Armytek Predator flickering with new 18650s

mwb01

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

Last night I received a pair of Orbtronic 3100mAh 18650's from Amazon. They charged with no issues up to 4.19v and I put one in my Armytek Predator v1 that had previously been running off of 2 CR123A's. However, when I turned it on low mode (Default 7 lumen pre-programmed setting) it stayed in a state of flickering.

Some background info: my light (and I'm pretty sure everybody else's) would flicker for about half a second when entering the 7 lm mode. It pretty much looks like the same flickering that had been present with every other battery type, but instead of only lasting less than a second it keeps going. It isn't quite as constant as usual; sometimes it will stay on solidly for a few seconds before falling back into the flickering state.

The light works fine with my Solarforce 2400mAh Protected 18650's (tried at 4.13v) and Tenergy CR123A's, but both Orbtronics have this same problem. Since noticing the issue I've left the Predator on in 7 lm mode sitting next to me for about 35 minutes now and the flickering seems to be getting a little better (less constant), but it's still there.

Is this something that will disappear after a little use or is the Orbtronic/Armytek combo doomed to never work? Also, the Orbtronics work fine in my Fenix PD31 and Nailbender lights.

mwb01

Newly Enlightened
Problem solved: I had forgotten that the Predator has a battery selection option in the setup menu. After navigating through the menu with the help of this excellent guide by petrev, I selected the 18650 setting and all of my problems went away.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problem solved: I had forgotten that the Predator has a battery selection option in the setup menu. After navigating through the menu with the help of this excellent guide by petrev, I selected the 18650 setting and all of my problems went away.

what setting was it on? I have a predator but never thought much of the battery settings and didn't think those would make a different as long as the voltage was high enough

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your threads could be dirty if this happens again.

mwb01

Newly Enlightened
what setting was it on? I have a predator but never thought much of the battery settings and didn't think those would make a different as long as the voltage was high enough

It was set to the CR123A mode when malfunctioning with the 18650's, all of which were above 4v when malfunctioning. In 18650 Li-ion mode there is no problem.

I also never thought too much about the battery mode; I hadn't changed it since I got the light because I had always used it with CR123A primaries. I guess it does make a difference though.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was set to the CR123A mode when malfunctioning with the 18650's, all of which were above 4v when malfunctioning. In 18650 Li-ion mode there is no problem.

I also never thought too much about the battery mode; I hadn't changed it since I got the light because I had always used it with CR123A primaries. I guess it does make a difference though.

yeah that makes sense now that you mention it. 2x 123s if, at 4v, would be already far depleted by the time they hit 4v in total, so i guess i see now