Question about 18650 cells and summer heat

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for suggestions on storing cells in my vehicle. I'm a HVAC tech, i work extremely long hours. Some days even into the next morning. Ive considered storing them in a sealed container in a cooler. Even though they would be sealed there will be some level of moisture. Suggestions? Experiences? Effects?

angoam

Newly Enlightened
I was worked in HVAC many years in NYC - very hot at summer, espetially on roof top. Never store battery on cooler, only drinks:) Only one issue was with Li-Ion battery power tools. If you left them on roof top not in shadow in sammer time, tools stop working untill cools down, due to protection circuit inside the battery. But NEVER in my van! No such problems with Ni-Cd battery

Good idea about moisture. When you remove stuff from cooler/freezer it becomes wet by condensation. Water more harmful for electronics then heat...

But try to avoid using and charging very hot Li-Ion cells.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I use mine for inspection, and the lights, and spare cells, etc, are in my truck most of the time.

I've never had a problem...but I imagine that its possible.

I use coolers to keep the stuff in, mostly because they are the right shape and easily carried...and, they temper the temperature fluctuations. I have never added blue ice, etc, to cool them...or heat for the winter either...they suffer through what ever the truck interior goes through.

I do tend to crack the windows, etc, if its hot/use sun shades...and other measures to address the truck getting hot, but because I don't like it to take a long time to get cool when I get back in. :D

As mentioned, just like anything else that is chilled, and then brought into a warm humid area....it will encourage the formation of condensation. Now, this should be on the OUTSIDE of the light...unless there was moisture IN the light to start with. (They are pretty well sealed typically).

Lichtinsdunkel

Newly Enlightened
I' m no expert on batteries, but generally speaking, that high storage temperatures shorten the life of the cells. The efficiency decreases with low temperature.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've since been keeping them in a small bag cooler. I have a small blue ice pack in a insulated zipper bag i put in with the lights and cells. So far it keeps them cool, not cold. Haven't seen any problems with sweating yet. It was 97° here today.

angoam

Newly Enlightened
I've since been keeping them in a small bag cooler. I have a small blue ice pack in a insulated zipper bag i put in with the lights and cells. So far it keeps them cool, not cold. Haven't seen any problems with sweating yet. It was 97° here today.

If you using "passive" cooling bag (non electric) with cold accumulating blue packs, it is no disadvantages to keeping spare cells in that cooler in your truck. Espetially, if you already using this cooler for drinks... But, I don`t think, it is absolutely nessessery to store battareys in cooler:) IMHO

Flashlight Enthusiast
nearly all lithiums are good to 65C/149F(consumer rated), and special ones like Panasonic Br/ASSP are good to 85C/185F (used in missiles)

so I would say 149F is about the max you want to expose the batts to
unless you know the manufacturer rating...then stick with that rating

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you using "passive" cooling bag (non electric) with cold accumulating blue packs, it is no disadvantages to keeping spare cells in that cooler in your truck. Espetially, if you already using this cooler for drinks... But, I don`t think, it is absolutely nessessery to store battareys in cooler:) IMHO

I keep my drinks in a separate cooler. It may not be necessary, i tend to overdo things.