Bay Area night-hike... This Friday, June 15

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Sorry for the last minute schedule....
bigchellis, myself and a couple other members are meeting up for a night hike this friday evening.

http://www.bahiker.com/southbayhikes/sweeney.html

We'll meet around 7:00-7:30, at the trail head at the end of Sneath lane.
Its mainly dry fire road and some paved pathways too.

Anyone else?

thanks!!

Last edited:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been on that trail. It's not for the feint of heart nor for anyone who is out of breath at the top of a flight of stairs. It's almost entirely paved and averages about 8% all the way to the top with one section at an estimated 12%. I'll try to make it, depending on how my back is doing! since this is practically in my back yard.
DSC01837.jpg

The trail in this photo is the beginning of the dirt section leading down into Pacifica. I'm standing at the end of the paved trail taking this photo. At another part of this trail is the discovery site for the SF bay complete with plaque so it's worth the hike.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mixing my album so probably can't make it ;(

That's a fun area - there's a really cool illegal MTB trail off of the fireroad just up from the orchid farm.
It just heads down to the neighborhood below tho.

I do lots of night time trail building just south of there.

We do some night riding off of old Pedro rd down into the old trout farm.
Try to go lights out near the rangers house ;)
Lots of deer & foxes n the occasional skunk who aren't impressed by aspherics hahha

Endless adventures to be had around there!

I'll try to make the next one for sure!

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, that trail in my photo down to the orchid farm is legal for mountain biking. I've checked that. As long as its a fire road wide enough for a car to drive through you're fine. Also, it's legal to night hike there as I had called the GGNA and asked when Sweeney Ridge Trail closes and they basically said, there's no open nor closing time listed so you're fine to be out there so long as you don't do anything silly.

Here's a link to some photos that I took riding up this trail on mountain bikes.

Last edited:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you follow that link to my photos you'll see an elevation/distance chart for when we rode up there and back down the way we came. The trail head is just past the 4.5 mile mark and the top is around the 6.5 mile mark. That makes it two miles to the top with a 500 foot elevation gain. You'll see that there's no letup on the elevation gain all the way up.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
OK thanks for the heads up... I was going to pack some dogs and do a trail-side cookout. But now I think propel and energy bars will be best.

I'll leave the stove + mess kit at home then...

dscn6731.jpg

dscn6734.jpg

dscn6728x.jpg

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you know I am definitely there. PCC, take some pain killers so your back will not be an issue. :D

See you guys Friday.

Jose

Last edited:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bring throwers, there's nothing but wide open spaces up there. You should bring at least one long lasting floody light for the hike down since the sun should be setting as you arrive at the top. Bring a jacket as well as it can get very cold and windy at the top, not to mention the possibility of being fogged in.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bring throwers, there's nothing but wide open spaces up there. You should bring at least one long lasting floody light for the hike down since the sun should be setting as you arrive at the top. Bring a jacket as well as it can get very cold and windy at the top, not to mention the possibility of being fogged in.

Thanks for the Jacket reminder. I forgot how cold it gets closer to the city.

I only have 20~30K lux single 18650 throwers now. Krammer5150 has some cool trowers though with big reflectors and XM-L.

I just want to show off how I been staying busy..here I am in my Jeep
JeepLake.jpg

bigC

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Truth is I am nursing a bad hip back to health so... gonna gonna take it slow.

Just got confirmation Gordon will be there too.

Can anyone get in contact with Jamie?... and any of the other bay area members.