New Black Diamond Headlamp - link -

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's just the Storm with a larger, separate battery pack. It still automatically switches modes (from spot to flood) each time you turn it on and off. I'd never buy another headlamp like that.

I'm sure it's a decent light (like the Storm) but it's the opposite of innovation. They just don't get it.

lphomiej

Newly Enlightened
This headlamp is pretty cool looking. If you were looking for a new headlamp what would you guys buy? I would use it for night hiking and caving mostly.

I saw the Black Diamond Storm, which is pretty cool.
...as well as the PT Apex.

Both are about $50-65. That isn't a bad price. Just curious if there is anything better out there.

lphomiej

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I saw the Fenix on amazon, but it has slightly worse reviews than the Princeton Tec. PT has 23 reviews with three reviews that are three and under. Fenix has 23 reviews with 9 reviews that are 3 and under. 23 reviews isn't a huge sample, but just worth noting.

The extra light output of the Fenix so is pretty alluring, though.

florinache

Newly Enlightened
I could compare them (hp11 and the new Icon) two weeks ago, on a night trail walking, and the "reviews" of all of us (the others had smaller petzls) were in favour of hp11. Better throw, yellowish tint, the difusser is nice around the camp. And the Icon's plastic looks cheaper. Plus it's a bit tricky the one button choice of BD designers, and the red light is much too bright for any night vision preservation.

somewhere

Newly Enlightened
did someone test it with NiMh accu? I suggest there will be a problem with regulated light output - treshold 4,7V for accus is too high.