Elite Flashlights - The Best LED Flashlights, Chargers and Batteries

View Poll Results: Which One for a first timer?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zebralight SC600

    18 41.86%
  • 4Sevens X10

    3 6.98%
  • 4Sevens S12

    2 4.65%
  • Fenix TK35

    20 46.51%
Results 1 to 27 of 27

Thread: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

  1. #1
    Flashaholic* bullfrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Manhattan & the Catskills
    Posts
    1,339

    Shrug Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    Hi guys, well I find myself finally in the market for a heavy hitter - have owned PLENTY of Surefires, Malkoffs, Ras, Fenix, 4Sevens and Zebras, but never managed to break the 300 lumen mark... The output/runtime was never worth it to me.

    Howevever, seems like the technology has finally caught up with practicality and value. Don't want to spend more than $100 and have been doing my research and narrowed it down to the ZL SC600, 4Sevens X10, S12 and Fenix TK35.

    My primary uses will be walkin the dog, when I need a lot of light on the trail NOW and a general WOW light. I am looking for the best compromise between runtime and output and also a nice mix of throw and flood. Battery choice is not too big of a concern as I have plenty of 18650s and can charge the 26650 in my Pila.

    So I ask you guys, which would you recommend if you could only own one?

    My gut tells me the X10, especially since I cannot ignore the low sub-$70 price of it now.

    Thanks in advance
    ...as for me, when you want a good laugh, you will find me, in a fine state, fat and flourishing, a true hog of Epicurus' herd...
    Running Collection List
    HERE

  2. #2
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    I have, and love both the SC600 and TK35. For what you describe I would have to go with the TK35.
    Deus Vult

  3. #3
    Flashaholic* Bwolcott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    564

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    Id say tk35 as well especially since its not a proprietary battery

  4. #4
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    293

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    I have the SC600, TK35, and the S12 and would say the TK35 is the best all around light for both flood and throw.
    Need...... more...... lights!

  5. #5
    Flashaholic Jay611j's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    256

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    I say go for the updated TK35.
    Thereís always a light at the end of the tunnel. Just hope itís not a train.

  6. #6
    Flashaholic* bullfrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Manhattan & the Catskills
    Posts
    1,339

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    wow thank you guys for the advice so far!

    I am actually pretty surprised that the 4sevens arent getting more love... Especially the X10 at $69.

    Must be the odd battery?
    ...as for me, when you want a good laugh, you will find me, in a fine state, fat and flourishing, a true hog of Epicurus' herd...
    Running Collection List
    HERE

  7. #7

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    It depends on the beam profile you like.

    IRC, the TK35 drops from 820 L down to 346 L after 200 seconds, to avoid overheating. This means that while its turbo mode is really useful and bright, its high is less than half that from 200 seconds onwards, etc.

    If you only use the light for short bursts, this is not a problem, and you get that juice for each burst.

    Obviously, a light that throttles itself down to avoid damage is a good thing, as you WANT to be able to sprint as well as run/jog, even though you know the sprint will be short, etc...and you NEED to slow down or die.



    The X10 is a throwy light with a more narrow pattern, and a higher long term output...so if the light will be on for a while at a time, the X10 will be brighter.

    If you WANT a broader pattern, the 4sevens S12 looks a lot like the X10, takes the 26650 cell, and puts out 1,200 lumens in a nice floody beam.




    If its to walk the dog, its going to drop to a 346 lumen light a few minutes into the walk...so, to that end, the S12 might be better as well, as it both has a stronger floody beam, and well as a long run time.


    YOU need to decide what beam profile and output makes sense for YOU, as, otherwise on this type of thread, people will just tell you to get what THEY like.

    Last edited by TEEJ; 06-10-2012 at 03:30 PM.

  8. #8
    Flashaholic CamoNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Rock Hill, SC
    Posts
    375

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    TK35. You'll be happy with it.

  9. #9
    Flashaholic* jhc37013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,205

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    My TK35 is a great light but if I was going to do a lot of walking I think I would carry a smaller light if that light was bright enough and that is where the SC600 comes in.

    It's up to you if you want a heavier light to use while walking your dog but I prefer as little weight as possible, it just makes the walk or hike more enjoyable.
    My flashlight collection HERE

  10. #10
    Flashaholic* Bwolcott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    564

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
    It depends on the beam profile you like.

    IRC, the TK35 drops from 820 L down to 346 L after 200 seconds, to avoid overheating. This means that while its turbo mode is really useful and bright, its high is less than half that from 200 seconds onwards, etc.

    If you only use the light for short bursts, this is not a problem, and you get that juice for each burst.

    Obviously, a light that throttles itself down to avoid damage is a good thing, as you WANT to be able to sprint as well as run/jog, even though you know the sprint will be short, etc...and you NEED to slow down or die.



    The X10 is a throwy light with a more narrow pattern, and a higher long term output...so if the light will be on for a while at a time, the X10 will be brighter.

    If you WANT a broader pattern, the 4sevens S12 looks a lot like the X10, takes the 26650 cell, and puts out 1,200 lumens in a nice floody beam.




    If its to walk the dog, its going to drop to a 346 lumen light a few minutes into the walk...so, to that end, the S12 might be better as well, as it both has a stronger floody beam, and well as a long run time.


    YOU need to decide what beam profile and output makes sense for YOU, as, otherwise on this type of thread, people will just tell you to get what THEY like.


    the s12 puts out 800 lumens the large brother the s18 puts out 1200 on 6 cr 123s

  11. #11

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
    IRC, the TK35 drops from 820 L down to 346 L after 200 seconds, to avoid overheating. This means that while its turbo mode is really useful and bright, its high is less than half that from 200 seconds onwards, etc.
    25 minutes. Turn the light off and on and you'll get Trubo for another 25 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
    The X10 is a throwy light with a more narrow pattern, and a higher long term output...so if the light will be on for a while at a time, the X10 will be brighter.
    If you WANT a broader pattern, the 4sevens S12 looks a lot like the X10, takes the 26650 cell, and puts out 1,200 lumens in a nice floody beam.
    S12 has 800lm, X10 has 640lm. Theoretically because practically S12 has 800lm just for a few minutes and steps down to about 500, while X10 starts at about 770lm but it doesn't have step down so it'a brighter overall.

    If you want compromise between flood and throw and WOW light - forget about SC600. It's almost all flood and because of this it appears less bright than it really is. I'd choose between X10 (more WOW factor) and TK35 (more versatile thanks to 4 modes and long runtime).

  12. #12

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    Ooops, for got I modded my S12's to put out 1200 instead of 800 L..

    So, yeah, the S12 stock is 800 L. The pics I posted on the forum of the S12 output are OF the 800 L/Pre-modded output though.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    tk35 not very comfy to hold. sucky UI

    x10. 2 modes that's it. not versatile

    for walking the dog you need a BROAD beam. that's the SC600. wows anyone i show it to

  14. #14

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    Quote Originally Posted by Overclocker View Post
    tk35 not very comfy to hold. sucky UI

    x10. 2 modes that's it. not versatile

    for walking the dog you need a BROAD beam. that's the SC600. wows anyone i show it to

    For taking a walk, its hard to beat the SC600, unless the walk includes needing to see further than ~ 50 yards away once in a while, then its a bit short sighted. Within that range though, its a damn useful beam.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
    For taking a walk, its hard to beat the SC600, unless the walk includes needing to see further than ~ 50 yards away once in a while, then its a bit short sighted. Within that range though, its a damn useful beam.

    for >50yds there's always the sneaker zoom! LOL

  16. #16
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    279

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    I actually find the spill on my throwers very useful up close. I just leave the light on Hi and point it a metre or two in front of me. I have no problem seeing whats going on at all.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    Quote Originally Posted by rufus001 View Post
    I actually find the spill on my throwers very useful up close. I just leave the light on Hi and point it a metre or two in front of me. I have no problem seeing whats going on at all.

    LOL

    That just means you don't know what you are missing.



    Of course, some throwers DO have pretty useful spill, and its a question of degree.


    Of course, for example, using my SR90 to just take advantage of the SPILL, while blowing cell juice out the lens that I'm not using, is not the most efficient way to see where I'm going...if seeing where I'm going is my primary objective.

    Its more efficient for me at least to use a 4" long single 18650 light with a flood pattern to see where I'm going, and save the 6 cell 12" long light to see if it was a bear or a moose that cracked the twigs in the leaf litter 100-200 yards down the trail (Or, if I'm TurboBB, to keep me safe from ferocious racoons...)

    Last edited by TEEJ; 06-11-2012 at 06:43 AM.

  18. #18
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    279

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
    LOL

    That just means you don't know what you are missing.
    I'm walking the dog in an urban environment not out in the Bush. So it's not like AAAAAAAH BEAR!!!!! RUN!!!!!! AAAAAH!!!!!!

  19. #19

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    Quote Originally Posted by rufus001 View Post
    I'm walking the dog in an urban environment not out in the Bush. So it's not like AAAAAAAH BEAR!!!!! RUN!!!!!! AAAAAH!!!!!!

    LOL

    See?

    You never saw the bears!





  20. #20
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,010

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    The Zebralight SC600w is the light I grab when I let my dog outside or do any other task around the house. I love the tint, UI, switch location, and output levels.

  21. #21
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    383

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    There are worse things than Bears in the urban environment.
    Deus Vult

  22. #22
    Flashaholic* bullfrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Manhattan & the Catskills
    Posts
    1,339

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    Well, after some searching and hunting, came across a deal on TK35 that I could not pass up...

    Looking forward to finally, after years of this sickness, getting my first light over 250 lumens for the WOW factor!!!

    I guess that's a testament to how great the Surefire LX2 and Malkoff M dropins really are... but now its time for a big boy!

    Thanks for all the help guys!
    ...as for me, when you want a good laugh, you will find me, in a fine state, fat and flourishing, a true hog of Epicurus' herd...
    Running Collection List
    HERE

  23. #23
    Flashaholic* skyfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,710

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    i would of suggested a torchlabs triple drop-in. since you have plenty of hosts. i know i could always use more drop-ins, cause it seems like i always have more hosts.

    i had a chance to play with the tk35 briefly in a store, and it was more compact than i expected.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    I have both ZL and TK 35

    It easily to select TK 35.

    In real life like yesterday I have to find the ZL in the dark and waste about 10 second try to turn it on because the deep and small switch in the dark.

    The beam pattern is nice but the switch is not good for real life in emergency.

    If you think you can control everything and think you will never use in any serious issue ZL is a good choice but if you plan to use it in real life that you cannot control anything TK 35 should suitable for you.

    If you like the beam profile like ZL you can try another choice like Spark SL6-800

    Quite similar pattern and easier UI. The switch is easy to reach in emergency case.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    Quote Originally Posted by bullfrog View Post
    Well, after some searching and hunting, came across a deal on TK35 that I could not pass up...

    Looking forward to finally, after years of this sickness, getting my first light over 250 lumens for the WOW factor!!!

    I guess that's a testament to how great the Surefire LX2 and Malkoff M dropins really are... but now its time for a big boy!

    Thanks for all the help guys!
    Good call! I love my SC600 but in all honesty its flood doesn't compete well with the ambient light in my neighbourhood. I have two friends who own TK35's and I find the spill they provide is more than adequate for close-up situations. The defined hot spot has great reach and really gets into the recesses!

  26. #26

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    Quote Originally Posted by specimen View Post
    I have both ZL and TK 35

    It easily to select TK 35.

    In real life like yesterday I have to find the ZL in the dark and waste about 10 second try to turn it on because the deep and small switch in the dark.

    The beam pattern is nice but the switch is not good for real life in emergency.

    If you think you can control everything and think you will never use in any serious issue ZL is a good choice but if you plan to use it in real life that you cannot control anything TK 35 should suitable for you.

    If you like the beam profile like ZL you can try another choice like Spark SL6-800

    Quite similar pattern and easier UI. The switch is easy to reach in emergency case.

    dude in a real emergency murphy's law dictates that the tk35 will turn on on low and will require some fiddling to get back to max

    one click on the sc600 always means 750 lumens (if strobe is H2)

  27. #27

    Default Re: Help: SC600 vs. S12 vs. X10 vs. TK35?

    I voted SC600.

    The TK35 is really an awesome light, but for the purpose you talk about using it I think you want more flood and less throw.

    Unfortunately I don't have any first hand experience with either 4sevens light to recommend them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •