Help me choosing my two next mods!

Stephane_A

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Now that my first trial with a led modification is almost finished and quite successful, I have two more lamps to mod but I hesitate between several solutions.
I have a Dive-Rite MR11 head (35mm inside diameter, switch on battery canister) and a Metalsub Halogen head.

For the MR11 head:
- a XML-U2 with a narrow beam optics (Gaggione LLS05 13°) and a big 18650 pack: 2S5P.
- a triple XML-U2 with a 19° optics and a 4S2P 18650 pack.
A Taskled B3Flex driver will be used and if I can I will build a plastic crown with a magnet inside to be able to emulate a switch (an ILS or hall sensor or a HallSW driver)
I can't put more than 10 18650 batteries in that canister.

For the Metalsub head (powered by a 12v 10Ah NiMh battery pack):
- a triple XML-U2 module with a wide beam to use it as a video lamp. Question is: will a buck driver be efficient?
- a 7 XML-U2 module with a diffuer to use it as a video lamp. A boost (HBflex) driver is mandatory).

I have a Metalsub HID24 primary lamp and I dive in quarries most of the time but I also do some cave diving.

So, what would be your choice?

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question is: will a buck driver be efficient?

Yes, as a generalization, buck drivers are the most efficient type. There are always exceptions for specific cases, but you should be able to get an efficient driver for that setup.

You will have to pay attention to the overhead required by the driver. You're going to want to operate right down to zero overhead; some drivers can do that (or at least very close), some can't.