Votes: 3 7.0%
  • 4Sevens S12

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Fenix TK35

Votes: 20 46.5%

• Total voters

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, well I find myself finally in the market for a heavy hitter - have owned PLENTY of Surefires, Malkoffs, Ras, Fenix, 4Sevens and Zebras, but never managed to break the 300 lumen mark... The output/runtime was never worth it to me.

Howevever, seems like the technology has finally caught up with practicality and value. Don't want to spend more than $100 and have been doing my research and narrowed it down to the ZL SC600, 4Sevens X10, S12 and Fenix TK35.

My primary uses will be walkin the dog, when I need a lot of light on the trail NOW and a general WOW light. I am looking for the best compromise between runtime and output and also a nice mix of throw and flood. Battery choice is not too big of a concern as I have plenty of 18650s and can charge the 26650 in my Pila.

So I ask you guys, which would you recommend if you could only own one?

My gut tells me the X10, especially since I cannot ignore the low sub-$70 price of it now.

Thanks in advance :)

my#1hobby

Enlightened
I have the SC600, TK35, and the S12 and would say the TK35 is the best all around light for both flood and throw.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow thank you guys for the advice so far!

I am actually pretty surprised that the 4sevens arent getting more love... Especially the X10 at $69.

Must be the odd battery?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
It depends on the beam profile you like.

IRC, the TK35 drops from 820 L down to 346 L after 200 seconds, to avoid overheating. This means that while its turbo mode is really useful and bright, its high is less than half that from 200 seconds onwards, etc.

If you only use the light for short bursts, this is not a problem, and you get that juice for each burst.

Obviously, a light that throttles itself down to avoid damage is a good thing, as you WANT to be able to sprint as well as run/jog, even though you know the sprint will be short, etc...and you NEED to slow down or die.

:D

The X10 is a throwy light with a more narrow pattern, and a higher long term output...so if the light will be on for a while at a time, the X10 will be brighter.

If you WANT a broader pattern, the 4sevens S12 looks a lot like the X10, takes the 26650 cell, and puts out 1,200 lumens in a nice floody beam.

If its to walk the dog, its going to drop to a 346 lumen light a few minutes into the walk...so, to that end, the S12 might be better as well, as it both has a stronger floody beam, and well as a long run time.

YOU need to decide what beam profile and output makes sense for YOU, as, otherwise on this type of thread, people will just tell you to get what THEY like.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
My TK35 is a great light but if I was going to do a lot of walking I think I would carry a smaller light if that light was bright enough and that is where the SC600 comes in.

It's up to you if you want a heavier light to use while walking your dog but I prefer as little weight as possible, it just makes the walk or hike more enjoyable.

Bwolcott

Enlightened
It depends on the beam profile you like.

IRC, the TK35 drops from 820 L down to 346 L after 200 seconds, to avoid overheating. This means that while its turbo mode is really useful and bright, its high is less than half that from 200 seconds onwards, etc.

If you only use the light for short bursts, this is not a problem, and you get that juice for each burst.

Obviously, a light that throttles itself down to avoid damage is a good thing, as you WANT to be able to sprint as well as run/jog, even though you know the sprint will be short, etc...and you NEED to slow down or die.

The X10 is a throwy light with a more narrow pattern, and a higher long term output...so if the light will be on for a while at a time, the X10 will be brighter.

If you WANT a broader pattern, the 4sevens S12 looks a lot like the X10, takes the 26650 cell, and puts out 1,200 lumens in a nice floody beam.

If its to walk the dog, its going to drop to a 346 lumen light a few minutes into the walk...so, to that end, the S12 might be better as well, as it both has a stronger floody beam, and well as a long run time.

YOU need to decide what beam profile and output makes sense for YOU, as, otherwise on this type of thread, people will just tell you to get what THEY like.

the s12 puts out 800 lumens the large brother the s18 puts out 1200 on 6 cr 123s

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
25 minutes. Turn the light off and on and you'll get Trubo for another 25 minutes.
S12 has 800lm, X10 has 640lm. Theoretically because practically S12 has 800lm just for a few minutes and steps down to about 500, while X10 starts at about 770lm but it doesn't have step down so it'a brighter overall.

If you want compromise between flood and throw and WOW light - forget about SC600. It's almost all flood and because of this it appears less bright than it really is. I'd choose between X10 (more WOW factor) and TK35 (more versatile thanks to 4 modes and long runtime).

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Ooops, for got I modded my S12's to put out 1200 instead of 800 L..

So, yeah, the S12 stock is 800 L. The pics I posted on the forum of the S12 output are OF the 800 L/Pre-modded output though.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
tk35 not very comfy to hold. sucky UI

x10. 2 modes that's it. not versatile

for walking the dog you need a BROAD beam. that's the SC600. wows anyone i show it to

TEEJ

Flashaholic
tk35 not very comfy to hold. sucky UI

x10. 2 modes that's it. not versatile

for walking the dog you need a BROAD beam. that's the SC600. wows anyone i show it to

For taking a walk, its hard to beat the SC600, unless the walk includes needing to see further than ~ 50 yards away once in a while, then its a bit short sighted. Within that range though, its a damn useful beam.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
For taking a walk, its hard to beat the SC600, unless the walk includes needing to see further than ~ 50 yards away once in a while, then its a bit short sighted. Within that range though, its a damn useful beam.

for >50yds there's always the sneaker zoom! LOL

rufus001

Enlightened
I actually find the spill on my throwers very useful up close. I just leave the light on Hi and point it a metre or two in front of me. I have no problem seeing whats going on at all.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I actually find the spill on my throwers very useful up close. I just leave the light on Hi and point it a metre or two in front of me. I have no problem seeing whats going on at all.

LOL

That just means you don't know what you are missing.

Of course, some throwers DO have pretty useful spill, and its a question of degree.

Of course, for example, using my SR90 to just take advantage of the SPILL, while blowing cell juice out the lens that I'm not using, is not the most efficient way to see where I'm going...if seeing where I'm going is my primary objective.

Its more efficient for me at least to use a 4" long single 18650 light with a flood pattern to see where I'm going, and save the 6 cell 12" long light to see if it was a bear or a moose that cracked the twigs in the leaf litter 100-200 yards down the trail (Or, if I'm TurboBB, to keep me safe from ferocious racoons...)

Last edited:

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zebralight SC600w is the light I grab when I let my dog outside or do any other task around the house. I love the tint, UI, switch location, and output levels.