please recommend me a nice 18650 battery

MT7

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,
I want to buy for me my first flashlight which runs on lithium cells- the T40CS. (all my current flashlights run on AA or AAA)
I very scare from the risk of explodion,but I am not have enough money to buy a AW battery,my max budget for 2 batteries is 25$
I need a 2600MAH battery (in sunwayman website,they said the flashlight uses 2600mah cells) and I need a battery with a diamater and size which can fit to the T40CS
I want to buy protected batteries,because I don't want the flashlight to explode... I saw some brands,can you say me-are they good for me and for the T40CS?
1.ultrafire 3.7V protected 18650 2600MAH (red)-the price is very low,but what is the build quality? and what about the protection? isn't it stop working after several recharges?
2.JetBeam 3.7V protected 2300MAH-the price is nice,the company is a well known company,but it's 2300MAH and not 2600mah? is it fine to use 2300mah cells on the T40CS? what will it cause the flashlight?
3.trustfire 3.7 protected 18650 2600MAH (''3000MAH'')-same as ultrafire,very low price,but I am not sure if the battery has enough protectoin,and isn't it stop working after several recharges?
so which is the best battery? (price,size and diameter,build quality,protection,life time-how many recharges until the battery stop workin etc.)
is there any other battery brand that fit my requirements? (price,size and diameter,build quality,protection,life time-how many recharges until the battery stop workin etc.)
thanks advance...

Shadowww

Banned
The reference to 2600mAh means that they did their runtime tests using a 2600mAh batteries, you can use any capacity batteries with that light.
Out of those 3, 1st and last are not good at all, and 2nd option isn't the best - but you can get pair of Keeppower 3100mAh cells for $23 (or even $21 if you use Make Offer feature) on eBay.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW, Redilast, & Callie's Kustom are my favorite 18650. Xtar makes a new 188650 in Japan. Looks interesting, but I've not tried one.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always recomend unprotected batteries because the size and guarantees that they can be used to maximum, so;

Pair of unprotected 3100mah panasonic batteries for $17.71 shipped from USA ebay item 330634383068 the discount finish in one day

If you want something cheap and good;

Panasonic 18650 2550mah ebay Item number: 270967240471 4,95$ shipped from the states.

Or something realy good;

1 piece of Panasonic NCR 18650 3400mAh Li-on unprotected battery in cnqualitygoods $12

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind a shorter runtime, the AW IMR cells will work. No explosions and they are cheap. No protection circuit needed. I use them in my multicell lights.

moderator007

Enlightened
AW, Redilast, & Callie's Kustom are my favorite 18650. Xtar makes a new 188650 in Japan. Looks interesting, but I've not tried one.
+1 Those are the same three I would recommend. You will save money in the long run by buying good quality cells. There are lots of threads here on cpf discussing this if you search. The cheaper china batteries (fire brands) will work but usually not know where near as long as the quality panasonic cells. The panasonics will outperform china batteries in current output (dew to their lower internal resistance) and run time especially in higher current draw lights. China batteries labeled capacity is usually know where near the actual capacity when tested. Just because the label says 3000mah it doesnt mean it is. Look at the link suggested in post #4. Always look for info or test on any battery before you buy it unless you just want to find out how the battery performs for your self.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey everyone,
I want to buy for me my first flashlight which runs on lithium cells- the T40CS. (all my current flashlights run on AA or AAA)
I very scare from the risk of explodion,but I am not have enough money to buy a AW battery,my max budget for 2 batteries is 25$
I need a 2600MAH battery (in sunwayman website,they said the flashlight uses 2600mah cells) and I need a battery with a diamater and size which can fit to the T40CS
I want to buy protected batteries,because I don't want the flashlight to explode... I saw some brands,can you say me-are they good for me and for the T40CS?
1.ultrafire 3.7V protected 18650 2600MAH (red)-the price is very low,but what is the build quality? and what about the protection? isn't it stop working after several recharges?
2.JetBeam 3.7V protected 2300MAH-the price is nice,the company is a well known company,but it's 2300MAH and not 2600mah? is it fine to use 2300mah cells on the T40CS? what will it cause the flashlight?
3.trustfire 3.7 protected 18650 2600MAH (''3000MAH'')-same as ultrafire,very low price,but I am not sure if the battery has enough protectoin,and isn't it stop working after several recharges?
so which is the best battery? (price,size and diameter,build quality,protection,life time-how many recharges until the battery stop workin etc.)
is there any other battery brand that fit my requirements? (price,size and diameter,build quality,protection,life time-how many recharges until the battery stop workin etc.)
thanks advance...

Go to Amazon.com and look into 2 Orbtronics 2900mah 'protected' 18650's($23) sold through Amazon, but from Orbtronics.com. I got 2 -2 packs of them for around $23, and they are built from Panasonic cells, just like the AW's. Redilasts, and Callies Customs, so they are just as good. Only a whole lot cheaper. There is a recent test/review of them here.

bmw5002

Newly Enlightened
Are these good cells? Orbtronic-18650-3100mAh

I'm looking to power a 3-cell light and obviously after reading up on here about lipo's I want to be super-super cautious. Are there currently any very good chargers out there for these batteries that are microprocessor controlled and will monitor temps and actually shut off completely when full voltage is reached? Irrespective of price... this is NOT something i would be cheap about. You can't put a price on safety.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norm

Retired Administrator
I'm looking to power a 3-cell light and obviously after reading up on here about lipo's I want to be super-super cautious. Are there currently any very good chargers out there for these batteries that are microprocessor controlled and will monitor temps and actually shut off completely when full voltage is reached? Irrespective of price... this is NOT something i would be cheap about. You can't put a price on safety.

You can read about them here

Norm

Last edited:

Shadowww

Banned

Yes they are, those Orbtronic batteries are using one of best cells available "in the wild" - the Panasonic NCR18650A.
+1 Those are the same three I would recommend. You will save money in the long run by buying good quality cells. There are lots of threads here on cpf discussing this if you search. The cheaper china batteries (fire brands) will work but usually not know where near as long as the quality panasonic cells. The panasonics will outperform china batteries in current output (dew to their lower internal resistance) and run time especially in higher current draw lights. China batteries labeled capacity is usually know where near the actual capacity when tested. Just because the label says 3000mah it doesnt mean it is. Look at the link suggested in post #4. Always look for info or test on any battery before you buy it unless you just want to find out how the battery performs for your self.
Since when CrapFire brands are the only option apart from AW, RL & CK? There are non-overpriced high-quality-cell based batteries, y' know, like Keeppower, Orbtronic and Xtar ones.

MT7

Newly Enlightened
can it to harm the flashlight if I use 3100MAH cells on a flashlight that need 2600MAH?
because the XTAR protected 18650 looks nice,but I am not sure that this cells fit the SUNWAYMAN T40CS...
is the XTAR protected 18650 3100MAH fit (size,diameter,capacity) to the SUNWAYMAN T40CS?
what is the meaning of using a battery with more MAH?
what do you say about the XTAR protected 18650 3100MAH for using in the sunwayman t40cs?

Shadowww

Banned
can it to harm the flashlight if I use 3100MAH cells on a flashlight that need 2600MAH?
Ah (ampere-hours) are methods of measuring capacity, think of it as liters of petrol - the more liters of gasoline your car has in it, the longer you can drive it for.
So no, there's no difference at all in terms of safety to flashlight between various capacity cells (heck, you can even use 1600mAh IMR cells if you want to, or the new 3400mAh NCR18650B's).
The only difference will be longer runtime - with 3100mAh batteries, your flashlight will last for longer than on 2600mAh ones.

The Xtar 3100mAh's are pretty good, no idea whether they'll fit, you should contact Xtar (or somebody who owns that light) about that I guess.

zenbeam

Enlightened
The reference to 2600mAh means that they did their runtime tests using a 2600mAh batteries, you can use any capacity batteries with that light.
Out of those 3, 1st and last are not good at all, and 2nd option isn't the best - but you can get pair of Keeppower 3100mAh cells for $23 (or even $21 if you use Make Offer feature) on eBay.

keeppower batteries seem good choice,i just ordered them.
you can see some 18650 reviews here : http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650Summary%20UK.html

+1

Granted, I too have but only ordered these - still waiting for them to arrive from China. But the review by CPF's HJK was enough to convince me that they are a good choice. They are Panasonic cells with an OEM label as Keeppower. Sure they are new, but as manufacturers catch on as to what folks like CPF members are buying - they will compete. So newcomer doesn't have to equal poor choice.

And the price is right! Go to ebay and use their search for keeppower 3100mAh 18650 - look for the one's sold by "doingoutdoor" and like noted above, make offer of $21 per pair and it will be accepted.

zenbeam

Enlightened

keeppower batteries seem good choice,i just ordered them.
you can see some 18650 reviews here : http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Common18650Summary UK.html

+1

Granted, I too have but only ordered these - still waiting for them to arrive from China. But the review by CPF's HKJ was enough to convince me that they are a good choice. They are Panasonic cells with an OEM label as Keeppower. Sure they are new, but as manufacturers catch on as to what folks like CPF members are buying - they will compete. So newcomer doesn't have to equal poor choice.

And the price is right! Go to ebay and use their search for keeppower 3100mAh 18650 - look for the one's sold by "doingoutdoor" and like noted above, make offer of $21 per pair and it will be accepted.

Last edited:

Danielight

Enlightened
-----------------------------------------------------------

I am running one of these in my Romisen RC-T601 II Cree XM-L U2 2-Mode Flashlight. Runs fine, no problems. (This battery replaces a TrustFire Protected 18650 Lithium Ion Battery 2400mAh which I originally bought with this flashlight. Based on reviews, I figured the Orbtronic battery, made by Panasonic, would be more reliable.)

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi MT7. :caution:Do not run unprotected ICR (LiCo) cells in lights that use more than one cell in series!!!:caution:

The only way you can do this, is if you are experienced with the use of Li-Ion cells and understand the risks involved. At that, the cells should be very closely matched, and discharge should be stopped, well before the cells become anywhere near depleted.

Also, multi cell IMR (LiMn), and IFR (LiFe) cells have "vented with flame", when mismatched and used in series. The charred remains and associated damage of some of these lights can be viewed in the "Smoke and Fire" thread, located at the top of this Forum's homepage. Preventative steps should be taken, before using these type cells in series, which are not provided with added protection circuits.

Again, do not use unprotected ICR (LiCo) cells in series applications, unless you fully understand the risks and are willing to accept them!

I really hate playing "safety nanny", but using any chemistry of Li-Ion cell in series can be dangerous. Apparently unknown to many, this includes the so called "safe" chemistry cells. These chemistry cells, IMR and IFR, are actually only "safer", not actually "safe"! If the cells used in series are very closely matched, and the discharge is limited, you can probably get away with it, there is no guarantee. The only cells that are more dangerous to use in series than Li-Ion cells, are mismatched lithium primary cells, eg. CR123A cells.

Dave

MT7

Newly Enlightened
Hi MT7. :caution:Do not run unprotected ICR (LiCo) cells in lights that use more than one cell in series!!!:caution:

The only way you can do this, is if you are experienced with the use of Li-Ion cells and understand the risks involved. At that, the cells should be very closely matched, and discharge should be stopped, well before the cells become anywhere near depleted.

Also, multi cell IMR (LiMn), and IFR (LiFe) cells have "vented with flame", when mismatched and used in series. The charred remains and associated damage of some of these lights can be viewed in the "Smoke and Fire" thread, located at the top of this Forum's homepage. Preventative steps should be taken, before using these type cells in series, which are not provided with added protection circuits.

Again, do not use unprotected ICR (LiCo) cells in series applications, unless you fully understand the risks and are willing to accept them!

I really hate playing "safety nanny", but using any chemistry of Li-Ion cell in series can be dangerous. Apparently unknown to many, this includes the so called "safe" chemistry cells. These chemistry cells, IMR and IFR, are actually only "safer", not actually "safe"! If the cells used in series are very closely matched, and the discharge is limited, you can probably get away with it, there is no guarantee. The only cells that are more dangerous to use in series than Li-Ion cells, are mismatched lithium primary cells, eg. CR123A cells.

Dave
so what can I do to use this batteries (XTAR protected 18650 3100MAH) safety?
am I need to buy a multimeter? or a voltage meter?
what can I do to use the batteries safer?
and what are you think about the XTAR 18650 protected cells 3100MAH?
thanks advance and have a nice day...

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
so what can I do to use this batteries (XTAR protected 18650 3100MAH) safety?

Either of the protected XTAR cells (3100, or 2600) should work fine. My post was directed at others that suggested using unprotected cells in series. This is not a safe practice, especially with ICR (LiCo) cells. With IMR and IFR cells, while these chemistries are "safer" (but not really "safe"), they are not supplied with protection circuits added. This makes them potentially dangerous, as well, just not as dangerous.

Again, I do not like playing safety nanny, but when using a light that uses two or more Li-Ion cells in series, this is serious business, and extra precautions need to be implemented. With the XTAR cells, as long as they are protected, you should be fine. However, protection circuits have been known to fail, especially at low current levels. For this reason, it is highly recommended to match the cells as closely as possible. The easiest way to do this is with a voltmeter or DMM, although this is not as accurate as discharging the cells on an analyzer of some kind, and matching cells of like capacity.

Also, as with any device that uses cells in series, it is strongly advisable to stop the discharge well short of fully discharging the "pack". This will extend cell longevity, regarding any cell chemistry, as well as add an additional safety margin, when using Li-Ion cells.

As for using Li-Ion cells in general, I consider the use of a voltmeter to be mandatory. It is the simplest way to keep track of the general condition of Li-Ion cells. The voltage of Li-Ion cells should always be checked before and after charging. Voltage measurement can also be helpful when discharging cells in a light that uses two or more cells in series. By checking the cell's voltages at several points during the discharge, you can determine if the cells are discharging evenly, at the same rate. You don't have to do this all the time, but done initially, and then periodically, it helps to determine if the cells are well matched.

It sounds like you have read around the Forum already, but if you haven't already, be sure to read over the relevant threads pertaining to Li-Ion cells in the "threads of interest" sticky located near the top of this Forum's homepage, and also the aforementioned "Smoke and Fire" sub forum. Battery University is an often referred to website for obtaining additional information regarding care and handling, as well as the general characteristics, of not only Li-Ion cells, but other types of rechargeable cells, as well.

Again the point of my previous post was directed at the suggestion of using unprotected Li-Ion cells in series. It can be done, I do it quite often, but there are necessary precautions and steps that must be taken, before doing so.

Dave