Maxpedition - Active Shooter Bag 4
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: **NEW** Fenix E40 (4AA, XP-E R4, 17500cd)

Default Re: **NEW** Fenix E40 (4AA, XP-E R4, 17500cd)

Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    Today I picked up the E40 from the post office. Short impression:

The plastic handle is nice but as I supposed, just slightly slipper compared to the composite handle of Jetbeam PA40, but not a problem. I find changing the modes works good with one hand.
    The tint is very cool but I am glad it's no greenish in my example. As we understood this is a thrower, and a serious one. At 220lm mode it outthrows Fenix TK30 at 630lm mode!
    Hotspot is very focused similar to TK50 and with a slight corona. When I compare it to Fenix TK20 I found that the spill actually isn't much more brighter, very similar. The hotspot, however, is almost 4 times brighter. A much bigger part of the around 70% higher total output is consequently placed in the very intense hotspot.
    Total spill width is exactly the same size as TK20. Compared to Fenix TK10 it's slightly brighter as one could expect based on the new ANSI lumen measuring.

When I try E40 around the house I got a similar feeling like with TK50: the brightness difference between hotspot and spill is so large, and the extremely intense hotpot makes so much attention so it isn't really comfortable. I actually had prefered a textured reflector to smooth out the beam out a bit, the throw had been good anyway.

I post some beamshots compared to Fenix TK20 with same aperture. TK20 to left and E40 to right.

First 1/15s for comparing the spill and tint:

Then at 1/1000s which clearly shows the difference of hotspot intensity:

Updated: I just finished a runtime test at 220lm mode. The batteries are IKEA alkalines, exp. date: 2017-01-30.
    The light was standing in a cup shining up on the ceiling without any active cooling. I checked the lightmeter every 10 minute. During the first 30 minutes the brightness slowly dropped to 90% of initial and after that absolutely stable to more than 1 hour and 30 minutes. At 1 hour and 40 minutes the brightness had dropped to 58%.
    I didn't notice exactly were it went out of regulation but at the moment I noticed it on the lightmeter it dropped pretty fast so I think it had begun only some minute ago or so. The result is then practically stable output for almost 1 hour and 40 minutes. Actually I had expected slightly longer time. Considering Jetbeam PA40 did 3 hours and 50 minutes at 220lm mode it's very clear that the efficiency is far lower. Anyway this is a budget model and do you want a great 4AA thrower it's a cheap way to go! More than 1,5 hours regulated output with cheap alkalines at highest mode still makes E40 very useful if you don't have NiMh or Lithium cells.

This maybe the TK20 replacement that I have been looking for...

Lovin' that photo 'n review !

Awesome mini review there swedpat

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Ezeriel View Post
    This maybe the TK20 replacement that I have been looking for...

Lovin' that photo 'n review !
    You will not be dissatisfied if you want a much better thrower, neither if you want more runtime with alkalines. Earlier I measured the runtime with TK20 and it was 30 minutes at 150lm mode, so even if E40 isn't that efficient as the XM-L models you still get more light-hours per battery than TK20.
    Just take in consider: if you have appreciated the warm tint of TK20 you will possibly not appreciate the cool tint of E40.
    Because of the brightness difference between hotspot and spill I described I will not consider E40 as an allround light, it's in the same category like TK50: mainly a thrower. However, this problem is solved if one find or build a diffuser to it!
    You can also imagine the difference between TK20 and E40 this way: take TK20 and change it to cool tint, keep the spill brightness but increase hotspot brightness 4 times.

Quote Originally Posted by firelord777 View Post
    Awesome mini review there swedpat
    Thanks for the kind words!
    Last edited by Swedpat; 08-05-2012 at 03:05 AM.

ok.. i'm dreaming about this light now... any chance of an outdoor beamshot or comparison?

Flashaholic

ok.. i'm dreaming about this light now... any chance of an outdoor beamshot or comparison?
    4xAA and it only puts out 220lumens. Am I missing something? I have an LED Lenser on 4xAAA (and Lensers are about 5 years behind in technology) and it does around the same.

The Fenix E40 is a budget light with throw to compensate for the lack of output. The XP-E R4 is cheap and keeps the price down. Using 4 x NiMH low self discharge 2500mAh cells. I would expect the E40 to be well regulated and long runtimes.

Agreed this light is not for everyone, but then again no light is. It is matter of preference and what you want the light for. I generally prefer lights with throw

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE LED View Post
    The Fenix E40 is a budget light with throw to compensate for the lack of output. The XP-E R4 is cheap and keeps the price down. Using 4 x NiMH low self discharge 2500mAh cells. I would expect the E40 to be well regulated and long runtimes.

Agreed this light is not for everyone, but then again no light is. It is matter of preference and what you want the light for. I generally prefer lights with throw
    I understand. Cheers BLUE_LED

Quote Originally Posted by rambo180 View Post
    4xAA and it only puts out 220lumens. Am I missing something? I have an LED Lenser on 4xAAA (and Lensers are about 5 years behind in technology) and it does around the same.
    It does seem like a joke of a light, but it's the only xp-e r4 light out there, and I'm intrigued. as far as I know the XR-E Q5 was the last nail-in-the-coffin for the XP-E, and yet here it is.. throwing for 17500cd.. which is better than most anything out there.... at $50

It does seem like a joke of a light, but it's the only xp-e r4 light out there, and I'm intrigued. as far as I know the XR-E Q5 was the last nail-in-the-coffin for the XP-E, and yet here it is.. throwing for 17500cd.. which is better than most anything out there.... at $50
    Ezeriel, I agree,

The strength in the E40 is not its brightness, but it's throw. Sure, it's bright, but other lights aimed at brightness usually need much more power to have the same throw, because for example, we have a XM-L and an XP-E. While the XM-L is capable of producing much more light, it is a bigger diode with less surface brightness, therefore, it won't throw as good as an XP-E, which is a smaller diode but with higher surface brightness.

That's not to say that XM-Ls will never beat XP-Es in throw, there are other factors and limitations. Reflector size (the bigger, the tighter the beam, which allows for more throwing power), power source limits, (2 18650 will obviously supply higher current than 1 18650, as an example), how many amps are being driven, to name a few.

I'm thankful swedpat shared his impressions with us, good job bud!

Cheers

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by firelord777 View Post
    Ezeriel, I agree,

The strength in the E40 is not its brightness, but it's throw. Sure, it's bright, but other lights aimed at brightness usually need much more power to have the same throw, because for example, we have a XM-L and an XP-E. While the XM-L is capable of producing much more light, it is a bigger diode with less surface brightness, therefore, it won't throw as good as an XP-E, which is a smaller diode but with higher surface brightness.

That's not to say that XM-Ls will never beat XP-Es in throw, there are other factors and limitations. Reflector size (the bigger, the tighter the beam, which allows for more throwing power), power source limits, (2 18650 will obviously supply higher current than 1 18650, as an example), how many amps are being driven, to name a few.

I'm thankful swedpat shared his impressions with us, good job bud!

Cheers
    Hi Firelord, just a few short questions - is the XP-E and R5 kinda obselete now, surpassed by the XM-L? In terms of light output compared to power consumption (EFFICIENCY).

Or, is the XM-L just more popular because its a more popular style of light (less throwy, wider beam)?

Also, how FAR does this E40 actually throw? The golden question!

cheers

(I think someone at post 30 also commented about the seemingly low output, thats for the responses on this - hope no-one else asks as it now seems like a silly questions.)
    Last edited by rambo180; 08-06-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Hi Firelord, just a few short questions - is the XP-E and R5 kinda obselete now, surpassed by the XM-L? In terms of light output compared to power consumption (EFFICIENCY).

Or, is the XM-L just more popular because its a more popular style of light (less throwy, wider beam)?

Also, how FAR does this E40 actually throw? The golden question!

cheers

(I think someone at post 30 also commented about the seemingly low output, thats for the responses on this - hope no-one else asks as it now seems like a silly questions.)
    The XM-L is a more efficient diode capable of a much higher lumen out put. The advantage that the XP-E has on it, though, is it's small size. This makes it easier to throw the beam farther in a smaller package. That way you don't need a reflector the same size as the TK41 to get awesome throw. The big downside end sup being the runtime. A properly regulated XM-L could last for 10+ hours at 240 lumens in this set, where as you only get a couple hours of runtime with the XP-E.

As far as how far the E40 will throw, I am going to venture the numbers 150ft to 200ft (approx. 45-60m) of useful light; at the outside most. I have a 438ft (133m) long drive way. I can just barely see the end with 30,000 candle power and I can see about a third of the driveway with 10,000 candlepower. Based off of that I would say the 17,500 candle power E40 would almost reach half way up my driveway.
    "Maybe you should just stick to fire on a stick... it's received excellent reviews here - plus it's a time tested design..."

Flashaholic*

I found that Fenix actually offer a diffuser for TK40, 41 and 60 lights.

Now I am waiting for a diffuser to E40 and LD40/41 as well. This would highly increase the usefulness especially for E40 with it's small and very intensive hotspot which makes it uncomfortable at short distance, especially against walls. Fenix, are you reading this?
    Last edited by Swedpat; 08-06-2012 at 11:28 AM.

I found that Fenix actually offer a diffuser for TK40, 41 and 60 lights: http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=109
    I Need One Of These....... Now....
    I have no legitimate use for a diffuser, but for some strange reason I absolutely must own one...
    "Maybe you should just stick to fire on a stick... it's received excellent reviews here - plus it's a time tested design..."

Now I am waiting for a diffuser to E40 and LD40/41 as well.
    I'm sure you can find something to use, drink bottle perhaps. Before the TK40 diffuser, I made one myself:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post2931473

Strangely enough, that LL probably uses a XP-E too.

Flashaholic

thankyou simulatedzero.

Quote Originally Posted by SimulatedZero View Post
    The XM-L is a more efficient diode capable of a much higher lumen out put. The advantage that the XP-E has on it, though, is it's small size. This makes it easier to throw the beam farther in a smaller package. That way you don't need a reflector the same size as the TK41 to get awesome throw. The big downside end sup being the runtime. A properly regulated XM-L could last for 10+ hours at 240 lumens in this set, where as you only get a couple hours of runtime with the XP-E.

As far as how far the E40 will throw, I am going to venture the numbers 150ft to 200ft (approx. 45-60m) of useful light; at the outside most. I have a 438ft (133m) long drive way. I can just barely see the end with 30,000 candle power and I can see about a third of the driveway with 10,000 candlepower. Based off of that I would say the 17,500 candle power E40 would almost reach half way up my driveway.
    Thank you SZ

Bump-pi-dee, bump, bump
    Bump-pi-dee, bump, bump
    over the hills we go...

Bump-pi-dee, bump, bump
    Bump-pi-dee, bump, bump
    can we get some outdoor pics of the throw?

I keep thinking about this light and I just need more information
    and the beamshots from fonarik just aren't doing it for me.... they changed the location for beamshots, and I can't tell what I'm looking at

Argh!!! I'm gonna have to buy this thing out of curiosity

http://fonarik.com/test/indexen.php?...scene=1&mode=2
    If you ask me what light to buy, I have an uncontrollable urge to say "Fenix"

Info; If you want a holster for the E40, the PA40 Jetbeam holster fits perfectly. -Got mine Jetbeam holster of eBay.

Last edited by kj2; 08-23-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Enlightened

Bump-pi-dee, bump, bump
    Bump-pi-dee, bump, bump
    over the hills we go...

Bump-pi-dee, bump, bump
    Bump-pi-dee, bump, bump
    can we get some outdoor pics of the throw?

I keep thinking about this light and I just need more information
    and the beamshots from fonarik just aren't doing it for me.... they changed the location for beamshots, and I can't tell what I'm looking at

Argh!!! I'm gonna have to buy this thing out of curiosity

http://fonarik.com/test/indexen.php?...scene=1&mode=2
    I agree completely. Would love to see a real review of this. There is a youtube video from BrightGuy that lets you see the size and shape and modes pretty well, but no mentions of beams or runtime on Eneloops or stuff like that. It seems to be a great light at the $45 price point.

I broke down and bought one... 5-7 days from now I'll post some pics or a video

Edit: It was the pics on this guys blog that pushed me over the edge... I figure the middle setting pic is about what a TK20 would be like
    http://www.antary.de/2012/08/06/fenix-e40-review/
    Last edited by Ezeriel; 08-23-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Given that the E25 has 2 hour 20 mins runtime on 2AA and 187 lumens, which is quite good for the XP-E, I wonder if this is also the newer efficient XP-E?

So I got my E40, and had two night-shifts to test it out.

*....my camera is no good for beamshots at night, so no pics ;(

The E40 is good quality for having a plastic body. It's not going to handle a hard fall as well as a metal light, but all-in-all, I'm ok with it.
    It's top-heavy with having a metal head 'n all... but it feels good to hold, solid. If you needed to, you could really swing it....

It's light levels are 34, 105, 220 and strobe.... the strobe is a variable one, it's brutal!!! ....but I would have preferred a 1-9 lumen setting instead of a strobe.

My lights beam pattern is a mess.. lol.. no wall hunting for me.
    I think the led might not be so much off-centered, as it seems to be tilted, and this is the only defect I can find.
    The beam is laserbeam-like with the hottest part of the hotspot being about 6 inches at 9 feet.
    At 100ish feet it's a 20ish foot hotspot...

My LD20 Q5 has about as much throw as my Shiningbeam neutral Spark, and my good ol' TK20 slightly out-throws them both.

At the 34 lumen setting, the E40 out-throws the LD20 at 90 lumens
    At the 105 lumen setting, the E40 out-throws all three of those lights
    At the 220 lumen setting, the E40 has as much throw as my TK45 at 760 lumens!

now lemme add some perspective to all of this...

The LD20 Q5 is no slouch in the throw department, and even on medium the E40 puts it to shame
    The E40 is more focused than the TK20, and although it nudges out the TK20 on it's medium setting, kicking it onto high
    lights up anything you were squinting at, with a TK20, like flipping on a light switch.
    The TK45 is no slouch either, as it is rated at 200 meters for throw, and although the E40 hotspot is much, much smaller,
    seeing it edge out TK45 is impressive.

So I started walking....

I hate ansi ratings for throw. They aren't actual readings, they are a calculation, and they just don't tell you much.
    So I shined the E40 down the road and started walking to estimate the distance of "usable light"
    I consider "usable" to be lighting a hillside and seeing deer, not just their eye-shine.
    I made it about 500 feet. 500 feet of usable light, and as I shined the light across the hillside, a max throw of 700-800 feet isn't unreasonable.

All-in-all, the E40 is a throw monster and anyone looking to upgrade from a tasforce 2c or TK20 should consider getting an E40.
    500 feet of usable throw is all I think I would ever want.. any more and I think my neighbors would call the cops...
    and for a light in the AA format, the E40 is second only to the TK41 (as far as I know)

Enlightened

I received mine yesterday. My review is going to sound a little brutal, but right up front: I am not returning it.

I feel like, for relativity, I should list off my lights: ITP A3 EOS R5 Upgrade, 2x E01, E11, 2x E21. So this is my best/brightest/biggest/most expensive light now.

I do not like the plastic body. It feels almost like nylon. I really wish it were metal with some real knurling. As it is now, it's basically like tread on a car tire. Eg, recessed linear grooves. Not a big fan.

Also, you can hear/feel the loaded battery cartridge when you shake it. The E21 is twice the fit and finish of this light, IMO.

This is my first light with dual switches. I find it uncomfortable to operate tactically. Eg, one handed, using thumb to turn on/off. The mode button is much more sensitive than the power button, and often has me switching the mode just before turning it off. Renders mode memory useless. If you rotate the light around to where the power button is on the bottom (so your thumb doesn't cross the mode button to hit the power), it is uncomfortable for your thumb. Might just be my hands. I would love the UI of the E21 in this light. On/off rear clicky, and a low/med/high twisty.

Those are all the negatives of the light. It has tremendous throw, even on low. I only played with it for about 15 in the dark yesterday (after checking out the light itself during the day time), but was thoroughly impressed. It seems like it is about twice the power of the E21. The throw is farther with wider hotspot. I lit up a tree approximately 100 yards away.

Summary:
    The UI / fit & finish definitely under-deliver at the $45 price point. 2.5/5
    The performance on the AA platform definitely deliver at the $45 price point. 5/5
    Again, using my small collection listed above for relativity. This is my most expensive light.
    Last edited by TOJ; 08-29-2012 at 08:18 AM.
    ITP A3 R5, 2x E01, E11, 2x E21, E40, Foursevens Mini ML XP-G2

Quote Originally Posted by TOJ View Post
    This is my first light with dual switches. I find it uncomfortable to operate tactically. Eg, one handed, using thumb to turn on/off. The mode button is much more sensitive than the power button, and often has me switching the mode just before turning it off. Renders mode memory useless. If you rotate the light around to where the power button is on the bottom (so your thumb doesn't cross the mode button to hit the power), it is uncomfortable for your thumb. Might just be my hands. I would love the UI of the E21 in this light. On/off rear clicky, and a low/med/high twisty.
    Ugh.. i forgot all about that. You are right on the money there; that dual switch is horrible....
    But after two days of fumbling around with it, I did get used to it, and I think I just forgot to mention how much I hated it when I first tried it out.

In the future, I can see this light having a side switch like the E25/E35

..and I forgot to say, the lanyard is funky enough that a person should need a boyscout badge in knot tying to use it.

I think what they intended, and I had to look up terminology for this, is that the small hoop be tied in a
    "larks head knot" to the big hoop and then the big hoop larks head knotted to the light...

that way you have a slipknot for your wrist.. or I totally flubbed up what it's supposed to be used for lol.

Enlightened

The lanyard confused me too. On the E21, you push the lanyard loop through the little hole on the flashlight and loop it around the on/off switch and then pull it tight.

On the E40, there are two small holes. What I did, was shove the small lanyard loop through one hole (from the outside, toward the switch), then through the second hole (from the switch, to the outside), then put the string of the lanyard through the remaining loop and pulled it tight.

Then, I took the lanyard back off because I realized I didn't want 9" of string dangling. Heh.
    Last edited by TOJ; 08-29-2012 at 01:39 PM.
    ITP A3 R5, 2x E01, E11, 2x E21, E40, Foursevens Mini ML XP-G2

Thanks for sharing TOJ

Haven't anybody put an XP-G2 led in one of their E40s yet? It should be just the difference of R5 vs R4 bins and an XP-G2 should still have wider die in theory but would it be more efficient or much more powerful, I don't know.

The problem is that the XP-G2 miight not focus well in the reflector. If it doesn't, then the beam profile will be ugly and not very bright. Then you will need to mod with an XP-E2.

Im happy with the led that it comes with
    Asilaydying1984 ON YOUTUBE

wow, so many replies and views.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast