Make Your Own International USB Power Supply!

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
** If you'd like to skip to the directions, click here **

I am looking at a 5V USB power supply on e-Bay; if you search "AC Adapter Wall Charger for SONY 3D Bloggie HD MHS-FS3" it should come right up.

This looks like an economical option for using my cottonpickers anywhere in the world. However, the cottonpickers has an IC which is the brains. All I want is the power supply.

This is the only one I could find online that meets the following criteria:

1) Supplies at least one amp current

2) Includes mechanical plug adapters for anywhere I might be

3) Has an attached USB cable (cottonpickers integral cable is short...this will allow me to put charger somewhere and charge the cell on a table or shelf...I don't want to worry about losing an extension cable and having one more point of resistance)

4) Terminates in a female, full size Type A plug

So:

Does anyone know if this is a charger with an IC that controls everything, or, just a power supply?

Auction number 300561848514 on e-Bay

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Is this a charger or a power supply?

Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Just to make absolutely certain, this is simply a power supply, and not a charger? The description reads "Advanced internal circuitry prevents your 3D Bloggie HD camera from overcharging and short-circuiting."

To me, it sounds like either:

a) There is something monitoring the charging process itself, which would suggest that it is indeed a charger

or,

b) It simply detects a fault condition if the device tries to pull too much current

?

Last edited:

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much for the quick reply.

Just to make absolutely certain, this is simply a power supply, and not a charger? The description reads "Advanced internal circuitry prevents your 3D Bloggie HD camera from overcharging and short-circuiting."

To me, it sounds like either:

a) There is something monitoring the charging process itself, which would suggest that it is indeed a charger

or,

b) It simply detects a fault condition if the device tries to pull too much current

?

Hi, I read well the description and now I have the same doubt, why you dont get a apple charger for iphone or ipad? Their are small and you can trust the 1 amp output and a usb extencion? I would do that...

SFMI4UT

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

1) I don't want a USB extension. It is one more cable to lose and introduces an additional point of contact/resistance.

2) I am looking for a power supply that includes international mechanical adapters.

3) I am looking for a power supply, not a charger.

I believe I found a suitable unit that meets my requirements with one minor, easily overcome shortcoming, and will post about it shortly. However, the web page is on a different computer which I cannot now access.

Hopefully by the end of the day I will update this thread with what I believe to be a quality product.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast

I found three suitable candidates which will work in my application. Hopefully, this thread helps fellow travelers who need a power supply capable of supplying 5 volts DC with different mechanical plug adapters and terminating in a female USB jack.

Option One

The power adapter that is included with the "TomTom Travel Kit" will work with a slight modification.

(pasted from an e-Bay auction)

AC Adapter specs:

* Input: 100-240V ~ /03.A, 47-63Hz
* Output: 5V = 2.0A

How to find out more on this product? If we scrutinize the image gleaned from e-Bay auctions, we can make out the product's model, A10P1-05MP. A quick google leads us here. Look familiar? It is the OEM charger, minus TomTom branding.

There! Now, we can see plainly that this is a power supply rated at 5V at up to 2 amps, with a barrel plug connector, and not a charger. You can order female USB jacks cheaply off e-Bay by searching "USB 4 Pin Jack Female Socket Connector Plastic Cover." Using the USB pinout data here, you can easily snip off the barrel connector and solder on the USB jack. You now have an international USB charger good up to 2 amps, which will certainly cover the cottonpickers as well as many other devices.

Option Two

Need something a little more heavy duty? Willing to trade a little extra bulk for specs in writing? No problem. Owners of the Pila IBC, grab your power supply. Does it look something like this? (link to PDF)

Now, go back to e-Bay and search these two part numbers:

a) 3A-161WP05 (rated up to 2.6 amps)

and

b) 3A-181WP05 (rated up to 3.2 amps)

These include RF chokes and a host of features as described in the PDF.

The "TomTom" / A10P1-05MP unit is slimmer, and for me, with weight being the primary concern, that is the one I went with. But with the CUI models, you get a lot more headroom, and I would bet, better build quality.

Well, there you have it, folks. A DIY guide to making an international USB terminated power supply. Do whatever you please with those five volts, just make sure not to exceed the current ceiling of whichever of the three power supplies you choose. :)

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
I am looking at a 5V USB power supply on e-Bay, number 300561848514 on the site.

It's advisable to include a description as ebay item# are quite short lived. Description "AC Adapter Wall Charger for SONY 3D Bloggie HD MHS-FS3"

Norm

bobjane

Enlightened
Well I don't think most people would have a fixed USB cable as one of their requirements. In which case there are USB power supplies with travel adaptors all over eBay and DX. I'd recommend DX SKU 65322 (5.1ishV 2.5A) or if you don't like cheapies the international charger for HP Touchpads (5.3V 2.0A).

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I don't think most people would have a fixed USB cable as one of their requirements.

This may very well be the case, and you are correct that if someone does not require an attached cable, then yes, there are plenty of options to choose from. However, my preference was for one with an attached cable, which generated this thread. Were it not for that preference, this thread would not exist. :)

For me, the two chief advantages are:

1) No extension cable to lose

2) The cottonpickers charger as it is cannot be used in many situations where a table is far away from a wall. This solution allows me to locate an outlet, even if several feet away, and put the battery in a secure location.

For a compact United States only power supply with foldable prongs, be sure to check out the related, but different thread here.