I was wondering if you had to choose a light for working in a server room / data closet / data center what would you choose?
I was recently tasked with this and here are some of the constraints.
- must be simple (tech nerds are not all flashaholics) so mode changing should not be required or be really obvious.
- preferably turns on immediately in a medium brightness (20 - 50 lumens depending on beam pattern), the less need for mode changing the better
- usable a short ranges (as it will probably mostly be used to see into computers or behind network patches or under the floors for cabling.)
- not a head lamp (I know a head lamp is the best here, but I don't see your average tech guy strapping on a head lamp, well not the cool ones in my office anyway)
- Preferably runs on standard batteries, AAA, AA, D, C
- money is not really an object here.
So I was in a rush to get the standard server room kit together, so I've gone out and bought this already. For me it was a toss up between the fenix ld12, e11, and mc11.
They were all easy to use, had decent mediums and could be setup to turn on into medium brightness. For ui the ld12 or e11 were the most brain dead. The mc11 acceptable as I could put it in med and the memory would take care of it.
I was leaning towards the e11, but my local store (warriors and wonders in vancouver) was out. I was pretty set on the ld12, but then at the last moment chose the mc11 because of it's shape, ability to act like a work lamp and it's included diffuser.
the only other thoughts I had was a 4Sevens P0, but it doesn't instantly turn on at a decent brightness. I thought the magnet would have been handy (though also not the greatest around Hard drives)
Also consider the fenix LD05 or 4Sevens Preon2, as a pen shaped light would have been rather handy too.
So given the constraints what would you buy?