Good AA LED Flaslight

Dimt

Newly Enlightened
Any recommendations for a AA LED flashlight with the on/off button on the barrel of the flashlight instead of the button on the end? I find the end button annoying. Maybe I'm just too set in my ways. I have a Dorcey AAA flashlight with this configuration but would like to use my Eneloop AA's in similar flashlight.

BarryG

Enlightened
Check out the Zebralight offerings, sounds like what you are looking for.

Barry

P.S. 5 yrs and only 2 posts, a man of few words indeed!

Ezeriel

Enlightened
Are the Zebralights light enough to carry on your key chain & not do any damage to the car's ignition?
I wouldn't try it. I wouldn't use anything more then a crummy coin/watch battery key-chain led light... Maybe a AAA light if I only had a few keys on the ring.

Megatrowned

Enlightened
If you are looking for a cool looking AA light, I like the looks of the Spark lights. Search Going Gear on you tube for some good video reviews of them.

karnevil

Newly Enlightened
Are the Zebralights light enough to carry on your key chain & not do any damage to the car's ignition?

I have a Zebralight SC51w. It is a great AA powered light, but it would be way heavier than anything I would want on a keychain. Any AA powdered light would be too heavy in my opinion.

rambo180

Enlightened
Superbright AA flashlight for travel and general purpose

Hi, I'm after a superbright AA flashlight for holidays, bush walks, bedstand light, travel, general purpose (AA or AAA. I want more than 200lm):

I have an 18650 flashlight already, I want an AA for 2 reasons:
- I do a lot of travelling, and lithium batteries aren't allowed on planes down under.
- I want to easily be able to buy batteries.

FLOOD/THROW: I do not want something too floody but I do not want anything with an aspheric lens or a laser-like deerlight.
I have an Olight i3, 70lm with OP reflector and R5 LED. It provides a good amount of flood and throw.

UI can be anything. I quite like the idea of a magnetic control ring but I dont need it.

A few modes would be nice. Moonlight desirable, not essential.

2 lights I'm considering:
- shiningbeam caveman at around 205 ANSI lumens and runs on 2xAA.
- Maglite XL200 another option, 174 lumens with focusable beam, 3xAAA.

Any other ideas?
thinking.gif

cheers in advance.

Last edited:

rambo180

Enlightened
Re: Superbright AA flashlight for travel and general purpose

Hi, I'm after a superbright AA flashlight for holidays, bush walks, bedstand light, travel, general purpose (2xAA (4xAA if I have to) I want more than 200lm):

I have an 18650 flashlight already, I want an AA for 2 reasons:
- I do a lot of travelling, and lithium batteries aren't allowed on planes down under.
- I want to easily be able to buy batteries.

FLOOD/THROW: I do not want something too floody but I do not want anything with an aspheric lens or a laser-like deerlight.
I have an Olight i3, 70lm with OP reflector and R5 LED. It provides a good amount of flood and throw.

UI can be anything. I quite like the idea of a magnetic control ring but I dont need it.

A few modes would be nice. Moonlight desirable, not essential.

I am looking at the shiningbeam caveman at around 205 ANSI lumens and runs on 2xAA. Any other ideas?:thinking:

cheers in advance.

BTW I do own a Maglite Mini and recently purchased a Terralux LED upgrade. The LED stops working when you turn the light upside down. Got it cheap so not sure it is worth returning. I think its time to shelf the mag and get with the times. That thing is 90's technology.

CMAG

Enlightened

AAA cost allot per amp VS AA
Fenix makes some nice 2xAA worth a look if on a budget
If not a Gizmo with 2xAA pak, HDS systems made a 2XAA tube for there EDC but hard to find, or a little twisty 2xAA

bushmattster

Newly Enlightened

Check out Eagletac. Very bright, good reviews.

Grmnracing

Newly Enlightened
FourSevens Quark AA^2. I have one and love it! Super bright, durable, many modes and levels. There is two versions of the UI. Tactical and Regular. I have the regular version and would not trade it for the world.

Last edited:

bedazzLED

Enlightened

Hi Rambo180.

Here are some more suggestions to assist in making the decision harder :)

2 x AA lights
Eagletac D25A2 at 325 lumen
Jetbeam BA20 at 270 lumen
Shiningbeam Caveman at 290 lumen
Thrunite Neutron 2A at 260 lumen
Sunwayman V20A at 210 lumen

3 x AA lights
Olight S35 Baton at 380 lumen
Sunwayman M30A at 240 lumen

4 x AA lights
Fenix LD40 at 240 lumen
Jetbeam PA40 at 468 lumen
Sunwayman M40A at 500 lumen

6 x AA lights
Olight S65 Baton at 700 lumen

8 x AA lights
Fenix TK41 at 800 lumen

Take a serious look at the S35. It is surprisingly small with a ton of output.
The Caveman is a very nice simple, solid light too.
If you want variable output, then the Sunwayman V20A is the one.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

rambo180

Enlightened

Hi Rambo180.

Here are some more suggestions to assist in making the decision harder :)

you achieved your goal. cheers. the S35 is looking promising. Can we point out any more throwy lights?
looked at the PA40 but with a small OP reflector, I don't think it will suit.

Cheers for the replies bedazzle, grimacing, bushmaster, cmag (excuse my spellling). will checkout the suggestions. 4sevens, fenix and eagletac I will look at.

Yamabushi

Enlightened

If you want more throw, consider the 4Sevens Quark AA^2 Turbo (Foursevens Turbo QB2A).

TweakMDS

Enlightened

The Olight S35 looks like it could be nice for you, but it's 3xAA. Consider this if you plan to mostly use eneloops (which I'd recommend). 3xAA is fine if you have a single AA light to use the 4th battery, but try to keep the sets marked and matched, because things will go wrong eventually if you use two fresh and one half-depleted cell. Also make sure you'd have an individual channel charger.

2xAA is more versatile imo, so maybe consider one of these:
- Quark Turbo: Good throw, poor UI (some love it though, so a matter of opinion)
- NiteCore EA2: very good throw and tiny for a 2xAA light.
- EagleTac P20A2: nice little throw also, and not too expensive

For a really compact general purpose (between flood and throw) 2xAA light, the EagleTac D25A2 clicky is a great choice.

You've already had some great suggestions above, so just posting the ones that weren't mentioned and stand out to me (also looking for an AA thrower).

Last edited:

Danielight

Enlightened

One of my favorite single AA lights is the Sunwayman V10A. May not have as much throw as you would like, but it can run on 14500s, which makes it very bright. Excellent construction, and magnetic control ring ... can go very low as well (< 1 lumen), which makes it an excellent bedside light.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Foursevens Quark AA^2 XML (QP2A-X) with an optional 1xAA body. It was the highest output 2xAlk Selfbuilt has ever tested (but may be surpassed now) and a 360 hrs moonlight mode. 1xAA makes it great for pocket EDC and running a 14500. I love the spare 2x tube for a tac-cool spare batt container.

rambo180

Enlightened

Foursevens Quark AA^2 XML (QP2A-X) with an optional 1xAA body. It was the highest output 2xAlk Selfbuilt has ever tested (but may be surpassed now) and a 360 hrs moonlight mode. 1xAA makes it great for pocket EDC and running a 14500. I love the spare 2x tube for a tac-cool spare batt container.

Cheers TweakMDS and everyone else. Lots to think about. Thankyou, appreciate your advice everyone!

:thumbsup: