Couple new LED EDC's, Sunwayman v10r and LED Lenser's new P3 AFS P!

Pontiaker

Enlightened
My favorite lights are the small but powerful single cell stuff I EDC, currently a Jetbeam BC 10 running an rcr123 and one of two old modded single AAA lights. The Streamix original running the LD01 stainless head from the Christmas run they make every year. Or the same Streamlight body with a Preon head, both running the 10440.These have both been great lights, very powerful forward clicky with low and very high modes which make them perfect for me.

With that said I am always on the lookout for next best thing that fits my needs, mostly newer brighter small single cell lights.

I am a custom knifemaker and the Blade show was this past weekend, what a blast! The best thing was picking up a couple new lights from Going Gear and their awesome try before you buy light tables.

The Sunwayman has been around for awhile with the control ring so I finally grabbed one of those. Really wanted to get the same thing but the Jet Beam RRT01 with the control ring/strobe but could not find one at the show in stock for purchase.

Saved the best for last, this new Lenser P3 AFS P just blew me away! This thing is super bright with the bezel slid forward for the spot beam, beat out any other aaa light I have had and this is running a single AAA alkaline battery! Nice tight spot for great throw really super bright and the focus moved back to the flood setting is cool and kind of works as a low setting. I do wish it had a second brightness level, a nice low low setting would be great but I still like it the way it is. Anyone else grabbed one of these yet, the new version of the P3?

Your thoughts on any of these lights?
Thanks
Matt

Last edited:

VictorBMF

Newly Enlightened
Hey there, Matt, this is my first post here so go easy on me; yeah, i've got the LL P3 AFS P, been using it for about a year now, and at first i was just as blown away as you, but as time ran on, i became aware of it's flaws, as well.
First thing that really annoys me is the oh, so thin lanyard hole, or better yet, the thin, thin ring of Al that makes it out, it's so damn thin on the outside, you can't put a split ring on it, cause it will just wear down and tear out after a while, also, it's sharp and it will eat away at any lanyard thin enough to go through it. I quickly became aware of this(and the fact that it's preety much the same on all Led Lenser's models) and improvised myself a solution, i secured the pocket clip with narrow zip-tie to the body of the light, in order for it to be super secure, and attached a lanyard to the top hole on the clip. It's not the most elegant of solutions, and does spoil the esthetics of the light, but i rather be able to yank it out by pulling on the lanyard knowing there will be no long term damage to the light, or risk of loosing it.

Another most serious drawback to the light is the electronics of it. Not only that for such a big AAA light, there's only one mode, with a short battery life, but the damn thing isn't even regulated, the range of the WOW factor for this light, as far as the brightness and focusing can amaze one, is from 1.5-1.3V. Below that, it's dull as hell, almost useless. You couldn't even run it bright on NiMH (1.2V). It is now obvious to me why everywhere i turned i heard Led Lenser is overrated, it is true, the only thing they've got going for them is the focusing system, other than that, migrate away from them as quickly as you can.

Oh, and this morning(that's why i'm so angry), I dropped the thing and the lens came loose, i had to screw back the plastic retainer ring in the head. THQ.

BlueSwede

Newly Enlightened
Hi there...

Does anyone else have any experience with the Led Lenser P3 AFS P?

To bad it only has one mode but nevertheless it seems pretty cool with a 1xAAA keychain light with zoom.

Brgds... /BlueSwede

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Hi there...

Does anyone else have any experience with the Led Lenser P3 AFS P?

To bad it only has one mode but nevertheless it seems pretty cool with a 1xAAA keychain light with zoom.

Brgds... /BlueSwede
Well its been over a year and a half, have still been using the little Lenser and I still love it. I dont use a lanyard or pocket clip on my small EDC lights so the problems mentioned above dont affect my use of the light. I also currently run the Energizer or Duracell Litho batteries in mine and they work great. In my experience the light is very bright for quite awhile and when I notice it starts to dim its been so long I just install a new battery and its fresh again. If I am away from home or a battery source I can leave the used battery in the light and keep using it for again quite awhile before it goes completely dead. Its a great simple way to know what condition your battery is in. This day and age with all the fancy new lights with power meters, etc, the old system of a dimming light means your gonna need a battery soon works fine for me. I prefer unregulated lights just for this reason, you get the super bright you want when you need it and pretty much know your battery condition all the time. Unlike most 123 lights when the battery gets low it just turns off and you have no light left at all.Of course some of these lights have low settings you can still use at that point. With all this said I still always carry at least two lights and my favorite platform is still a single cell 123r light as small and as bright as I can get with the P3afs being a second light I tend to use them 50/50.They cover each others positives and negatives nicely. I bought a second P3 afs shortly after the first post above and they both have had lots of use, the ano is well worn but I have never had one fail to work as described in any way in the last 18-20 months since I first started using them. If I was to nit pick I have had a couple things happen, one is the sliding head gets some pocket lint in it once in awhile and after blowing out the dust just with my mouth it works perfectly again.But this pretty much happens to any light I pocket carry for a long time. The other thing that happened is the head did come loose and fell apart in my pocket. I just reassembled it and tightened it as much as a could with my fingers and it never happened again. The ano wear is kind of ugly but not really a big deal. Overall I would say you get what you pay for but I do feel with this light at its price point you get a little more than most lights in the same price range.
Matt

BlueSwede

Newly Enlightened
Well its been over a year and a half...

Thanks for taking the time and write such a helpful response!! I had pretty much decided I wanted to try this little light out, but now I'll feel a little bit better about actually taking the plunge. :)

Brgds... /BlueSwede

R_finland

Newly Enlightened
Hi

Couple comments after being used P3 AFS p on a keychain around a year. Anodizing is quite well beaten up, the lens keep up loosening, also the threaded ring around the led (that is attaching the sliding head assembly to the body) keep loosening and they need to be retightened every now and then. No other problems with it. Still super bright with panasonic hhr-4mve nimh accu. Beats the zebralight SC52 L2 (loaded with eneloop) in throw completion with its super tight beam. In every other aspect the small thing has been ok:twothumbs The worn out appearance does not bother me, but the mechanical problems do. So it is not the best on a keychain use where it receives a punishment all the time. IMO

Gorm veggerby

Newly Enlightened
If anyone want a lanyard in this nice little light, just use some dyneema guy line 0,7 mm take out the inner strands, so you can thread it and then tie your preferable knot, I have used this setup for many months and it works

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums