Trying to remove strobe mode from led (circuit pictures included)

adamsmh663

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys I have bought an elcheapo led torch from ebay. (also apologies if this is the wrong section/forum, mods please move it)

The thing annoying me about is the modes it has 3 modes Hi/Lo and strobe . I want a simple torch with on/off, but i could live with hi/lo, but absolutely hate strobe.

Anyway here are the circuit pictures so hopefully one of you guys can see what i need to mod to make it a simple on/off torch and remove atleast strobe.

pics:

21xulv.jpg

s1rtpf.jpg

and a panit drawing if you cant quite make out the details.
rksaqb.jpg

the black boxes are like transistors or something they are soldered onto the circuit board (sorry im not expert in electronics) but i do know basics and shoudl be able to do a simple solder.

thanks in advance

wquiles

Flashaholic
Last edited:

adamsmh663

Newly Enlightened
I just removed the resistor? (ID3).

now its working perfect .

simply on/off mode

wooo

fireman_steve

Newly Enlightened
how do i remove modes from my torch?

Hi, I've got a 1300 Lumens CREE XML XM-L T6 LED tourch with 3 modes on, dim and strobe. all i want is on and off (on full) is there any way to pull apart and rewire? or do i need a whole new board?
cheers

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: how do i remove modes from my torch?

Which light is this? Usually, you'll need a whole new board. If you are good with electronics and soldering, you might be able to bypass the microcontroller on the driver of the light and turn it into a single mode light.

:welcome:

arcman

Newly Enlightened
Possible to mod 5-mode driver to remove flash modes?

First time here.

I purchased two Ultrafire XM-l T6 flashlights (Goodbye Maglites!) only to find out that you can't avoid the flashing modes. ( Never in my 60 years have I needed or wanted a flashing mode in a flashlight. I'm amazed that all these lights come with this useless feature )

I ended up buying a 3-mode driver board which was a bit smaller in diameter and I had to machine an adapter to fit. A bit of a pain but all's well with those two.

I'm about to buy a couple more of the same style lights but can't find any with a 3-mode driver that doesn't have some kind of flashing mode. Even a two way would be fine but I can't find that either.

Is there any way to modify the 5-mode driver to defeat the flash modes? Not an electronics guy, but I'm guessing one of the IC's on the board does the switching. You'd think it could be bypassed.

Any hope here?

Thanks.

P.S. Man, the search engine here is a tough one. Sorry, but that verfication thing is BS.

rufusbduck

Newly Enlightened
Re: Possible to mod 5-mode driver to remove flash modes?

You might try linking pins 3-4 with solder. Some Attiny mcu's can be modded this way to give l-m-h only. See the 1.4A driver at Illumination Supply or International Outdoor. It does not work with all 7135 based drivers.

MikeAusC

Enlightened

There are some Drivers with multiple Groups. Once you've selected the Group you want, you'll never need to worry about unwanted Modes.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast

what flashlight are we talking about? And what is the diameter of the driver?
There are versions of the 7135-chip drivers that are configurable

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast

Arcman

I am 68 and have used Surefire all my adult working and now retired life and have been now using these new lights mainly the Eagletac G25C2 MKll, Eagletac D25LC2, and the great Nitecore TM26 that have all these hidden modes.

At my age my only need would be for them would be for an emergency location strobe or beacon.

I am just grateful that some of the strobe & beacon modes can be separated from everyday use. :thumbsup:

arcman

Newly Enlightened

Sorry guys, been away for a few days.

The chip is 20mm diameter.

cree-chip.jpg

Dr.Jones

Newly Enlightened

The modes (all of them) are built into that little 6-pin IC and can't be easily removed or bypassed. What I often do with lights like this is to remove the components of that board and use it as contact plate for a NANJG105C (with custom firmware, so I can have all the modes I want) - supposing there's enough space above the original driver.

Edna Shimeluski

Newly Enlightened
How to modify simple mode?

I have an Ultra-Fire 502B and want to simply modify it to ON HIGH and OFF. I want to eliminate the other modes entirely. I searched here, but can't find any instructions. Any help?

Mason235

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I have brought a torch and it has 3 modes:High,Low and Strobe.The strobe is REALLY annoying.Is there any way that I can get rid of the strobe mode???
thanks,
Mason
C:\Users\HPBEAT~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.jpg
C:\Users\HPBEAT~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image004.jpg

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do you folks tag onto a long-dead thread instead of just posting a new one?

And to answer Mason235's post - we need a lot more information to actually help you. If you look at the first post (from 2012), the requestor posted details and even a drawing. At the very least, please give us the model number of your torch?

The images you posted seem to live on your hard drive. If you would like to post images here, please use an online storage place like Photobucket.

Mason235

Newly Enlightened
Sorry,
I got the torch off DX
It says that it is an UltraFire XML-T6
Here are the pictures.
a>
a>
P1050648_zpso30dxomc.jpg

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi M,
Thank you for the photo, it helps somewhat. We are more than happy to help, but there are still several questions involved. What battery(ies) does this torch use? That would determine what type of driver to get. My suggestion is to look for a driver (and it looks like this one is 17mm diameter) that does not have a strobe mode. You can see that really there are only a couple wires to unsolder and re-solder on the new driver. Typically, if you see a driver on DX and it says 5-mode, then most often it's got everything including a strobe and the kitchen sink.

As long as the driver physically fits, can handle the input voltage from your battery or batteries, and can produce enough juice to feed your LED or LEDs, then you're golden. Of course I am over-simplifying it, but this can be a great way to ease into modifying flashlights.

~D

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If you are trying to remove the mode memory which forces you to cycle through the strobe mode(s) even when turned off there is a method of fixing that problem that has to do with taking a pencil and depositing graphite over a capacitor which will bleed off the charge on it that keeps the next mode memorized even when off. I fixed a cheap $3 light and now if I leave it off for about 5 seconds it always starts on high then low so as long as I turn it off after low I never see the strobe mode.