come in handy but those battery features would come in handy quite a bit. They also seem to have different ratings on the battery like 6600mah and 8700mah. If you calculate out what you know they used and the given voltage you will find that at most they would have put in 3 sets of 3 18650 cells in parallel and that would mean that it is either 6600mah or if they used a 2500mah 18650 (highly unlikely) that would put you up to 7500mah. I don't think that it will be anything over 2200mah cells as that is the norm for these types of lights. You could easily modify/build a new head to make a throwier head for this one, or you could tame down on the power significantly and go for a head diameter of 5" or so. Less than $300 is going to pose quite an issue with most people who post here though, as that is what they spend for their EDC lights. I have looked around alibaba.com quite a bit and this model is pretty popular (not an HID, sorry just a little trouble with that price, it does look like what you are looking for though) although it is on DX.com SKU: 47754, I would recommend the SKU: 26248 batteries if you get them from DX and the charger either the SKU: 6105 for quickness or the SKU: 6105 for a slower charge that will trickle charge your batteries and give them more life. The other people on this site would most likely recommend the SR-90 and that is a safe (but expensive) choice. Good luck, I would be happy to help you further I will keep an eye on this if you want to ask any further questions. A good thower HID will cost around $425 like the streamlight lightbox, but if you get one of these it may be better for the price.

Jordanpaul

Newly Enlightened
Thanks so much for your reply. The SR-90 does look like a great light. I bit the bullet and purchased a LED Lenser X21. It definitely is brightest of all my flashlights but the throw is a bit disappointing in that it is not as narrow as I would have liked. Let me know what you end up going with please. Thanks.

langham

Enlightened
Does it really throw that far? I watched some beam shots and it doesn't seem to be all that great. I would like to see it compared to my new DX light, it went on clearance so I decided I needed it. It is the SKU: 102582 I haven't got it outside at night yet, but it seems to have more throw than any of my other lights. It uses 2*18650 and one XML-T6 and the current at the tail is 1.6A which is pretty impressive. The lower modes have very slow PWM and that is annoying, but they are useful levels, not just a slight step down that will ultimately still eat battery life. It wasn't very good out of the box, but then I took it apart and cleaned up some of the electrical connections that were just awful, and now it shines. I am a little worried about the LED due to the fact that it is at almost 13W output, but the heat sinking is good and I have another XML if it goes out. That thing looks like a beast, it is so big. My wife is probably going to buy me the 85W HID for Christmas, and I am going to buy the required tools to give it a 12V 100W Halogen bulb to cook some stuff.