Acebeam
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mag changed their incan bulb!

Flashaholic*

Default Mag changed their incan bulb!

I just ordered a 4D mag to have cut down by Jesus, and look at what I found upon opening the package!

They now use a bi-pin bulb! Anyone know what size?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85...e/IMAG0285.jpg
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85...e/IMAG0290.jpg
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85...e/IMAG0291.jpg
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85...e/IMAG0293.jpg

Output rating is 72 lumens, and 10 hours.
    Mag 1D, 2DL, 3DL, 6D hotwire+extension... Fenix E15... Surefire Z2, E1e, 6P, U2 modded with T5 XM-L... Just to name a few

Wow! That's wild.
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

Best Diffusion Film!

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Mag changed their incan bulb!

Is the holder plastic? I wonder what other bulbs would fit it?

Shrug Re: Mag changed their incan bulb!

Quote Originally Posted by PCC View Post
    Is the holder plastic? I wonder what other bulbs would fit it?
    If your thinking along the lines of SL Strion forget it, it'll melt in a hurry

thats great 72 lumen? Hey ther making progress.I love Mag, grew up swinging grandpas around the garage(he replaced alot of bulbs)
    think ill get a blue one.
    Union Proud IBEW Local 683

Flashaholic

Yet another collaboration between engineering and marketing to control more of residual sales. If you sell a flashlight and most people only buy a couple of them a life time, and the only thing that really wears out/ gets replaced is the bulb... Make more expensive, highly specialized bulbs of which you are the only supplier. Pretty slick, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Quest4fire View Post
    Make more expensive, highly specialized bulbs of which you are the only supplier. Pretty slick, huh?
    ehh... 4D lamp, so 6V... I have a hunch Marantz lamp part # IN1006301 6.3V 40MA Bi-Pin will fit

Flashaholic*

OK, who's gonna melt one first?!!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    well, the maglites at my Home Depot still uses PR lamps.

Nominal voltage of 4 cell alkaline bulbs are 4.8 volt.
    That bulb is G2.5 bi-pin.
    In order to use G4 bulbs, pin holes must be enlarged.
    Closest bright 4.8 volt G4 bi-pin bulb under 10 watts is WA1319 which is 1.9 Amp.
    Any higher wattage bulb such as FM axial 4 volt, 3.3 Amps will melt the plastic socket, reflector and/or lens.
    Any bulb with higher than 1 Amps needs to use with rechargeable batteries.
    Last edited by fivemega; 02-09-2013 at 03:10 PM.

Posts# 1,6,7, & 10 are indicative of why I love this forum. Fast-breaking news/cogent marketing analysis/solid tech info/solid tech info. Thank you all. Yet another reason to keep an eye out for beater M*glites at yard sales. And a few years ago, who would have thought that they would eventually become more 'collectible' (before new switch set-screws, and bulb holders)?

I picked up a 3 or a 4 d at walmart a week or so ago with the bi pin. I must admit even though for my personal taste it was about 3 years too late, I was still glad to see them moving forward. As mentioned before the socket is plastic though so be careful with upgrades
    In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
    Shorty C/D M*glites

Flashaholic

ehh... 4D lamp, so 6V... I have a hunch Marantz lamp part # IN1006301 6.3V 40MA Bi-Pin will fit
    Nice one Illum! However, I doubt the vast majority of M@glite purchasers (Ma@lite has let us know how they feel about our crowd with their "Improvements" that make their lights more difficult to mod, huh) will be looking for other companies to source replacements for these new bulbs from, or even be aware of their existence. Shoot, I've been lurking around here since '06 and have never seen them.

how does new bulb perform compared to old pr bulb? is the beam more focused\uniform??

Quote Originally Posted by alpg88 View Post
    how does new bulb perform compared to old pr bulb? is the beam more focused\uniform??
    Given the dramatic in reduction in filament length its going to be much easier to collimate into a dot... but as seen on minimags I think flood mode is still going to look very crappy

Do you have a picture of what the hole the holder goes into looks like? Could you just put a regular PR bulb in there in place of the holder?

Hmmm . . . .

Not sure if this development is a Good thing, or a Bad thing.

(for me, at least)

You see, i still have a significant stockpile of PR-base Bulbs.

_

too much plastic in there to get me excited. If its some kind of HIGH melting temp material then, Hmm OK... could make for a nice affordable 1185 build.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

Yet another collaboration between engineering and marketing to control more of residual sales. If you sell a flashlight and most people only buy a couple of them a life time, and the only thing that really wears out/ gets replaced is the bulb... Make more expensive, highly specialized bulbs of which you are the only supplier. Pretty slick, huh?
    Yes, the american way...

It doesn't make a lot of sense for Maglite to switch to Bi-pin. I mean, they are switching to LED so why would they bother with Bi-pin? LED will be where they go in the future, (wether they like it or not), My local Lowes is switching to all LED Maglites and so is my local Wal-Mart. Once chains like this switch to LED, Maglite will have to give up the incan end of it. It just does not seem to make any sense why they would switch? I mean, I don't care as long as incan 2D maglites don't go up in price, as I only buy them to mod them. I will miss the incans when they are gone, cause they are the cheapest mod out there, but bi-pin? Huh...

Hahaha Re: Mag changed their incan bulb!

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    If its some kind of HIGH melting temp material then, Hmm OK... could make for a nice affordable 1185 build.
    Not likely, there would be no way D cell batteries can create any amount of heat where a conventional miniature bi-pin would warrant the need for a high temp ceramic socket... and especially not from Maglite.

Flashaholic*

Sorry for the late reply guys, I've been busy with work.

Quote Originally Posted by Illum View Post
    Given the dramatic in reduction in filament length its going to be much easier to collimate into a dot... but as seen on minimags I think flood mode is still going to look very crappy
    6D beam ~36"

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85...e/IMAG0298.jpg

NEW 4D beam ~36"

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85...e/IMAG0297.jpg

The odd "wing" is nowhere near as bad as it was with the original style PR bulbs, but it's still *slightly* there, which I attribute to the focus post tweaking the bulb pedestal slightly.

Flood is garbage, as usual for Mags.

Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    I'd melt it, but I'm probably gonna use it until it burns out, and upgrade it afterwards. Maybe when it burns out, I'll melt it for ya.

G4 pins aren't too difficult to find. They're also smaller, which means smaller packaging, and less storage space needed for the same amount of bulbs. It's actually a smart idea in a way.

well, the maglites at my Home Depot still uses PR lamps.

This one was from Amazon, and it was the "Display Box" version. $20 shipped with Prime.
    Mag 1D, 2DL, 3DL, 6D hotwire+extension... Fenix E15... Surefire Z2, E1e, 6P, U2 modded with T5 XM-L... Just to name a few

Quote Originally Posted by bstrickler View Post
    6D beam ~36"

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85...e/IMAG0298.jpg

NEW 4D beam ~36"

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85...e/IMAG0297.jpg

The odd "wing" is nowhere near as bad as it was with the original style PR bulbs, but it's still *slightly* there, which I attribute to the focus post tweaking the bulb pedestal slightly.

Is this Mag's version of a football beam?
    Slight increase in intensity is a good thing though

Flashaholic*

Is this Mag's version of a football beam?
    Slight increase in intensity is a good thing though
    Not quite sure what you mean (I just woke up), but you know how when the Mags were in "spot" mode, the beam wasnt totally round, there was a slight "tail", like a comet (simplest analogy I can think of)? That doesn't really exist anymore, in the 4D G4 pin version. The 6D is a slight "Asian eye", or "cats eye" look to the beam (to be more PC).

in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)

I could be mistaken, but it looks to me from the pics that Mag's motivation for designing this bi-pin socket holder was also to allow them to use a single switch with the same post for both LED and incan lights. It looks to me like the bi-pin socket rises higher out of the post than the LED module, so the incan reflector can be used, but the design of the post in the pics looks very much like the rebel/xpe LED Mag D posts. Can anyone confirm? (Not sure why I'd care though, I always cut the post off anyway, and it's not like there are good upgrade drop-ins for the LED post anyway.)

Flashaholic*

Are you suggesting that Mag is returning to the days of old where the only difference between their incan and their LED models was nothing more than a bulb or LED drop-in?

Quote Originally Posted by bstrickler View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean (I just woke up), but you know how when the Mags were in "spot" mode, the beam wasnt totally round, there was a slight "tail", like a comet (simplest analogy I can think of)? That doesn't really exist anymore, in the 4D G4 pin version. The 6D is a slight "Asian eye", or "cats eye" look to the beam (to be more PC).
    ahh, I understand now, haven't touched a real mag in years. I was just being sarcastic about the oval beam being closed to that of surefires, where the beam is not completely round but oval.

Are you suggesting that Mag is returning to the days of old where the only difference between their incan and their LED models was nothing more than a bulb or LED drop-in?
    Possible, I have heard of comments from nonflashaholics [using non-Maglite products] about how "irritating" cool white LEDs are when used outdoors as the tint washes out everything... its plausible to suggest Maglite intends to give their customers the freedom of using either or without the possibility of its customers using [non-proprietary] PR lamps
    Last edited by Illum; 06-09-2012 at 09:13 PM.

Flashaholic*

ahh, I understand now, haven't touched a real mag in years. I was just being sarcastic about the oval beam being closed to that of surefires, where the beam is not completely round but oval.

Possible, I have heard of comments from nonflashaholics [using non-Maglite products] about how "irritating" cool white LEDs are when used outdoors as the tint washes out everything... its plausible to suggest Maglite intends to give their customers the freedom of using either or without the possibility of its customers using [non-proprietary] PR lamps

I misread it as "football team", thats why i was confused.

None of my 4 incan Surefires have had an oval beam, but then again, they all ran P60 lamps.

Your second statement would make sense. Maybe they went to G4's, because they may be more efficient in general than PR bases? Or possibly in the quantities they buy, G4's are cheaper (far less metal in a G4 than a PR). I'm just guessing, because incans aren't my specialty.

What does this mean for my ROP host? What spares should I squirrel away in the attic? Entire last-generation PR host?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Chrontius View Post
    What does this mean for my ROP host? What spares should I squirrel away in the attic? Entire last-generation PR host?
    The new styles will work with the PR-base bulbs, if you bore out the retaining collar with a dremel or file.

in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)

Not quite. I assume that the reflectors are still different. I was merely suggesting that from a manufacturing standpoint, it's cheaper to manufacture one D series switch than two. If I'm right, you would be able to switch between LED and incan in the same host by swapping reflectors and bi-pin holder / LED module.

Now that I think more about it, the flute on the reflectors would have to be the same for both to operate the same focus mechanism, so, either I'm completely wrong, or the reflector has changed too.