PK Design Lab
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 135

Thread: Final edition three stage Aeon

  1. #31
    Flashaholic* mossyoak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhone in the other
    Posts
    3,107

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    The XRE in the Aeon is quite excellent, with three speeds and a ti case that wont show wear, this is the perfect send off. I'm down. I'd like to see a ETA though.
    And Teeming With Souls Shall It Ever Be.
    NOTICE: I'm a guy. Im to poor to buy cheap.
    Aeon- Smaller, Brighter, Better...

  2. #32
    *Flashaholic* fyrstormer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern VA, USA
    Posts
    5,658

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    A 3-mode Aeon sounds good, but personally I'd prefer the three settings to be spaced so the high mode is a bit higher than the 2-speed, and the low mode is a bit lower than the 2-speed. I don't really have any use for less than 1 lumen in my daily life.

  3. #33
    Flashaholic exquzmwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    379

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    A 3-mode Aeon sounds good, but personally I'd prefer the three settings to be spaced so the high mode is a bit higher than the 2-speed, and the low mode is a bit lower than the 2-speed. I don't really have any use for less than 1 lumen in my daily life.
    Agreed!

  4. #34

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    Democracy can get messy. I can't agree. Ultra-low is what I use most often, and if I had this on my keys, I might leave the HDS at home now and then. Personally, I think ultra-low would transform the Aeon from a great keychain/backup light to a near-perfect EDC light.
    The best weapon in the world is a flashlight. . . . Why? . . . So you can look deep into the other guy's eyes.

  5. #35
    *Flashaholic* fyrstormer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern VA, USA
    Posts
    5,658

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    So I think we can all agree that the final-edition Aeon needs to have infinite brightness ramping.

  6. #36
    Flashaholic* karlheinz3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    (Cedar Point on Lake Erie) Huron, Ohio
    Posts
    1,339

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    I'm in...
    Karl H. Riedel III. Realtor and a WHOLE lot more!

  7. #37
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    1,486

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    Gottawearshades got it right in that 'democracy can be messy'. The three stages (or levels, modes, settings; this is decidedly not a bicycle. ) will be spaced in a reasonable manner that's practical - past that there's not much that I can say. Beamshots and details therein will be posted once this actually comes to fruition and well before the run happens.

    mossyoak: ETA will be determined before the run happens, it's too early to make any estimates right now, but all those sorts of details will be available before the run commences.

    bmstrong: The Aeon is knurled and that's a major feature of the light. It will very likely be CP2 in order to maintain that.

    Thanks folks.

    Enrique

  8. #38
    *Flashaholic* fyrstormer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern VA, USA
    Posts
    5,658

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    Nor is it a theater, circus, videogame, or rally race. I think "modes" is the winner.

  9. #39
    Flashaholic OtisCampbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    301

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    Quote Originally Posted by gottawearshades View Post
    Democracy can get messy. I can't agree. Ultra-low is what I use most often [...]
    Agreed on the Ultra-low.. if it's bright enough to wake up my GF while I'm creeping into the bedroom then it's right out..

  10. #40

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    I like ultralow too. Would be in pending driver behavior.

    Would the infinite ramping mentioned earlier, be possible? QTC?

    And if not, will it be like the old 2-stage twisty, but with three stages (I would abhor a Fenix-style twist-on-twist-offy).

  11. #41
    Flashaholic* Carpe Diem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,328

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    I`m in.

    Proud custodian of Tvodrd`s works of art; Peter`s Arc`s and Brass Arc AAA; Mike Jordan`s gems; some really great lights from Enrique, Fred and Tain ....and *several* of Don`s mods, Ti`s and McLux masterpieces.

  12. #42
    *Flashaholic* nbp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,269

    Default

    Edited cuz im a doofus and was looking in the wrong thread.
    Last edited by nbp; 06-16-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

  13. #43
    Flashaholic sassaquin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Concord, Massachusetts
    Posts
    432

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    Quote Originally Posted by mcmc View Post
    I like ultralow too. Would be in pending driver behavior.

    Would the infinite ramping mentioned earlier, be possible? QTC?

    And if not, will it be like the old 2-stage twisty, but with three stages (I would abhor a Fenix-style twist-on-twist-offy).
    The two level Aeon's UI is perfect, twist for low, twist more for high. Hopefully, the three level UI will be similar. Once you use an Aeon, most other UIs seem overly complicated and clumsy.

    My aluminum Aeon (neutral LED) and Mako Flood are by far the best designed, highest quality and most treasured lights I own.

    Almost forgot...I'm in.
    Last edited by sassaquin; 06-15-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Express interest

  14. #44
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Posts
    78

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    I'd like to be in
    ben

  15. #45
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    1,486

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    The three stage design will be like what I designed for the Aeon, just with another stage. It's a pretty nice, intuitive UI and I don't plan to stray from it. I do not like multiple on-off cycles to change modes like what most people use in some form or another - the interface proper is a bit kludgy for my tastes, and moreover, the implementations I've seen to date using microcontrollers tend to be fairly inefficient with their use of energy (which matters when you have tiny batteries).

    All the best,

    Enrique

  16. #46
    Flashaholic* RedLed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Beverly Hills, Palm Springs, Seattle
    Posts
    1,301

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    I will take one. Please accept this as my notification as I am not signed up on EDC.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

  17. #47
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    361

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    Quote Originally Posted by RedLed View Post
    I will take one. Please accept this as my notification as I am not signed up on EDC.
    You don't need to sign up on Tony's blog, you can use whatever name you choose from the pull down menu.

  18. #48
    Flashaholic* F250XLT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I can see the Windmills...
    Posts
    2,144

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    I'm finding it hard to believe that an emitter upgrade would put you back to the drawing board, but what do I know.
    "I am not a Collector" - Tim

  19. #49
    *Flashaholic* fyrstormer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern VA, USA
    Posts
    5,658

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    Quote Originally Posted by F250XLT View Post
    I'm finding it hard to believe that an emitter upgrade would put you back to the drawing board, but what do I know.
    Only if he wants all the parts to be perfectly matched for each other, which he does.

  20. #50
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    1,486

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    F250XLT: Well, you're entitled to think whatever you'd like - I already made my position on the matter clear. This is not an "Aeon Mk. II" nor was it intended to be. I am out of stock on Aeons at this point and this is a request made by the OP and interested parties for a last batch before the line is closed out. If there's sufficient interest it will happen, and if there isn't, then it won't - simple as that.

    Enrique

  21. #51
    Flashaholic* F250XLT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I can see the Windmills...
    Posts
    2,144

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    Only if he wants all the parts to be perfectly matched for each other, which he does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endeavour View Post
    F250XLT: Well, you're entitled to think whatever you'd like - I already made my position on the matter clear. This is not an "Aeon Mk. II" nor was it intended to be. I am out of stock on Aeons at this point and this is a request made by the OP and interested parties for a last batch before the line is closed out. If there's sufficient interest it will happen, and if there isn't, then it won't - simple as that.

    Enrique

    Perhaps you guys can enlighten me as to what makes the Aeon so different from most other lights...Just about every other light on the market can get a simple emitter upgrade without further modification, why is it so difficult in this case? Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand.
    "I am not a Collector" - Tim

  22. #52
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Osaka, Japan
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    Here's my understanding...

    First, it's not a matter of whether an upgrade is physically possible or not, or something that makes the Aeon different, Enrique has already made it clear that he will not be upgrading the emitter for this next run, if it happens.

    Second, although an emitter upgrade would be technically "possible", factors like die size & efficiency vary among different emitters, and a good light will have a reflector that is perfectly matched for the unique character of its emitter. The current Aeon reflector is perfectly matched for the XR-E, and merely swapping the emitter would likely result in loss of beam quality. As such, changing the emitter would likely require re-matching or redesigning a reflector in order to achieve the high quality standard that Enrique's products are known for. Some manufacturers or modders ignore these issues and often have the "newer is better" mentality, but I am of the belief there is more to a good light than it's lumen output.

  23. #53

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    ^^ that I fully agreed!!!
    WTB --> any vintage, cross-hair logo Surefire, SW01 tailcap; Ku's SWM V-series 18500 tubes; PM me if you have a SPY007 XM-L2 SWGG for trade!


  24. #54
    Flashaholic* F250XLT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I can see the Windmills...
    Posts
    2,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamaremon View Post
    Here's my understanding...

    First, it's not a matter of whether an upgrade is physically possible or not, or something that makes the Aeon different, Enrique has already made it clear that he will not be upgrading the emitter for this next run, if it happens.

    Second, although an emitter upgrade would be technically "possible", factors like die size & efficiency vary among different emitters, and a good light will have a reflector that is perfectly matched for the unique character of its emitter. The current Aeon reflector is perfectly matched for the XR-E, and merely swapping the emitter would likely result in loss of beam quality. As such, changing the emitter would likely require re-matching or redesigning a reflector in order to achieve the high quality standard that Enrique's products are known for. Some manufacturers or modders ignore these issues and often have the "newer is better" mentality, but I am of the belief there is more to a good light than it's lumen output.
    So you are saying the outdated emitter offered here, would be better than simply upgrading? You really think the Aeon reflector is so unique, that not newer emitter would work properly? I'd bet money they someone has done a simple emitter swap in the past, that has worked out fantastic.
    "I am not a Collector" - Tim

  25. #55
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    1,486

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    F250XLT: Different LEDs have different package sizes, and different focal points. The reflector that is already designed and works with the Aeon as it was designed will not work with any other LED without substantial modification, both of the reflector, and its housing. Modifying the reflector would be a waste, anyway, since it's a hackjob and if I were to go through that kind of trouble I may as well design a completely new one to start with for whatever LED was chosen, and further completely redesign the head, and at that point, it's not an Aeon anymore.

    I think it has been abundantly clear that this thread is about the possibility of a last batch of Aeons; If such a light doesn't meet your wants, that's fine, but that's not really the point of this thread, and I am not interested in belaboring this any further. If you want something different from an Aeon you will have to look elsewhere.

    Enrique
    Last edited by Endeavour; 06-17-2012 at 08:23 PM.

  26. #56
    Flashaholic* F250XLT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I can see the Windmills...
    Posts
    2,144

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    Quote Originally Posted by Endeavour View Post
    F250XLT: Different LEDs have different package sizes, and different focal points. The reflector that is already designed and works with the Aeon as it was designed will not work with any other LED without substantial modification, both of the reflector, and its housing. Modifying the reflector would be a waste, anyway, since it's a hackjob and if I were to go through that kind of trouble I may as well design a completely new one to start with for whatever LED was chosen, and further completely redesign the head, and at that point, it's not an Aeon anymore.

    I think it has been abundantly clear that this thread is about the possibility of a last batch of Aeons; If such a light doesn't meet your wants, that's fine, but that's not really the point of this thread, and I am not interested in belaboring this any further. If you want something different from an Aeon you will have to look elsewhere.

    Enrique
    Awesome, I applaud you for designing a reflect like no other. Again, I wasn't trying to be difficult, just trying to understand why the Aeon is one of the only lights ever produced that cannot survive an LED upgrade. I love your work, and look forward to your future offerings.
    "I am not a Collector" - Tim

  27. #57
    *Flashaholic* fyrstormer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Northern VA, USA
    Posts
    5,658

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    The XR-E emitter has a different beam pattern than pretty much every other LED made before or since. The only other outlier like that is the Luxeon "Joker". So yes, replacing the XR-E emitter would require a different reflector to ensure a good beam pattern, as opposed to just producing a good beam pattern by luck.

    Most likely a newer emitter would produce a fine beam with the current reflector, if positioned correctly. In fact, there are people who have modded their Aeons and Nautili with newer emitters and by all accounts are pleased with the results. However, Muyshondt has made it pretty clear in the past that a design isn't "done right" in his opinion until he has thought about, planned, and tweaked every last aspect of it, so I doubt anyone could talk him into just swapping out one part and not worrying about what might happen. Even a slight difference in forward voltage would have some effect on the light's operation, and he wants to account for it.

    BTW, I'm pretty sure the Nautilus reflector is a McR17-XR, and the Aeon reflector is a cut-down version of the same. If there are any differences, they are extremely minor as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 06-17-2012 at 10:12 PM.

  28. #58
    Flashaholic* F250XLT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I can see the Windmills...
    Posts
    2,144

    Default

    Thank you for the detailed info, much appreciated.
    "I am not a Collector" - Tim

  29. #59

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    I'm in (and also posted on the other site).
    --------------------
    He is the light!

  30. #60

    Default Re: Final edition three stage Aeon

    I'm in for one.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •