• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

2 X CR123 McClicky Pak work with AW17670?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone with a 2 X CR123 McClicky tube able to test if the protected AW17670 could fit in there? I have some spare AW17670 batteries bought for the HDS which hardly see any use and I am thinking of running it on the Haiku high CRI. Since Don is primarily a CR123 guy, I am not sure if emailing him would yield any results? So I am hoping there will be some guys here who coincidentally have a 2 X CR123 tube and AW17670 be kind enough to try it out?

Thanks!
Andy

jag808808

Enlightened
Aloha Andy! :wave:

Anyone with a 2 X CR123 McClicky tube able to test if the protected AW17670 could fit in there? I have some spare AW17670 batteries bought for the HDS which hardly see any use and I am thinking of running it on the Haiku high CRI. Since Don is primarily a CR123 guy, I am not sure if emailing him would yield any results? So I am hoping there will be some guys here who coincidentally have a 2 X CR123 tube and AW17670 be kind enough to try it out?

Thanks!
Andy

In my experience, if the body can fit two cr123s, it can fit a 17670. :grin2: If the light engine is a 6V, it "should" work but at diminished output. I hope this helps!

Aloha,

jag

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Jag,

Aloha! Thanks for the reply. Personally I am not too sure about that. I have a couple of 2 X 123 Quark lights that wouldn't fit a 17670 in there although it should based on many user reports, hence this post. I couldn't even fit one into the Surefire E2DL and A2 aviator. I am thinking if I should just take the risk and order one from Don, and if it doesn't fit, it would just become a white elephant at home. A $240 white elephant that is. I am thinking that maybe I should just go ahead with a 2xAA tube even though I don't quite like the extra length?

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you search around these halls, there was someone who did a test and there was some pictures showing 17670 that can fit into the 2x123 battery tube. However mods were required, and sometimes as simple as just removing the silver sticker and your good.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks bro. I will do a search although I am not sure where to start with the keywords.

Was in KL a couple of months back with my friend. Should have remembered to ask you out since my friend is a flashaholic too.

Last edited:

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I put my 6v head on my 1x123 pack with a AW RCR123 I don't notice diminished output. Not saying it isn't but if so it's minute. I would like to also figure out what 17670's work for sure. Would save me from burning through my primary stock.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think you misunderstood what I am saying but maybe because I did not specify? I don't have the 6V head. I am just thinking of running a 17670 using the 2 x CR123 tube on a 3s high CRI Haiku head. More for the runtime's sake. I am still thinking if I should take the risk to other the body tube.

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have done this many times with a lot of AW's 17670 cells and Haiku, Mule, SunDrop and Makai heads. Some cells fit tighter than others, but all will need to have the stickers removed. There was one person I remember that had troubles, but I think he was afraid to get it stuck inside the tube. I just give it a good smack on my knee to free up a tight cell.

I have a few non-protected cells that won't fit. They have higher rated mah rating than the AW's.

As far as the 6V head and one 17670 cells, they work for a while but when the voltage starts to drop you will lose the high output. The light will still switch between three modes, but high and the middle setting will be about the same output.

If you are worried send Don a 17670 cell with the sticker removed and have him try it for fit in a few tubes.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got 2 2-pak mcclickys - AW17670s will just fit in mine. Silver labels need to come off. In order to remove cell I need to swing holding the open end in my hand in order to get cell to start to be removed. I had a trustfire 17670 - too fat.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you guys.

From all the replies here, I gather that the tube is a little tight for use with 17670 since you must remove the sticker before using it. Not sure if I would face any problems removing the battery after running it for long and when expansion of the battery has taken place in the tube due to the heat?

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two 17670 AW protected batteries (FWIW flat button, black heat shrink) that fit with no issue in my 2x123 pak.