UK Lantern Search

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello guys, looking at buying a few lanterns for my camping trip in August.

Ive read through a lot of posts in this section and the 2 that seem hot topics are the Black Diamond Apollo and the renamed several times Rayovac 300 lumen 4D, i have found a silverpoint and a cyba light rename which look the same. Which is when i started to get confused.

I've not heard a lot of talk on the Apollos bigger brother the Titan, seems like a good lantern.

Also not heard a lot on the Kelty Lumacamp, but looks like another good contender, on the more expensive side.

What i think is essential in a lantern used for lighting a large tent to a cpf members standard is quality of light, tint, smoothness, coverage. Also modes, high and low fixed outputs a minimal standard, variable would be great. Build must be good and sturdy and have a decent runtime.

Dont forget light output, i figure 200-300 lumens max would keep me happy during activitys, dimming a bit for a bit more ambience.

Also power source, anything really, not sure of i would bother with rechargeables, AA and CR123 preffered, AAA ok, also realize D sized as a given.

I would also need a few more smaller lanterns which i can hang above each compartment, living area, storage area and sleeping area, enough to comfortably read a book with ideally. I found my H30 hung from the roof sufficed for these tasks on the medium level, cant remember the lumens.

Im also looking for good places to look for lanterns in the UK preferably.

Also interested in modding out the emitter for a better tint/runtime. I like breaking things to make them better!

I hope this isn't too big and messy a post but never really considered lanterns before

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the coleman 4d cree lantern which you can get in the uk easily and is also quite cheap. I modded mine with a neutral xm-l which was a fairly easy job. I'm thinking of modding it again to the nichia nvsl219 hi cri.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty easy led swap. You can unscrew the lantern with a standard philips screwdriver. Just remember how it came apart, so you can put it back together again. The stock cree xre comes mounted on a round pcb which is screwed on to a heatsink with thermal paste in between. I just unscrewed the pcb, cleaned off the paste and attached the new one with thermal epoxy.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm sounds easy enough, are you in the uk i take it. Where do buy leds from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in scotland too actually but i get my cree leds from cutter in australia as they let you choose the exact tint.
I get the high cri neutral nichia from illumination supply in the US, might not be in stock though.