Is anybody able to buy some of the Philips L-Prize bulbs for me at the subsidized $$?

ratsbew

Newly Enlightened
Bump. I'm wanting to give some to my cousin for her wedding gift.

ratsbew

Newly Enlightened
Last bump, the wedding is in 4 weeks. If nobody can help I'll have to get some Utilitech bulbs.

Laszlo

Newly Enlightened
This is the bulb I'm looking for: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?334754-Philips-Award-Winning-LED-Bulb-Review

It is $60 unsubsidized but should be about $22 with utility company subsidy.

I am also interested in buying discounted L-Prize bulbs, wherever they can be found. I've called all my local Home Depots' lighting departments in three states, and have always come up empty. They don't even have it in their systems. I've called in February (when the bulb first appeared for sale online), April (the official Earth Day consumer "launch"), and a third time in June. The widely reported utility rebates for these bulbs is proving elusive to non-existent. Are there any L-Prize bulbs actually on store shelves?

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
I've haven't seen the 10w L-prize bulb on any store shelves, only online for $60.

Either they can't make them fast enough, or they're not trying to.

The earlier 8w/12w/17w bulbs are what I can find at HomeDepot. I'm surprised that Philips hasn't updated the rest of the line. Why sell obsolete bulbs when they've been bragging about the fancy L-prize bulb for months now? Philips fail!!!

ratsbew

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, it's a shame. These things were supposed to be $20 according to the rules of the government competition they won (they won millions of tax payer dollars).

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Yeah, it's a shame. These things were supposed to be $20 according to the rules of the government competition they won (they won millions of tax payer dollars).

Development costs were rumored to be well in excess of the L-Prize award ... but I agree it's curious they're not promoting/selling them widely.

Laszlo

Newly Enlightened
I've haven't seen the 10w L-prize bulb on any store shelves, only online for $60.
I just called Philips Lighting USA at 1-800-555-0050 to get an answer on where these things can be found. The representative was not helpful at all, simply telling me to to "try Home Depot--they're our largest distributor, and if it's on their website, you should be able to special order at the store". She did not understand that availability at homedepot.com did not result in any actual ability to buy in stores. I asked her to identify any specific store or state that had them for sale at B&M stores and she could not.

ratsbew

Newly Enlightened
This is kind of crazy. Maybe someone should contact their congressman and complain about awarding $10M to Philips and them not holding up the terms of the prize.

skyled

Newly Enlightened
This is kind of crazy. Maybe someone should contact their congressman and complain about awarding $10M to Philips and them not holding up the terms of the prize.

I definitely saw them in Home Depot for sale but I believe it was at some crazy price like $50

BLH

Newly Enlightened
I have found that the typical price is $49.95 for the LPrize Bulb.
Amazon and Home Depot both list them.
My Power Company {CL&P} has a $10.00 incentive. I got one for $39.95 to evaluate it.
A friend indicated that RI and MA have a $24.95 incentive and they pay $25.00 for theirs.
I am not impressed with my LPrize bulb and like the 12.5W EnduraLED bulb. When used with home automation devices.

Laszlo

Newly Enlightened
A friend indicated that RI and MA have a $24.95 incentive and they pay $25.00 for theirs.
I am not impressed with my LPrize bulb and like the 12.5W EnduraLED bulb.
At least some people are getting decent rebates. I'll ask my brother to buy a bundle when he next passes through MA. And if anybody wants to easily check on inventory for your local Home Depots, go to http://sd.site88.net/homedepot.html and enter the SKU #643430.

Amazon has them listed for $39.49 now too, but I bought one to evaluate when it was $50. Can't say I'm blown away by the differences--more of an incremental update. With CRI in particular I'd expected a much more visible difference going from 80/100 to 94/100. While LEDs have won over almost everyone in my house, there's still one lighting snob that insists on using halogens because of CRI complaints. I will be upgrading though for the increased brightness. The 805lm AmbientLEDs are too dim for my taste.

BLH

Newly Enlightened
I found a copy of the LPrize-Revision1.pdf file. Published June 26,2009 Modified July 9,2009
It shows a suggested Target Consumer Retail Price Chart.
The $22.00 could include power company and retailer incentives. Along with other factors.
It was not a requirement.

brickbat

Enlightened
I found a copy of the LPrize-Revision1.pdf file. Published June 26,2009 Modified July 9,2009
It was not a requirement.

That's what I thought. I saw where $22 was included in an example of how the target pricing info was to be presented. $22 was not a requirement.

Get your facts straight before writing your congressman ;)

slebans

Enlightened
When I read the original contest specs. a selling cost of $22 was a requirement.
Here's a clip from a recent Philips Press Release concerning negative feedback from the $50 retail price.

"The ultimate price – versus the MSRP – of the L Prize bulb will arrive through a partnership between the manufacturer and utility partners across the country. The target price of $22, as originally outlined in the competition parameters, will be achieved through utility rebates of up to $30 through in-store purchases once the L Prize bulb is available to consumers next month

easytim

Newly Enlightened
I have found that the typical price is $49.95 for the LPrize Bulb.
Amazon and Home Depot both list them.
My Power Company {CL&P} has a $10.00 incentive. I got one for $39.95 to evaluate it.
I am not impressed with my LPrize bulb and like the 12.5W EnduraLED bulb. When used with home automation devices.

What problems are you having with Home Automation? Does it flicker with Home automation using a Insteon dimmer

Last edited:

BLH

Newly Enlightened
I tested them with a few different protocol devices.

The Insteon devices where fine with them.

The early 2000 X10 series Smarthome LampLincs needed Local Control disabled or they turned back On.

Soft Start X10 LM465 Lamp modules where the problem. They pulsed at full On. One step back in dimming and they stopped pulsing.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started seeing these bulbs at the Home Depots in Santee and Escondido, California. The ones in Santee were 93 lumens/watt and 930 lumens. The ones in Escondido were 94 lumens/watt and 940 lumens. Cost was $40 in both locations. Still waiting for the cost to come down to buy one. By then, I bet they'll at least hit the 100 lumen/watt mark. Honestly, unless these are at least double the efficiency of a compact CFL, at $40 a bulb, the increase in price likely won't be offset by the energy savings. They often say how much you will save versus a standard bulb. I think it was over $120 for the life of this l.e.d. bulb. Versus a florescent bulb, I doubt you'll even save $39 versus a $1 CFL. If the efficiency increases to 110+ lumens/watt and these 10 lumen bulbs can start replacing 75 watt equivalent (18 watt) CFLs, I think they might be worth the cost. However, right now I'd rather see a huge drop in initial investment (cost of the bulbs reduced) versus a small increase in efficiency to justify the high cost (higher investment and more savings over time).