Two new Stanley FAT MAX LED Spotlights out

my#1hobby

Enlightened
I was at Walmart today and noticed they had two new Stanley LED spotlights, one was $49.99 and claimed up to 2000 lumens with a Li-ion rechargeable cell and the other smaller one was 530 lumens or something close to that. The lumen claims I'm sure are bogus because the larger one that claims 2000 lumens looks to be a single XM-L and I couldn't tell what the LED in the smaller spotlight was. I still find it cool that they are using an XM-L and trying to keep up with the newest LEDs. I may pick one up this weekend but I don't know yet....:thinking:

P.S. sorry no pics, my phone was in my car. :shakehead

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Two new Stanley LED Spotlights out

My first response is wow, it's got a SST-90 in there for $49, what a deal!
Upon further reading, Looks like Stanley is spreading the spotlight performance hyping tradition in the led area, what a shame.

The incan spot lights has long been plagued by serious performance hyping, I.E. 15 Million cp spot light has measured CP of 400K or less (>37.5 fold performance hype), the rest of the models are hyped up proportionally as no one wants to under-claim their competitors. Average consumer doesn't know, my moon blaster shhort arc is 16 MCP, they are like, what's the big deal? I have a 15 MCP spotlight. LOL. by this method, My Swan Blaster short arc has 50*37.5 MCP, I.E 1875 Million Marketing CPs or "2 Billion CP Spotlight":nana:

Last edited:

cccpull

Enlightened

Does it have n SST-90? If it does, why can't it produce 2000 lumen?

cccpull

Enlightened

I wish it did! It looked like an XM-L, that's why I said their lumen claim was bogus.

Yeah, I missed that. I read yours and ma sha1's posts too quickly. Would have been nice, though. It still could have 1000+ lumen.:thinking:

my#1hobby

Enlightened

Yeah, I missed that. I read yours and ma sha1's posts too quickly. Would have been nice, though. It still could have 1000+ lumen.:thinking:

It's possible, but there weren't really any more specs other than it saying in big letters "UP TO 2000 LUMENS!" . I wish the package had more info on the battery and runtime.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

I charged mine overnight. Compared to a Torchlab dropin running about 800 lumens. All-flood high-cri vs. cool-white "snow tint" xml spot.

7374396956_84dca10702.jpg

I'll bring it on this road trip. Maybe compare to my stanley 35w HID.

It has 2 modes, full and half. They say it can run continuously on car 12v, and run while charging on the 12v, 500 mA wall plug.

Edit: Looking at this at work, it looks like there must be over 1000 lumens in the hot spot. But relative comparisons between CCTs are tough. I hope to compare to the HID this weekend, maybe with photos.

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic

Although the SST-90 would give pretty amazing performance in any of these large reflectored spots, I think that we can permanently rule out low cost examples on the basis of power supply and materials. No way they'll be running a SST-90 at 8-9A off a 3ah SLA or making large copper or aluminum heat sinks for them.

I would like to see a de-domed SST-90 in a 9" spotlight though, just to see the beam profile and take a lux reading. :)

kramer5150

Flashaholic

Hey Applesnail... can you measure the reflector dish diameter? Is the front window glass or plastic?

The throwiest XML hand-held lights under ~$100 top out at around 50K lux with reflectors ~55mm across. If that stanley dish is a lot bigger than 55mm, I'm getting one.

thanks!!

my#1hobby

Enlightened

I charged mine overnight. Compared to a Torchlab dropin running about 800 lumens. All-flood high-cri vs. cool-white "snow tint" xml spot.

7374396956_84dca10702.jpg

I'll bring it on this road trip. Maybe compare to my stanley 35w HID.

It has 2 modes, full and half. They say it can run continuously on car 12v, and run while charging on the 12v, 500 mA wall plug.

Edit: Looking at this at work, it looks like there must be over 1000 lumens in the hot spot. But relative comparisons between CCTs are tough. I hope to compare to the HID this weekend, maybe with photos.
Thanks for the pic AnAppleSnail, I'm surprised that it is even putting out that many lumens. Someone who bought one started a thread on this over in the LED section too and he says the hotspot looks twice as bright and 3 times smaller than his SWM T40CS, and very close in throw compared to his Dereelight ez900 Aspheric. I will be getting one this weekend. ;)

Jay611j

Enlightened

I posted some pictures of the FatMax in the other thread in the LED section.

my#1hobby

Enlightened

I figure I'll post this here too....Got a chance to play with my new FatMax and I'm super impressed with the output and throw on it. It's not too often that I get impressed with a light from Walmart. It's smaller than I expected it to be and really light. As soon as it charged up I pulled out my S12 figuring the Stanley had no chance and pointed the S12 down my hallway and then turned on the Stanley and it just completely blew the S12 away, the hotspot is really intense!

Also, does anyone's wall charger make a slight high pitch squeal?

BradTheNailer

Newly Enlightened

I'm a little bummed I can't find one of these in my area. (North Houston) I've been to several Wal-marts and they only carry Brinkmann or Black & Decker, no Stanley lights.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

Glass lens. Haven't measured the bezel. No charger squeal. Almost as bright as the stanley hid. Pardon brevity.

7390466162_01e1041c3c_c.jpg

Beams compared.
7390454624_989b95fb31_z.jpg

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

530 lumens from an XP-C
2000 lumens from an XM-L

Why not finish the sentence? "...in fantasy land?" It's pretty dang bright, though; not too far from the Stanley HID.

All I can do is compare what I've got. Ceiling bounce indicates over 1000 lumens, and probably less than 2000. I'm certainly curious what they did in "internal testing" to reach 2000 lumens as claimed.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh, who really thinks they tested these?!?!? ;-)

If anybody knows what an xp-c is, they know how ridiculous it is to be claiming 530 lumsn from that, or even 2000 lumens from an XM-L

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh, who really thinks they tested these?!?!? ;-)

If anybody knows what an xp-c is, they know how ridiculous it is to be claiming 530 lumsn from that, or even 2000 lumens from an XM-L

Well, I'm just saying that I can think of some out-of-the-box ways to get 2000 lumens from an XM-L for a bit, but I wouldn't even solder wires to it for that "test." Anyway, it's not a bad spotlight. I haven't done a runtime test, and I'm getting here by phone mostly and can't find other threads on it.

Original wording seemed like a personal attack.
No problem. I didn't see it, and I do think the 2000 lumen claim must be creatively defined. That'd be what, 15-20W to the LED? I've got a triple Nichia that takes 15W, and the Stanley doesn't get warm like that.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast

^yeah, I heard that the extra lumens comes from the bond wires glowing from all the current ;-)

Well, at the very least (if anyone can get into these things), they'd make a great host for trying to overdrive an XML to try to meet that claim. You could easily fit a good sized heatsink or even just a huge slug of copper in there, maybe even a peltier for that extra boost. Plus, gotta love that gigant-o-reflector. I bet the XP-C version throws pretty well too, especially taking into account how small the xp-c emitter is compared to the xm-l.

I am curious to see guts pics, esp. of the heatsinking and the thermal train. And it would be neat to learn how hard they are driving the LED.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic

^yeah, I heard that the extra lumens comes from the bond wires glowing from all the current ;-)

Well, at the very least (if anyone can get into these things), they'd make a great host for trying to overdrive an XML to try to meet that claim. You could easily fit a good sized heatsink or even just a huge slug of copper in there, maybe even a peltier for that extra boost. Plus, gotta love that gigant-o-reflector. I bet the XP-C version throws pretty well too, especially taking into account how small the xp-c emitter is compared to the xm-l.

I'd be very surprised the xp-c version threw well at all, given how low the surface brightness is for that LED. It will be a small-tight spot, but not very bright at all.

Theres a discussion thread on these in the LED flashlight sub forum.