New Maglite Switch Assembly

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
Picked up a pewter 2D and was surprised to see silver (aluminum?) when I removed the lamp (bulb) instead of the gold (copper?) color I'd seen all my life. The back of the switch, where it makes battery contact, was different also.

The only information I could find, which I think was about the new switch, was a thread discussing a change in the set screw. See http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ag-D-switch&highlight=maglite+switch+assembly

Any opinions as to the quality of this new switch? Especially as it relates to running a Malkoff dropin? But any opinions about the function and durability of this change in switch assembly will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

I see there is a thread about a change in the lamp, so there may be an even newer switch that I know nothing about. The switch I'm referencing still takes the lamp that is held in with a retainer that screws on to the switch assembly.

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
While my question pertains to the Maglite switch change, the topic of this thread is about the set screw and how to remove it. My question is not related to how to remove the new switch assembly. My question relates to the apparent change in materials and its effect on quality. I read every post in this thread and even referenced said thread in my post. I found no information comparing or contrasting the different switches, other than how to remove the newer set screw. After reading 6 pages of posts that span 2 years and not finding an answer to my question, I considered it reasonable to ask a new question.

Regardless, I'm just curious about opinions of the new switch itself from those who have used them. I can certainly understand the aggravation of those who want to remove the switch entirely. And if the majority of opinion is that the older switch is better, I will certainly use the information if I decide to remove this switch.

I realize that not being a modder myself, this may be a rather banal question. However, I'm simply seeking the advice of those who have used the new switch and what they think of it. So far, all I know about this new switch is that Maglite chose to make it more difficult to remove. Or possibly this sub-forum is more esoteric and most who post here would remove the stock switch regardless of which particular switch it was.

But if anyone has an opinion regarding the switch change that is not related to the set screw issue, I would really like to hear it. Truthfully, except for the set screw, I just want to know if the new switch is the same, better, or worse than the old switch. Thanks.

bstrickler

Enlightened
While my question pertains to the Maglite switch change, the topic of this thread is about the set screw and how to remove it. My question is not related to how to remove the new switch assembly. My question relates to the apparent change in materials and its effect on quality. I read every post in this thread and even referenced said thread in my post. I found no information comparing or contrasting the different switches, other than how to remove the newer set screw. After reading 6 pages of posts that span 2 years and not finding an answer to my question, I considered it reasonable to ask a new question.

Regardless, I'm just curious about opinions of the new switch itself from those who have used them. I can certainly understand the aggravation of those who want to remove the switch entirely. And if the majority of opinion is that the older switch is better, I will certainly use the information if I decide to remove this switch.

I realize that not being a modder myself, this may be a rather banal question. However, I'm simply seeking the advice of those who have used the new switch and what they think of it. So far, all I know about this new switch is that Maglite chose to make it more difficult to remove. Or possibly this sub-forum is more esoteric and most who post here would remove the stock switch regardless of which particular switch it was.

But if anyone has an opinion regarding the switch change that is not related to the set screw issue, I would really like to hear it. Truthfully, except for the set screw, I just want to know if the new switch is the same, better, or worse than the old switch. Thanks.

As far as I can tell, the "new" switch works just like the "old" one. I had a 3D or 4D ages ago, and it looks the same as the new new ones (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?339285-Mag-changed-their-incan-bulb!), other than that the very new ones use G4 bi-pin bulbs, and a different sized collar (still compatible with the regular mag, other than needing to be bored out some, to accept PR bulbs)

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
Functionally the switches are the same. I suppose without removing the newer switch and taking it apart, it's difficult to make comparisons to the older switch. From what I can see, there doesn't appear to be any improvements. Probably just a cost cutting measure by using less expensive materials and production met

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought and installed a new switch in an old 2D Maglite. It works fine. There were some differences... like the battery connection on the back of the switch, but I've had no problems with it. I use it in an ROP high with 2 18650 IMR batteries.

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. Maybe it's just a change from copper to aluminum. If that's what material it was and now is respectively. :thinking: