Acebeam
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mag changed their incan bulb!

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Mag changed their incan bulb!

Quote Originally Posted by Techjunkie View Post
    Not quite. I assume that the reflectors are still different. I was merely suggesting that from a manufacturing standpoint, it's cheaper to manufacture one D series switch than two. If I'm right, you would be able to switch between LED and incan in the same host by swapping reflectors and bi-pin holder / LED module.

Now that I think more about it, the flute on the reflectors would have to be the same for both to operate the same focus mechanism, so, either I'm completely wrong, or the reflector has changed too.
    Reflector and switch towers are totally different.

Switch towers
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85...e/IMAG0303.jpg
    Mag 1D, 2DL, 3DL, 6D hotwire+extension... Fenix E15... Surefire Z2, E1e, 6P, U2 modded with T5 XM-L... Just to name a few

Flashaholic*

Not quite. I assume that the reflectors are still different. I was merely suggesting that from a manufacturing standpoint, it's cheaper to manufacture one D series switch than two. If I'm right, you would be able to switch between LED and incan in the same host by swapping reflectors and bi-pin holder / LED module.

Now that I think more about it, the flute on the reflectors would have to be the same for both to operate the same focus mechanism, so, either I'm completely wrong, or the reflector has changed too.
    You know, you might be onto something there. If Mag standardizes on the current MagLED flashlight as a model and just made a new pill piece that replaces the LED module and nothing else using those bi-pin bulbs then we would have come full circle with the classic MagLites. Ease of manufacturing and simplified inventory are both wins for any manufacturer.

in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)

Quote Originally Posted by bstrickler View Post
    Reflector and switch towers are totally different.

Switch towers
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85...e/IMAG0303.jpg
    I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by PCC View Post
    You know, you might be onto something there. If Mag standardizes on the current MagLED flashlight as a model and just made a new pill piece that replaces the LED module and nothing else using those bi-pin bulbs then we would have come full circle with the classic MagLites. Ease of manufacturing and simplified inventory are both wins for any manufacturer.
    bstrickler has debunked that theory with the pic linked to above.

If Maglite is commited to continuing to offer an incan version of their D-cell lights for those in the general public to whom LED lights are unappealing (and I infer from this development that they are), then I suppose that these are welcome changes, provided that the incan lights and replacement bulbs are as affordable and accessible as their predecessors. Personally, I gut and mod all the Mags I buy, so my Mag purchases will be based exclusively on price. I'm not holding my breath waiting for Maglite to release an empty host, DIY, kit version for $5 less than the incan version, so here's hoping that this improvement to the incan won't bump it's price up, or the only $15 Mag 2Ds to be had will be from home improvement giants between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Flashaholic*

bstrickler has debunked that theory with the pic linked to above.
    Yes, I know, but, if they want to they can easily drop their existing incandescent model line and replace it with a newer version that is based on the MagLED, but, with a bi-pin socket instead of the LED module as seen in bstrickler's photo.

Flashaholic*

If Maglite is commited to continuing to offer an incan version of their D-cell lights for those in the general public to whom LED lights are unappealing (and I infer from this development that they are), then I suppose that these are welcome changes, provided that the incan lights and replacement bulbs are as affordable and accessible as their predecessors. Personally, I gut and mod all the Mags I buy, so my Mag purchases will be based exclusively on price. I'm not holding my breath waiting for Maglite to release an empty host, DIY, kit version for $5 less than the incan version, so here's hoping that this improvement to the incan won't bump it's price up, or the only $15 Mag 2Ds to be had will be from home improvement giants between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
    I doubt it will raise the price at all, because of how cheap you can get G4 bulbs. Heck, you can get an LED G4 bi-pin low power LED bulb for cheap (or make your own). The "expensive" part would be the PR to G4 adapter. In the quantities they make them, I bet its under 10 cents for the bulb and adapter.
    Mag 1D, 2DL, 3DL, 6D hotwire+extension... Fenix E15... Surefire Z2, E1e, 6P, U2 modded with T5 XM-L... Just to name a few

Flashaholic*

Yes, I know, but, if they want to they can easily drop their existing incandescent model line and replace it with a newer version that is based on the MagLED, but, with a bi-pin socket instead of the LED module as seen in bstrickler's photo.

Now that you mention that, I think thats probably their plans. They are provbably using up their supply of incan towers, and are stockpiling adapters for their LED towers while using up the excess, so they only need one setup for making towers, and one for making incan adapters. Not very cost effeective to make 2 different towers, when one type will do.

Lightbulb Re: Mag changed their incan bulb!

This could mean all the new incan hosts are absurdly well-heat-sinked, as the LEDs would have to be.

While good heat-sinking is par for the course in LED builds, I've yet to see any incan build with the Elektrolumens one-pound copper slug for a heat sink (for example).

Unenlightened

Grinser2 Re: Mag changed their incan bulb!

The latest news / persuasive marketing analysis / solid high-tech information / solid high-tech information.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Illum View Post
    ehh... 4D lamp, so 6V... I have a hunch Marantz lamp part # IN1006301 6.3V 40MA Bi-Pin will fit
    I dont think that those lamps would be suitable for flashlights, in most circumstances.
    Note that the current is only 40ma, suggesting pilot or indicator lamps, not useful sources of illumination.

Presuming that the lamps fit, they would work but give an exceedingly dim light, Made dimmer still by being under run a bit.
    On alkaline D cells the battery run time would be 400 to 500 hours or several weeks of 24/7 operation.
    Possibly useful in some long term survival situation such as a fall out shelter. The minimal output would suffice in familiar suroundings with dark adapted eyes.

So, these bulbs are known as MagnumStar II and are (or will be) offered as a conversion kit for PR Mags, with a PR-bipin adapter:
    See http://flashlightsunlimited.com/magbulbs.htm
    Which raises two questions...

1. With a mica disk cut to fit (as used in the classic 1160 MagCharger upgrade), doesn't this make the 3xLi-ion Mag85 even more ridiculously easy than ever? Still need a metal reflector, but since Litho123 sells all of 1185+reflector+heatshield, it's a single order, and under $40. (Plus batteries to suit -- 26500s for 2D or 26650/32650 for 3D.) I could almost see this pushing the ROP right out of the market.

2. The Magnum Star II is a G4 (0.7mm pins, 4mm spacing) base -- but MR16s are GX5.3 (1.5mm pins, 5.3mm spacing). I wonder whether either the MSII PR-adapter or the speculated newstyle-LED-like version can be persuaded to accept these? If so, that's even easier, since they bring their own reflector and have minimal heat coming out the bottom...

OK, at least the PR-adapter looks unlikely -- I think the contacts are cylindrical rather than two flat springs -- but hard to say without one in hand. Still, wouldn't it be hilarious if Mag, with all their silly anti-mod stance, accidentally made 4-cell MR16 mods dead easy?

Quote Originally Posted by broadgage View Post
    I dont think that those lamps would be suitable for flashlights, in most circumstances.
    Well, no. you are correct. I was merely making a point that these lamps are not proprietary such that there are vendors marketing lamps having identical pin pitches The guy a couple posts before me thought Maglites made the change so that customers must buy from Mag Instruments simply because the lamps were proprietary

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    So, these bulbs are known as MagnumStar II and are (or will be) offered as a conversion kit for PR Mags, with a PR-bipin adapter:
    See http://flashlightsunlimited.com/magbulbs.htm
    Which raises two questions...

1. With a mica disk cut to fit (as used in the classic 1160 MagCharger upgrade), doesn't this make the 3xLi-ion Mag85 even more ridiculously easy than ever? Still need a metal reflector, but since Litho123 sells all of 1185+reflector+heatshield, it's a single order, and under $40. (Plus batteries to suit -- 26500s for 2D or 26650/32650 for 3D.) I could almost see this pushing the ROP right out of the market.
    Cue the cold sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    2. The Magnum Star II is a G4 (0.7mm pins, 4mm spacing) base -- but MR16s are GX5.3 (1.5mm pins, 5.3mm spacing). I wonder whether either the MSII PR-adapter or the speculated newstyle-LED-like version can be persuaded to accept these? If so, that's even easier, since they bring their own reflector and have minimal heat coming out the bottom...

OK, at least the PR-adapter looks unlikely -- I think the contacts are cylindrical rather than two flat springs -- but hard to say without one in hand. Still, wouldn't it be hilarious if Mag, with all their silly anti-mod stance, accidentally made 4-cell MR16 mods dead easy?
    Oh my, this won't be the Age of Aquarius, it will be the Age of Polaris. (Was that mod named after one of the Polaris rockets, or the star they were named after?)

Flashaholic

Well, no. you are correct. I was merely making a point that these lamps are not proprietary such that there are vendors marketing lamps having identical pin pitches The guy a couple posts before me thought Maglites made the change so that customers must buy from Mag Instruments simply because the lamps were proprietary
    Well, yes, and the vast majority of purchasers will buy replacement bulbs from Maglite. Mag Instuments does not care about a tiny, insignificant number of purchasers who are capable of finding appropriate bulbs with the proper pin configuration. PR bulbs are available everywhere, from various manufacturers/distributors. Try going to the local grocery store, Walmart, Target, Home depot, Lowes, etc. and finding the right bi-pin bulb, other than the one displayed conveniently beside the other Maglite products. Sorry, flashaholics don't count. Joe schmoe Maglite purchasers were who this flashlight was designed for. Not us. Mag Instruments will pull in in excess of five hundred million dollars this year. At any given time there are less than a hundred or so CPF'ers viewing "Incandescent flashlights", "Homemade and Modified Lights Discussion", etc. Get it now? My point wasn't weather an enterprising flashaholic with a vast fund of flashlight related knowledge could source a replacement bulb from somewhere else, but would the other 99 point whatever percent of Maglite purchasers even bother trying. Mag instruments already has the answer. Hence the new design. In this sense they are essentially proprietary. Mag Knows its customer base and it isn't us. They spend a ton of money making sure they market to their base. It's easy to get tunnel vision when you hang out on a flashlight forum.

Quest AKA "The Guy"

P.S. I wish I had a really cool nickname, like threadkiller. It Rocks!
    Last edited by Quest4fire; 06-30-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quest4fire View Post
    P.S. I wish I had a really cool nickname, like threadkiller. It Rocks!
    Beamhead put that there over a largely overblown dispute on cpfchat, to date I have not figured out how to take it off. It was added to my user name around the same time he discovered his crabs...

Flashaholic

Beamhead put that there over a largely overblown dispute on cpfchat, to date I have not figured out how to take it off. It was added to my user name around the same time he discovered his crabs...
    Oh yeah, I remember that thread. Just as funny today as it was back then!

Just checked the local home depot today, these "new" Maglites have not arrived yet

Wow, these have already invaded my Wally Worlds already. Some older PR based still remain, but these are getting replaced fast. I'll be sure to squirrel a few away before it is too late.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bstrickler View Post
    I just ordered a 4D mag to have cut down by Jesus, and look at what I found upon opening the package!

They now use a bi-pin bulb! Anyone know what size?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85...e/IMAG0285.jpg
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85...e/IMAG0290.jpg
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85...e/IMAG0291.jpg
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85...e/IMAG0293.jpg

Output rating is 72 lumens, and 10 hours.
    HOLY SHI........NGLES, Yes Shingles

Flashaholic*

of course it makes not much sense to just guess,
    but that bulb HOLDER benson linked in post #40 seems to be from the same material the holders of 12 V Bi-Pins are made

means: burn that thing, it will not melt

--> 3D w. rechargeables and Stinger bulb, or something like this ...

Quote Originally Posted by yellow View Post
    3D w. rechargeables and Stinger bulb, or something like this ...
    Stinger and Strion bulbs are not G4 and won't fit in mentioned bi-pin bulb holder.
    You can possibly use G4 M*gCharger bulb with 5 NiMH "C" cells in 4D M*g or overdrive same bulb in 2D M*g and 2x18650

It dosn't look to be a G4 bulb. I tried it, the pins are way too close to be G4.

Just picked up the retrofit 2-c-d kit at Lowes,under $3.00.

Has anyone seen the retrofit kit for 3-cell maglites yet?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
    Has anyone seen the retrofit kit for 3-cell maglites yet?
    or the bulbs for 4d?
    might be great replacements for the doublebarrels.

i am always looking for old radios and tv sets.tube stuff.ham gear.i repair all the above.
    email me for more info. SPAMMERS WILL BE PUNISHED!

Flashaholic*

While doing a search for the specifications for the Minimag bulbs I found a website that sells the MagnumStar II bulbs for two, three, four, five, and six cell MagLites. The MagnumStar bulbs for the six cell Mag is rated at 178 lumens.

While doing a search for the specifications for the Minimag bulbs I found a website that sells the MagnumStar II bulbs for two, three, four, five, and six cell MagLites. The MagnumStar bulbs for the six cell Mag is rated at 178 lumens.
    Do they actually have the ones for 3 cells available? I also found a website, but it says that they will start being available next year...

Flashaholic*

Looking at the site I found again, all of the bulbs except the 3-cell are available now. The 3-cell is expected Q1 of 2013.

Looking at the site I found again, all of the bulbs except the 3-cell are available now. The 3-cell is expected Q1 of 2013.
    Thanks, thats what I thought. I've been to that site, they have all the older bulbs too...

I just stuffed a 2 cell bulb into a 2AA minimag with no modification save boring the reflector out. Drawing .76A off two mostly charged NiMH's this is a pretty nice improvement over the regular bulbs. This would be exciting with a 6 cell and a couple 14500s!

Overall I'm pleased with the new offerings. They are much easier to center too because one can just noodge the bulb instead of bending a PR base.

Is the larger bulb able to be focused at all by the minimag reflector? I agree, I'd really like to do this with a 6 cell bulb as well, but I would be concerned that the added heat would melt the plastic reflector... can you (or anyone else) weigh in on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Admiralgrey View Post
    I just stuffed a 2 cell bulb into a 2AA minimag with no modification save boring the reflector out. Drawing .76A off two mostly charged NiMH's this is a pretty nice improvement over the regular bulbs. This would be exciting with a 6 cell and a couple 14500s!

Overall I'm pleased with the new offerings. They are much easier to center too because one can just noodge the bulb instead of bending a PR base.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast