Got some batteries need some info...

alastorx

Newly Enlightened
alright so i'm new to the forum and to higher end flashlights, so i ordered my first flashlight not to long ago and my friend gave me some cells he had in his shop, not really sure what they are or if they will work with my flash light i bought (it takes 18650) so i took a pic of them beside a AA for comparison,
[FONT=arial, sans-serif][/FONT]
only thing on them is this
IL 9EJT3
any info at all would be awesome guys, thanks ahead!
P6100676Small.jpg

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Alastorx,

Welcome to CPF.

At first glance they look like 18650 Li-Ion cells with the insulating shrink wrap removed.

You want to replace the shrink wrap before using them, but did you happen to check their voltages?

Tom

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, they definitely look like "pulls". The shrink wrap was likely damaged during the "pulling" process. I would shrink wrap them, but as Tom said, you really need to take a voltage reading before you look into doing that. They may not be worth the trouble.

Dave

alastorx

Newly Enlightened
hey guys thanks for the reply's, how would be the best way to test voltage? multimeter? :thinking:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
A voltmeter would work fine, and better would be a Digital Multimeter, called a DMM, which is a meter that you can use to full advantage as you become more of a flashaholic. LOL. Do not use those 18650's, as pictured, with out covering them with shrink wrap, or any non electrical conductive covering, and at the very least, scotch tape. Report back your voltage reading findings before you continue forward.

Bill

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, electrical insulation. This is of particular importance when using multiple cells in series. In this situation, it is possible for cells within the "string" to short out against the light body. In single cell applications, it may not be so important, however it is possible with lights that utilize a tail switch, that the light will always be "on". This can occur if the body of the cell, shorts out against the battery tube.

There are other possibilities as well. It is always best to make sure that the shrink wrap of cylindrical cells is in good condition, without any scraps, tears, and such.

Dave

neonnoun

Newly Enlightened
I'll bet those came out of some power tool battery (cordless drill) because they don't work well anymore. I wouldn't hold your breath that they're of much value...

We can't see the tops very well, but I wonder if they have tabs soldered on them.

tandem

Enlightened
Pulled cells from an unknown source that have no protection circuit nor shrink wrap and a user that doesn't appear to know electricity basics and is new to higher end flashlights? This is a fire risk or explosion or maiming in the making.

Toss the cells.

Buy a decent protected cell from a reputable seller.