SF R1 LAWMAN HEAT ISSUES

viciousGLOCK40

Newly Enlightened
:caution: My R1 Lawman gets extremely hot when used on high at the bezel/entire head area. So hot that I cant touch the light, I have to use the tail switch. Anyone? Anything?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long are you running it?

I havent had any heat issues, even with a constant-on runtime test. It does get hot, but not as hot as you described.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is normal for high-output lights, mine also got very warm during the runtime test. How long were you using it for?

viciousGLOCK40

Newly Enlightened
The longest ive ran it straight for is about 45 min on high. When I grip the bezel in my fist and operate the head switch, its is very very hot. I cant hold onto it for more than 5 seconds.

Also, cosmetic issues that im not really concerned about but did not expect:

-the "SF" button on the head switch is noticeably crooked.

-the anodization on the head and body dont match at all.

-if you look at the light square on, the smooth areas on the body between the knurling are completely off center from the head switch.

This is a duty light and I dont want it to be overheating and failing, leaving me in the dark. Cosmetic stuff is not a big deal...this light will be beat up and used but I just didnt expect it from such a high-end light ya know?

viciousGLOCK40

Newly Enlightened
Also, I want the record to show that I am in no way bashing surefire's products or company and I have not contacted their customer service. I believe I just have an early production model with some flaws.

Size15's

Flashaholic
If you believe your R1 is getting too hot I suggest you give SureFire a call.

I think it's worth considering that high output does produce high temperatures, and that the best place for the heat is away from the LED.
This means if the flashlight surface was not getting hot after constant-on high output I'd be concerned.

SureFire have been using computer modelling and thermal imaging to design and test their lights for years.

SureFire's use of Hard Anodisation is for durability (performance) and they have many years producing HA models that have various components that don't colour-match. SureFire produce components in batches and this is normal.

The bezel switch button logo not lining up is something SureFire may want to improve.
Getting threaded components to line-up is difficult. I guess having it ever so slightly off could be considered worse than it seemingly not being something SureFire wanted to get spot-on?

I'm not convinced what you believe is accurate; that is unless it has a fault causing excessive heat, which if you call SureFire I'm certain their make right for you.

bluebonnet

Newly Enlightened
:caution: My R1 Lawman gets extremely hot when used on high at the bezel/entire head area. So hot that I cant touch the light, I have to use the tail switch. Anyone? Anything?

By chance, have you tried switching out the rechargeable Panasonic and tried running the R1 on 123A primaries to see if it runs any cooler? Just a shot in the dark.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call me crazy, but for over $400, they shouldve designed it so it dissipates heat better.

If it wasn't dissipating heat properly, it wouldn't get very hot. The heat would stay trapped inside. The fact that it is getting hot should be a good sign, but call Surefire just to be sure.
Besides, isn't there a big icon on the front of the light with the words "caution: hot surface" :)

FPSRelic

Enlightened
As it's a duty light, it's probably best to take your fears to Surefire's tech support and ask them what they think. As other's have said, if the light didn't get hot, it wouldn't be dissipating heat properly, but it's can't hurt to verify if the amount of heat that's it's dissipating is normal.

Besides, isn't there a big icon on the front of the light with the words "caution: hot surface" :)

It's funny, that thought ocurred to me as well when reading this thread :)

viciousGLOCK40

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. The cosmetic stuff is no biggy. I dont know how to add pictures to a post as I am new to the forum. Ill give the light a work out this weekend at work...i have a festival to work and two 10 hour shifts. So, we'll see. I would like you all to see pictures though.

budynabuick

Enlightened
One man"s "hot" is another"s "not so hot". We need too know some temps to know if it is REALLY hot or just feels hot. Temp please? LOL

Keith

bluebonnet

Newly Enlightened

Have you registered your warranty code with SureFire? Perhaps you should discuss your issue with SureFire tech support as others have suggested. My R1 certainly gets warm after extended use on HIGH, but I can hold the "head area" without being uncomfortable. Please tell us what SureFire technical support said should you make the call.

viciousGLOCK40

Newly Enlightened
Last night I returned home from completing a search warrant while using the R1 Lawman. The fuel gauge showed red. I plugged the AC charger into the light and the fuel gauge turned green. I knew this wasnt right so I unplugged it, inspected/cleaned the light/battery and tried again. I did this several times. I left the R1 plugged in for 5 hours, the gauge was green the entire time and when I unplugged it the gauge showed red. Can anyone speculate what might be going on?

bluebonnet

Newly Enlightened
Last night I returned home from completing a search warrant while using the R1 Lawman. The fuel gauge showed red. I plugged the AC charger into the light and the fuel gauge turned green. I knew this wasnt right so I unplugged it, inspected/cleaned the light/battery and tried again. I did this several times. I left the R1 plugged in for 5 hours, the gauge was green the entire time and when I unplugged it the gauge showed red. Can anyone speculate what might be going on?

vG40,have you received your Lawman back from SF warranty repair? Any diagnosis of the malfunction?

viciousGLOCK40

Newly Enlightened
I got it back yesterday with no diagnosis. I emailed SF fours days ago to inquire about the repair/diagnosis, no reply yet so im going to call this week. They sent my original light and battery back. Ill post on this thread if I get an answer.

bluebonnet

Newly Enlightened
I got it back yesterday with no diagnosis. I emailed SF fours days ago to inquire about the repair/diagnosis, no reply yet so im going to call this week. They sent my original light and battery back. Ill post on this thread if I get an answer.

Do you continue to have "heat issues" with your R1?